1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BAMF HD Shackle hangers

Discussion in 'Bay Area Metal Fabrication' started by JLee, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Aug 13, 2018 at 11:09 PM
    overcast

overcast Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 OR Drifter
    Is this possible without an air hammer or plasma cutter? i'm fresh out of those at the moment

2. Aug 14, 2018 at 3:54 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Angle grinder and a drill

T4Rgurl and overcast[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Aug 15, 2018 at 2:20 PM
    BEAR_KNIFE_FIGHT

BEAR_KNIFE_FIGHT bearly famous

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4X4 DCSB Slowsand, 2017 WRX WRB
    This might be a dumb question, but is the listing for a single hanger or for both? I know it seems stupid but the page doesn't explicitly say "pair" and I just don't want to only order 1.

4. Aug 15, 2018 at 2:24 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    It's a pair

5. Aug 15, 2018 at 2:31 PM
    BEAR_KNIFE_FIGHT

BEAR_KNIFE_FIGHT bearly famous

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4X4 DCSB Slowsand, 2017 WRX WRB
    Noice. I assumed as much but wanted to make sure before I started breaking things.

6. Aug 18, 2018 at 1:52 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Do these improve ride quality at all? I’m deciding between these and the archive garage hammer hangers. There have been a number of people with the HH that report an increase in ride quality because it stiffens up the rear end letting the suspension work as intended. Is that the case with these too? I like that these are less expensive.

Also I vaguely remember some sort of issues with these when first rolled out but can’t remember what they were. Jerry seemed awesome about resolving it. Is everything good to go now?

7. Aug 18, 2018 at 2:18 PM
    kceastsparks

kceastsparks Fkn Kyle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB, SOLD 2010 DCLB, RIP 2017 DCSB
    I switched from Hammer Hangers to BAMF hangers because of issues with my HH allowing my leaf pack to lock out at full droop and less than desirable customer service once the issue occurred.

To be 100% honest, it doesn’t feel like there’s any ride quality difference between the two. There may be a slight ride height advantage to HH but that’s solely because of the different pivot point which led to my issues.

Jerry is on it with his CS and his hangers have worked awesome for me so far. I am very happy with my decision to switch.

The first picture is after my truck was put on a lift and lowered down with Deaver Springs and HH causing the shackles to lock in the lowered position. That picture is with the truck on the ground. Second is the two side by side.
    BDA28D13-E1B7-4884-B36A-650154F7B28F.jpg CD4E532C-37B3-47FF-927C-81DE54AD65C7.jpg

8. Aug 18, 2018 at 2:23 PM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Thanks for the response. When your HH locked out, was the tab in there still? I know that caused a lot of issues and he’s since instructed people to cut it off. I don’t think I’d have the same issue as you because I’m running stock location shock and can’t achieve as much droop, but it’s something to consider in case I ever decide to.

9. Aug 18, 2018 at 2:30 PM
    kceastsparks

kceastsparks Fkn Kyle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    Yeah mine had the tab. Bent the shit out of one of them too.

Like I said my biggest gripe was the customer service. The first set of Jerry’s shackles did have some issues with certain packs, so he redesigned them and shipped them to every single person who got the first set regardless of issue or not. AT NO COST.

When I sent pictures and messaged Archive he suggested running limit straps or using a piece of plastic to limit my leafs from drooping out. Not even an offer to try different shackle lengths or the new style. I don’t want to pay 300+ for hangers to bandaid issues on my own dime.

/rant

Happy hanger shopping. BAMF is awesome :headbang:

10. Aug 18, 2018 at 2:32 PM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    CS plays a huge role! I completely understand. It’s a tough decision for me and I already know a good bit about the HH but wanted to educate myself on these as well. Thanks for your input. Was his earlier issues only with the shackles or was it with leafs as well?

