1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hawaii or Bahamas?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by littledvl, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    Hiker

Hiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    HotZona
    Hawaii... Different islands offer different vacation styles. The big island and Maui is mostly family orientated, meaning LOTS OF KIDS. Kauai is more for couples, not so many kids. I have a timeshare on Kauai, north shore that I go to every other year. Lots of adventurous things to do there or just kick back on secluded beaches. I been to beaches there that were over a mile long and maybe 5 people on them. Here's a travel tip for Hawaii. Never fly Sat to Sat. Thoes fares will cost you the most as those are peak timeshare people travel days. Remember 80% of the people that go to Hawaii are TS people. You will pay $700 rt for Sat to Sat, but if you can fly on a Fri or Sun the fares drop to $400+. I always fly Sat to Sun and pay around $420 rt from Phx.

2. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    Choosing between Mexico and Hawaii I'd take Mexico every time. Whether Cancun/Quintana Roo coast or Baja it's awesome, the people are great and it's WAY cheaper than Hawaii. Hiking pyramids, diving in cenotes, shark fishing, and the food... awesome!

3. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    Silver 10

Silver 10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4
    Nitto Terra Grapplers, Leer XL100 cap , Cabelas Bug shield , Tinted windows, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Liners front and rear, seat belt mod, Rear TSB, K&N Air filter
    Hawaii all the way not even a comparison. Maui and as someone said Kanapali is a great place with activities over the place plus the Island of Maui is beautiful, the people are wonderful and the food is to die for all over the Island. Just save your money and enjoy your time with you and your lady.

4. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    Hiker

Hiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    HotZona
    It's too bad.. I just sold my week in Kauai last month, not going this year. I never have a problem getting $1000 for the week. Ocean front condo, one bedroom, two bath for 7 days/7 nights in the Princeville area. You won't find a room around there for under $200 a night.

5. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    littledvl

littledvl [OP] ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 / 15 tundra dc 4x4
    Too many to list

Well iv never really took a vacation, so all these places look amazing to me, haha. I just want to goto a amazing place, good food, good people, not gonna kill my bank account completely, and be able to relax.

6. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    VACATION? What is that? Make sure to post pics for those of who have forgotten what one is!

7. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    Hiker

Hiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    HotZona
    Mexico or Hawaii... that's like deciding whether to go to Walmart or Dillards. At least in Hawaii you don't have to worry about food poisining, getting shot, kidnapped, or all the others joyfull things Mexico has to offer.

8. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    x2 Maybe when I retire I can go on one of those!

9. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    Silver 10

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4
    Nitto Terra Grapplers, Leer XL100 cap , Cabelas Bug shield , Tinted windows, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Liners front and rear, seat belt mod, Rear TSB, K&N Air filter

Not to mention all the pain in the ass people trying to sell you complete junk everytime you turn around. Whether laying on a chair on the beach or walking around they bug you so bad I would never go back to mexico

10. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:

Food poisoning is a problem anywhere... kidnapping and getting shot? Yeah, probably won't happen in Hawaii. :D It all depends on where you go in Mexico... stick to Cancun, they keep it locked down pretty tight because tourism is the only thing keeping them going.

11. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    Hiker

Hiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    HotZona

What island?

12. Apr 26, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    Silver 10

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4
    ]

Boy that sounds fun going to a place they lock down. That means where you go is where you stay. Like all those kids who went on spring break and they had to stay in one area. If you go to Hawaii rent a car and go where you want and you will be safe, No brainer

13. Apr 26, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    My wife and I did a Hawaiian cruise years ago. It was too long to be on a boat. We stopped at 4 different islands but the stops weren't that long. Plus, sitting by a pool drinking 75% of the time isn't my usual description for fun.

If you do go on a cruise it will be more enjoyable if you go with a group of friends.

14. Apr 26, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    littledvl

littledvl [OP] ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list
    Haha, well im hoping to find out what one is... My gf on the other has been to Australia, New Zealand, Greece, ect all within the past 2 yrs.. Figured its about time I take a vacation..

