1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hayden trans cooler??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 1bad10tacoma, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Apr 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    1bad10tacoma

1bad10tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Brewer Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Sport
    tonneau,tailgate lock, OEM cruise, Int. wiper, , mud flap mod,weatertech's,fj rims
    I am considering putting a Hayden Transmission cooler on my 2010 Taco (base model 4x4)since i bought a new travel trailer. The trailer weighs about 2500lbs dry. Do i have to do the tranny flush to install this or can i just add more fluid? My truck only has 16000 miles on it so it seems to me the tranny flush is a bit of a waste. And yes i did the "search''and didnt find an answer. Thanks

2. Apr 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Subd found a link a while back but can't find it I've been wanting todo this also

3. Apr 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    1bad10tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Brewer Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Sport
    tonneau,tailgate lock, OEM cruise, Int. wiper, , mud flap mod,weatertech's,fj rims
    Wow, pretty slow here today

4. Apr 28, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    BAMFTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
  5. Apr 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    Concur--I added one and didn't bother flushing, just topping up. It's a real easy mod.

I originally had the Hayden cooler after the radiator cooler. I think it made it too cool, especially in the winter. I later changed it to in line after the radiator cooler, and it seems happier. It does reduce the cooling some, but there is such a thing as too much cooling with a transmission.

Edit: I have an Aeroforce gauge that tells me transmission temps.

6. Apr 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    BAMFTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Do you have a good link to do this I've been searching but I can't find a good link with pics

7. Apr 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    1bad10tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Brewer Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Sport
    So you just add a couple of quarts of fluid and all is good?

8. Apr 28, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.

What kind of temps does your transmission indicate?

I have an oem cooler on my prerunner. Picked up a scangage II and have it showing trans fluid temp.

PK

9. Apr 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    iroc409

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    My transmission in summer traffic (mixed highway/street metro driving) is about 140-145. Winter probably runs 125-140, depending. Heavy traffic and high heat will probably see 150-160, and the converter temps can get up into the 170's in stop-and-go. It comes down fast once moving again, though.

Open highway the temp tends to drop, since you're not working the transmission much and air is flowing good.

With a light load in the bed (3-400 lbs?), going up very steep & windy Oregon back roads I've seen it hit 190*, but that's pretty rare for me.

Before I switched the configuration, I was seeing regular temps around 100-105*, which is a bit too cool IMHO (can't even check the fluid level until it hits 115).

Picture of what? The lines, gauge, cooler?

10. Apr 28, 2012 at 4:31 PM
    iroc409

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    Because it doesn't have a dipstick, and it's a crazy transmission, there is a temperature check procedure. The fluid needs to be between 115 and 135 degrees, IIRC. You can create a jumper and do some acrobatics to make the truck go into "temperature check mode" that will help.

Or, if you have an Aeroforce/Scangauge, you can read the trans temp there and check it.

I also added an inline spin-on filter when I was doing my re-route. I originally had a Magnefine, but it leaked. So I went to spin-on (basically an oil filter). Overkill, but it doesn't leak!

11. Apr 29, 2012 at 5:25 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Same here, inline remote filter, Scangage II.

What filter are you using?

PK

12. Apr 29, 2012 at 5:28 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    What was the configuration before that ran so cool?

I found this in another topic and now wonder which setup is proper setting the fluid level. From the Scangage website, I used the one code they published which is the TF2 set of numbers.

PK

13. Apr 29, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

You could attach the inlet line to the trans cooler, fill the cooler up with fluid, then attach the discharge line, and should be good. Best way is to do that, then overfill the trans with the rest of your quart and do the temp check mode method to be sure you are at the right level.

14. Apr 29, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    1bad10tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Brewer Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Sport
    Thanks for the great info, this is why i love this site:D

Products Discussed in

To Top