1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Having a hard time finding another good job...

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by ItalynStylion, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Mar 15, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion [OP] Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    So New Years Eve (yeah really) I got laid off my job and I've been having trouble finding another job that has a career path within the DFW area. My previous job was working at The Planet, a dedicated server hosting company, as an inside sales representative. I knew jack shit about servers prior to entering that job and learned a lot. By the time I left there I was fluent.

Now I'm looking again but I think that knowing where to look is half my problem. I'm going to be 24 in April and I have a business degree (marketing major) from TCU. I run my own side business building and selling speakers and I'd really like to do something with "sound" as a career.

I'm pretty sure that I could go get a "job" but I'm really looking for a career which is why I haven't looked into some stuff. I'm almost to the point of getting a job/task until something better comes along.

How would you guys play this?

2. Mar 15, 2010 at 7:35 AM
    montgomery_30824

montgomery_30824 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Guyton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '06 prerunner 4dr
    K & N airfilter, custom built 10" sub boxes, pioneer head, mag-lite mod, Blue LED dash lights, custom painted engine cover, mud flap removal mod, alarm/remote start installed,
    Do what ya gotta do to take care of the bills/family until you find exactly what you are looking for.

3. Mar 15, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I'm still young so my bills are fairly minimal and I had put away a decent amount of money. I'm alright for the moment but it's getting to that point.

Besides Monster and Career Builder how do you all look for jobs? I seem to be sifting through tons of BS jobs just to find a few decent ones on there.

4. Mar 15, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    Some of us use a old but trusted method. WE PRAY TO GOD!
    Works all the time.
    Take care
    vbibi:(

5. Mar 15, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    What does god or any religion have to do with it... not a damn thing.

Anyway, I was fortunate enough to find some inside contacts and use connections to help get in. What I've seen the past almost 7 years at my job is, it's not what you know, but who you know. I know unfortuantly that doesn't really help you a lot but... perhaps if you do some demos and maybe try to hit up some sound conventions (is this home or car audio btw, if it's car that's even easier) and try to build a rep with the sound community and get to know the people in it. Showing off your talent and impressing people will get you a solid job your'e looking for in the career more than a piece of paper with a name and your creds on it ever will. GL on your hunt!

6. Mar 15, 2010 at 8:15 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Its all about who you know. When I got laid off this time last year I did the monster and career builder thing however I got a bunch of spam type jobs offers and emails, pyramid scheme offers, and other BS stuff I wanted nothing to do with. I ended up taking to resume off and deleting my profile. I kept in touch with an old boss and she ended up knowing a guy who was looking for a good analyst and I fit the person he was looking for. I was out of work for about 5 months. Fortunately I got a good severance package (about 7 mths of pay) and was able to overlap and get two salaries for two months.

I am about a year older than you so I know what you are going through. Just keep talking to people and and giving people your resume. See if you can get in touch with old colleagues and do a little networking. Especially at a young age with some good experience and a college degree under your belt you should be able to find something pretty quick. Also check with your old college and see if they have any networking stuff available for alumni.

7. Mar 15, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    couldn't agree more. Try to attend some trade shows, seminars, etcs. Every job I have ever had was the result of knowing someone. In fact I was able to land my little sister a job last week because a colleague of mine put in a good word for her at his old employer.

8. Mar 15, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that's what I've been trying to do. I went to CES this year (first time) and I've been building stuff like crazy. I've been doing a lot of builds lately just to put my work out there and sort of make a name for myself. It's been working quite well but I just need to get THE connection that will bring me a paycheck.

I'd really like to do that for a living but I'm not sure how much room there is in the industry for me at the moment. I'm trying to find something that will use my degree as well but any time I type in 'Marketing' in a job search I get all the pyramid schemes and BS that you were talking about. It pisses me off.

9. Apr 7, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    Good luck on the job search. Have you looked beyond Dallas? FortWorth is nice. Or even Houston. The job market sucks right now and I don't see it getting better for a few years.

To Top