I am gonna shoot for hawaii, not that interested in the the family side of it tho. But as you all have said there are different islands to check out. Still have alot of planning to do but if I just cant afford a decent trip to Hawaii I wil check out Puerto Vallarta or something along those lines.

15. Apr 26, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    808matt

808matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    19 Ranger
    kona... not very exciting.

16. Apr 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    littledvl

littledvl [OP] ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list
    That blows man, im hoping I dont have that kinda trip.. But im sure those kinda things can happen going anywhere. But as far as it not being your type of place, I might be that way but I wont know until I try it, haha.

I wont take a cruise to Hawaii, I can see it being too long for sure. I can just take a cruise later on for another vacation, and when I have friends that arnt cheap, haha.

17. Apr 26, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    str8up50

str8up50 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    will
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Pre Runner TRD Off
    Go to Mexico...you wont be disappointed. Hawaii is OK but so damn expensive

18. Apr 26, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    I love Hawaii, Big Island to be exact. My wife has family in Hilo and her parents have a house there up by the volcano. Its pretty nice to go to big island you can go snowboarding in the a.m. and surfing in the p.m. Big Island is very chill. We spent a couple of days in Waikiki and I hated it, too many damn people, felt like I was in LA.
    Just my .02

19. Apr 26, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    BigIslandWahine

BigIslandWahine aita peapea

Member:
    First Name:
    Pualilia
    Island of Hawai'i, Northern Tip
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport DC Longbed 4x4
    all stock except sounds. tint, Wet Okoles, Campershell w/Racks
    ok...I'll give you the real scoop on Hawai'i...1st off, you need to decide if you like touristy tropical Hawaii hotel stuff...or real Hawaii adventure explore...
    Every island has it's own feel, and almost every island has touristy hotel shit. I personally can't stand the touristy hotel shit, but I'm a local:cool:,...

Kauai- (I just got back from there yesterday) BEAUTIFUL and killer unreal forever long awesome beaches. Lots of people...tourists, hippies and sometimes angry locals (I don't blame them, they have to deal with idiots alot of the time) although most that I met were very full of aloha. Small island, so easy to see the sites. Very "vacationy", and since there are so many beaches, easy to find a beach to yourself. I stay Haena when I go, so awesome there. But, Kauai is also pretty damn expensive, but very worth it.

Maui-SUPER touristy, but super beautiful, plenty hotels and tourist stuff as well as great hiking, surf, waterfalls, scenic drives, nature stuffs. Lots of different options for different kine people. Can find decent deals and vacation packages. Where most tourists go.

Lanai-Dirt, and more dirt, and beaches and a hotel and golf, and more dirt...former pineapple plantation

Big Island- Has 11 of 13 climates found on earth...More for the adventurer...hiking, volcano with lava flowing into the ocean, world's tallest mountain(from sea level) with incredible views, lots of open country, agriculture, ranchland, doesn't feel (and isn't) as populated. Get beaches, but many need 4x4. Great valleys w/ black sand beaches. Hilo is awesome and has waterfalls, shops, surf, and feels local vs. tourist driven. Kona is hot and touristy and looks like the mainland now with target, petco, etc...blahblah, but South Kona is unique and coffee filled. Big Island has cheaper hotels and vacation deals, but BIG island, so worth it to stay in different places so you can check out the different parts of the island.

Moloka'i-never been, but my friends rave about it. They say very inexpensive lodging, no stoplights, not much people, gorgeous scenery and long beaches, very mellow.

O'ahu-Beautiful island, but there's a reason they call it "the gathering place". City, LOTS of people everywhere. Waikiki is crazy tourist heaven with super fun surf.

Okay, there you go...I LOVE Hawai'i:) Good luck!

20. Apr 26, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    littledvl

littledvl [OP] ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list
    Yeah that sure would be a shitty trip, since im paying for this trip im gonna make it a good trip no matter what, haha.

My gf is from Scotland, she grew up there and she loved it, alot of her family is still there so I will be going there at some point in the future.

To Top