1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

having a shop rebuild my drivetrain?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Greensystemsgo, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Dec 20, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo [OP] Clean 1 owner with low miles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    99' 4x4
    Suspension/bumpers/lights/sound/wheels and tires/old man tan camper
    replaced a ujoint and carrier bearing 2000 miles ago and apparently I didn't properly mark it so now its off balance.

Called a shop, arizona differential, and they quoted me 1350-1500 to fix what I feel is a lot.

Rebuild/regear both diffs, rebuild/reseal transfer/tranny, rebuild/rebalance drive shaft, install tranny mount, and flywheel. This includes wheel bearings. The mount/flywheel I already have as well as one ujoint.

What's everyones thoughts? I wish I could do it myself, but don't have the time, and need the reliability. And a warranty is nice too.

As for the regear, he said maybe 5.29s I think? At 55mph I'm at 2000rpm. Its killing me as I do aloooooot of free way driving.

I'm going to try and put up with wobby driveshaft until I can get my lt ucas rebuilt so I can have em install those too as they're gonna have spindle pulled anyways. Also will have new lower bushings installed.

2. Dec 20, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    brs127s

brs127s Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    Just curious, why are you rebuilding the whole drive line? What size tires are you running? You don't need to regear unless you are running bigger tires. Unless you are leaking fluids from somewhere or had a mechanical failure, the out of balance driveshaft would not have affected anything else.

If it is just your drive shaft that is out of balance, you should be able to line that back up yourself. All the zerks should be facing the same direction. This happened to mine when I took it off and had one shop check my u-joints out. They said my u-joints were okay, but even I knew they were full of crap (one of my joints had a flat spot in it) While they had it, they pulled the slip shaft out and rotated it 1/2 turn (I didn't notice this). It really had a shake when I put the driveshaft back on.

I took the driveshaft to a true driveline shop. They told me the joint was bad and also showed me that the slip shaft had been rotated. I went ahead and had them replace all the u-joints and rebalance my drive shaft. It ran about 175 bucks total. Nothing else was affected as far as the tranny or differentials were concerned.

3. Dec 20, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo [OP] Clean 1 owner with low miles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    99' 4x4
    Suspension/bumpers/lights/sound/wheels and tires/old man tan camper
    Everythings leaking. And it might be turned 90 or 180 degrees. Hence why a shop. I don't have time to replace the paper seals ona vehicle with 185k miles. This issue needs to be fixed.

As for the regear, I plan on 33s, I drive a lot of highway, and hate 2k rpm means 55mph.

To Top