1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hawks Pads rubbing noise

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by w/chunter, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    w/chunter

w/chunter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Harrogate, TN
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 TRD 4x4
    Last week I replaced my front pads with the Hawks LTS pads and as soon I put them on, I noticed a loud rubbing noise as we were putting the tires on. We removed the tire and double checked everything. I drove the truck and followed the recommended break-in procedure. The rubbing sound is still there, even when the brakes aren't applied. Has anyone else had similar experience with the Hawks pads. Thanks.

Oh, '04 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4x4

2. Mar 24, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    w/chunter

Member:
    Harrogate, TN
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 TRD 4x4
    No one on here have had similar issue?

3. Mar 30, 2012 at 4:50 AM
    fshams

fshams Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma V6 4x4 TRD/TX PRO - DCSB
    Just replaced my rotors and pads a few nights ago... Installed Power-Slot rotors with Hawk LTS pads... No noise at all.. Check your caliper pistons for wear...

4. Mar 30, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    If the sound is pulsing (sound, nothing, sound, nothing, sound etc) then I'd think it would be a rotor issue. Either not turned, turned incorrectly or if new then they were warped.

Thought occurs, although probably nothing to do with your rubbing sound, if you did put new rotors on you did clean them with brake clean right?

Correct parts numbers?

If the sound is a constant sound you could still have a bit of an issue with the rotor as well, but my thoughts would turn to the caliper first. Maybe a piston sticking and keeping pressure on the pad.

How did the old pads look?

Can you isolate the sound to one side or is it on both? How far have you driven with it making the sound?

5. Mar 31, 2012 at 6:05 AM
    w/chunter

Member:
    Harrogate, TN
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 TRD 4x4
    I replaced the Hawks pads with a set of Best Brakes Select from O'reilly's and the sound is gone. I believe the sound was coming from the harsh material in the Hawks pads. The sounds was a constant, even when the brakes weren't being used. The "bite" from the BBS pads is not as strong as the Hawks, but is still good. Thanks everyone.

Products Discussed in

To Top