1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Having a Problem w/Stock 12v/110v Inverter: 400W Not Staying On?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ostrichsak, May 19, 2012.

1. May 19, 2012 at 12:09 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak [OP] Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    Today I was mowing a yard with a rechargeable mower. It died so I had the battery out of the mower and plugged into the charger in the bed. I started the truck and hit the switch which lit up the 100W indicator. I then hit it again which lit up the 400W indicator. I took off down the road and was confused when I looked down a little bit later and the 400W light was off. I need as much power as I can get so I hit the button a couple times and no matter what I did the 400W wouldn't stay on. It would come on occasionally but then shut off again right away. I had another stop and when I returned I started the truck again and hit the switch. I noticed that the 400W came on and stayed on but then within a few seconds it was off again. It did stay on longer than previously but ultimately it wouldn't stay on. This doesn't seem right to me and I guess I don't fully grasp how this setup is supposed to work. Could it have something to do with the sine wave and this charger? I don't really know a ton about inverters but know that 1) this one isn't the best quality and 2) even if I could get it to kick out 400W the charge time on this battery would be pretty long.

I think I'm going to upgrade the stock inverter to something at least 2x more powerful and will likely wire it so that it can be running even with the key off. I will wire constant 12v with a switch so I can use it w/o the truck being on. I just need to find an affordable unit that fits where the stock one is now. Maybe I can could wire the stock switch to just be an on/off switch too to keep up the stock look. For now I would just like to make sure this stock one is functioning as it was intended though.

Thanks for the help.

2. May 19, 2012 at 12:14 AM
    bamma

bamma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 silver acc cab trd OR 4x4
    When you are driving the inverter stays at 100W unless you do the mod.

3. May 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM
    mirraman

mirraman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    98 4Runner Limited 4X4 e-locker :-)
    99 4Runner springs all around: 1" over factory.
    If you have the truck in gear it will automatically switch to 100W. It's a safety thing. You can only use the 400W when parked.

4. May 19, 2012 at 12:23 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak [OP] Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    Ah.. ok. See, I thought it was the other way around. I thought the engineers decided that the alternator needed to be running at higher revs to keep the electrical system charged. Now that I know how it actually works I will keep that in mind. I would have spent more time in park today had I known that.

That being said I will still likely look into changing out for a better unit that I can run full power anytime. I will likely do the anytime mod in the meantime. I was going to do it the other day but wanted to get an outlet to install while I was in there. If I decide to use an aftermarket unit I will likely have the plug ins that are on that that I can utilize.

I still need to do that math to see how long it would take to charge one of these batteries even on 400W. I also need to do the math on how long it would take to run down the truck's battery with the engine not running.

To Top