1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Head light issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Daddy_Rabbit99, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Dec 17, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    Daddy_Rabbit99

Daddy_Rabbit99 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    The problem is that the headlights work when I turn them on dim but when i turn the brights on the headlights shut off. I looked at the fuses in the fuse panel under the hood. None of them where blown. Any other suggestions? Not sure what is wrong, one dealer says bad bulbs, the other says its the switch. Haven't had time to take them to the dealer yet just talked over the phone. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. 05 DC OR Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Dec 17, 2009 at 11:05 AM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    The entire light shuts off? (I.E. No light coming out at all, no brights/ or low beams when you turn the brights on?)

3. Dec 17, 2009 at 11:05 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    My guess is the bulbs. If the bulbs are old, it wouldn't hurt to replace them anyway and it may save you a trip to the dealer. If the bulbs don't fix the problem, at least you have new bulbs. Halogen bulbs dim over time, it's a good idea to replace them at least every few years. JMO.

4. Dec 17, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    Daddy_Rabbit99

Member:
    Correct the only lights that are still on are the orange parking lights.

5. Dec 17, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    hmmm, well I'd go ahead and put in new bulbs first, since thats gunna be the easiest thing to do. If that doesn't work then it could be a fuse or something in the wiring.

6. Dec 17, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    Daddy_Rabbit99

Member:
    I just put the new Silver Stars in around August. Also do you think they would both go out at the same time? Figured one would go out then the other. But don't know.

7. Dec 17, 2009 at 11:13 AM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    When I've used Silverstars, they only lasted about a year. When they work, they are awesome, but I'll never buy them again. I use Wagner Britelites Xenon bulbs. They have a bright white light and do not cost nearly as much.

Also, you may want to check your fuses in the box next to the battery. After that you may check your relay and wiring. Maybe a mouse chewed on you headlight wiring harness. For some reason those little bastards love to chew on wires. I'm not sure where the headlight relay is, but it may be in the same box as the fuses.

8. Dec 17, 2009 at 11:17 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    +1- Those silverstar lights looked GREAT...for about 8 or 9 months. Then one blew. I paid 1/2 as much for lights that are in the car now- and they are almost 2 years old. (almost time to replace them for general dimming...)

9. Dec 17, 2009 at 11:22 AM
    Daddy_Rabbit99

Member:
    Where do you get the Wagner Britelites Xenon bulbs?

10. Dec 17, 2009 at 11:29 AM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4

Products Discussed in

To Top