11. Aug 18, 2018 at 2:42 PM
    kceastsparks

kceastsparks Fkn Kyle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    Absolutly! A lot of companies offer very similar products so there has to be something that sets them apart and for me is the response to issues and the willingness to work with clients. Of course man! For me it was only my shackles locking out, but I recently saw someone on that thread that had an issue with their leafs. Their second leaf became stuck underneath the hanger because of the different geometry over stock. I believe he had tabbed hangers as well.

EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Aug 20, 2018 at 8:25 AM
    overcast

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 OR Drifter
    Got the hangers on yesterday but couldn’t quite drop the truck off the stands because I couldn’t get the last hanger bolt to align... sigh. Going back to it tonight with better light. Those rivets were a son of a b*#% and it got late.

Also, I have OME HD springs and it seems the second leaf comes in contact with the new shackle when flipped around. I did some minimal trimming (leaf) but won’t know for sure if that works until it sits. If it does touch, I may have to re think things like my old pac (all pro standard) or seeing if the factory shackles would clear to drive it around.

Anybody on OME HDs with no issue?

MattCowsmasher likes this.
  13. Aug 20, 2018 at 1:12 PM
    overcast

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 OR Drifter
    Phone a friend, took a full day. Tested my luck on a $12 Harbor Freight air hammer/chisel (and very glad I did) and needed a couple discs for the grinder. Glad I never have to do that again!

Spoke to BAMF on the OME compatibility with the new shackles and verdict is still out. Need to get the truck on the ground to really tell if my pedicure on the leaf pack worked. Might pick up a 9/16th bit for the stock shackle as a plan B, need to drive away tonight so we'll see what works and report back. Trimming seems mandatory for this leaf pack and may inspire some updates for customers trying to run those in the future (per BAMF :thumbsup:). I do not see why trimming the leaf pack (just rounding the corners) would effect the leaf as is, but we'll have to wait and see.

SonnyBones likes this.
  14. Aug 21, 2018 at 1:55 PM
    overcast

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 OR Drifter
    I'd plan for two sessions, my arms got tired its a bit of an endurance fest...

I think with the right amount of trimming the leaf, you'd be good. I thought I had trimmed enough so I went for it, and as you can see below it helped but still touches. I'll probably get the truck back on stands to see by how much. You could take note of how much articulation the existing shackle needs (sitting/stuffed) before removing your current set up, and just make sure you grind down that much with the new shackle mounted to the leaf off of the truck.

If the bend in the shackle was a little lower (red), and didn't interfere with the hanger (blue), it might be non issue. You can see the grinder attention was in the right spot just not enough.

IMG_4878_2.jpg

You can see by the second photo, the leaf isn't really taking much of a hit in terms of integrity. Take note of where it's coming in contact with the shackle, right on the bend.
    IMG_9929.jpg

I have plans to head to the sierras this weekend, so I might take it "easy" and get back to it next week. Im no expert, but it seems like this wouldn't be a huge issue to wait until i can lift my arms over my head again :muscleflexing:

15. Aug 21, 2018 at 3:02 PM
    JLee

JLee [OP] The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.

Thanks for the pics this is exactly what I would recommend doing.
    We cant move the bends down as the shackle would contact the hanger at full bump.

DoorDing likes this.
  16. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:40 AM
    overcast

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 OR Drifter
    you might be fine, put the shackle on and see if it touches. i bet not by much if at all

Jim Bob likes this.
  17. Aug 22, 2018 at 6:24 AM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:

Not at all there is no reason to hammer down on it and over heat the material.

DoorDing likes this.
  18. Aug 22, 2018 at 10:27 AM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    overcast, 05tacomabro and Jim Bob like this.
  19. Aug 25, 2018 at 5:45 AM
    inesshell

inesshell blah blah blah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All stock Superwhite 10' AC
    Yep that hanger that skipped leg day but has that killer death gri0

20. Aug 25, 2018 at 5:49 AM
    inesshell

inesshell blah blah blah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All stock Superwhite 10' AC
    Air hammer/chisel with a pointed tip, and c clamp for the rivets on the tire brace

DoorDing likes this.
To Top