1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hazy Headlights after Headlight Cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Vincent, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Mar 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    Vincent

Vincent [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Granada Hills
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 2WD
    Exterior: Debadged, color matched White grill surround, Custom Mesh Grill,BHLM,Clear Corners,Tinted Tail lights Black/Clear/Black, Tinted 3rd Brake light 5%tint driver/passenger windows, Limo tint Rear and back windows Interior: Black Leather Door Panels Engine: Deckplate Mod Hayden Transmission Cooler Exhaust: DynoMax Muffler with 2.5 piping after cats Lighting: 6k Headlights,3k Fogs Wheels and Tires: MB Razors wrapped up in 265/70/16 BFGoodrich All Terrain KOs
    hey guys, i ran into a problem...i did some headlight cleaning due to some punk super gluing some stickers on my headlights. i followed the headlight cleaning steps and i wasn't happy w/ the results. The end result didn't turn out clear at all, but was left hazy looking. i was able to remove the hardened glue though. any tips? do they sell just the lens part of the headlight?? i've done the BHLM already and don't have the time to do them again.

you can see that they are not factory clear at all in this pic, and this after the truck was washed.
    34nmqg4_3007c3651dfd366011d17ef3c5f90e83f912234d.jpg

2. Mar 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    How did you clean them (headlight cleaning steps)?

You might be able to get a very fine buffing compound with the finest of grit and buff it out -similar to buffing paint. Using an electric buffer of some sort will make it quicker and easier. Or - even a hand scrub might work.
    I'd test a small area first, just in case.

3. Mar 20, 2009 at 11:02 AM
    Vincent

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Granada Hills
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 2WD
    Exterior: Debadged, color matched White grill surround, Custom Mesh Grill,BHLM,Clear Corners,Tinted Tail lights Black/Clear/Black, Tinted 3rd Brake light 5%tint driver/passenger windows, Limo tint Rear and back windows Interior: Black Leather Door Panels Engine: Deckplate Mod Hayden Transmission Cooler Exhaust: DynoMax Muffler with 2.5 piping after cats Lighting: 6k Headlights,3k Fogs Wheels and Tires: MB Razors wrapped up in 265/70/16 BFGoodrich All Terrain KOs
    also, my HID output is a bit scattered because of this haziness

4. Mar 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    Vincent

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Granada Hills
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 2WD
    the headlight steps i used.. is the wet sanding method.. using lower grit then a finer grit for the finer scratches spraying water as i sand. then use some headlight solution, i used blue magic and some wax. then buffed it out.
    then i sprayed it with a shot of clear coat..and it came out clear, but hazy...i just want the light to get back to it's factory look and clearness

5. Mar 23, 2009 at 7:03 AM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    It may be time to replace the headlight, I see it on ebay, they are not that expensive.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Mar 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    look for headlight buffing on youtube theres a mexican dude doing it the paisa way...toothpast...try it

7. Mar 25, 2009 at 10:05 PM
    Vincent

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Granada Hills
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 2WD
    alright thanks...toothpaste..will it make it OEM clear again?????????....i'll see.

8. Mar 22, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    Sign Guy

Sign Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    DrugRunner V6, 2wd
    Nice Rims, Big Tires, Carryboy Shell, Added Rosta Cruise Control & Ultraguage, 5100 Bilsteins All around
    What happened in your case was a chemical reaction between the clear coat spray and the plastic. Same thing happens with superglue and plastic and other "solvent" type liquids and plastics.

I'm sorry but I think you are kinda hosed and should find some replacement lenses on ebay or the junkyard. :(

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top