1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Head Unit Suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by chestnut35, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Aug 2, 2009 at 10:41 PM
    chestnut35

chestnut35 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    tempe
    Vehicle:
    08 Off Road Double
    bixenon HID, chrome running boards, access tonneau cover, Bilstein 5100, rear TSB leafs, 18x9 XD wheels, 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Front Bull Bar
    Thank you everyone it is much appreciated all of your help. Im gonna go listen to some speakers tomorrow and see what i like and also look at some head units online as well.

2. Aug 3, 2009 at 4:32 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    On the topic of Head units, will the recommened head units work with the steering wheel controls on my 09 sport? Or is it even possible to get a head unit that will allow me to use the steering wheel controls?

3. Aug 3, 2009 at 4:54 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    It seems pretty common nowadays that most HUs will work with the steering wheel controls. A extra module might be needed but for the most part they should be usable.

4. Aug 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    KAPendley

KAPendley Best Hack I Know

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 2WD V6 Extended Cab
    Shaved, Lowered,Airbrushed (some)
    An extra module is almost always required. PAC and Peripherial make them. Some are dependant on what HU you get as well, and need to be programmed. They can be anywhere from 150-250 with installation at a reputable dealer.

5. Aug 4, 2009 at 12:20 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Thanks guys! Sounds great

6. Aug 4, 2009 at 12:34 PM
    TPHILE

TPHILE Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacome XTRA CAB 4X4
    Stereo/NAV
    Did anyone mention KENWOOD? J/K! I just love their stuff. Just put my old DDX8019 into my 1st Gen and bought a DDX814 for a 350Z I have. I swap the nav unit between the two, (bought an extra connection and GPS ant. from PACPARTS for it), to save money. BTW - don't take folks word on it. Go into stores and play with them to decide.

7. Aug 4, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    thankurluckystars

thankurluckystars Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Southern california
    Vehicle:
    09PreRunnerMagGrey
    20% tint, pioneer 4100 7" in dash touch screen, custom JL stealth box with one 10" sub. OBX shift knob Blacked out headlights, debadged tailgate. Fog lights, removed mud flaps color match grille Bilstein 5100 @1.75 5100 rears
    im happy with my pioneer avhp4100 7in touch screen, no navi though but no goofy knobs or buttons so it makes it look real clean. plus the features are pretty sick

8. Sep 29, 2009 at 8:22 AM
    rustyg61

rustyg61 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab, Speedway Blue
    Chrome front grille, cruise control, intermittent wipers, NASTA Nerf Bars. Fog Lights JVC Stereo Pioneer speakers
    I just put a JVC KW-XG700 HU & Pioneer TS-A6993R 6X9's in the front & TS-A643P 6 1/2's in the rear. The system sounds great! I actually had to turn the bass down on the HU, so it has plenty of kick even without a sub!

9. Sep 29, 2009 at 4:01 PM
    YotaCraZ

YotaCraZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Super White TRD Sport
    TRD Catback, AFE Pro Dry S Drop in, RS3200 Plus, Westin Step/Bull Bars, Access LE Tonneau, Redline Hood Struts, tint, AMI stubby antenna, AVS Vent Shades, Sylvannia Silverstar headlight/foglight bulbs, TRD Seat Covers, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Highland mats
    Just had a Kenwood DNX-9140 installed. Still playing with all the settings but in a nutshell, the available options are mind-boggling. Waaay too much to list but...

XM, Sirius, DVD, IPod, Bluetooth, NAV, 2 AUX AV imputs, Backup camera, and more...

- I've burned a DVD with near 400 mp3's using Roxio 9 with custom screens. Plays perfectly. Songs can be viewed by Artist, Album, Name, All tracks, etc.
    - Ipod support via optional cable (which I have and it works great), however for short trips I have it connected it via Bluetooth.
    - I've connected a 500GB WD Passport HD to the USB cable and stuck it in the glove box. It takes about two minutes or so to load the drive but it's alot of info. Great for very long trips.
    - You can burn a CD with music and pictures in the same folder and watch a slide show of your images while the music plays.
    - Custom start up screen (mine is the TRD symbol on a gray carbon-fiber b/g)
    - Nav by Garmin (thousands of custom points of interest available for download /install; to include red light cameras, speed cameras from POI Factory.com) A few complaints out there about street labeling while zoomed out but a Fall update is forthcoming from what I understand. Not a show stopper for me.
    - 5.1 stereo support, built in EQ, 5 volt pre-outs
    - Most all functions can be voice-activated
    - Imports telephone book, - bluetooth support/quality is great, minor adjustment required for microphone sensitivity but once that was done, everything was fine.

After running the unit for a week, I do not regret spending as much as I did. It is everything I expected and more. The cost may put it out of reach for some but I've always been a believer in "you get what you pay for". If you can wait for a few more months to get what you really want, you'll save money in the long run!!

10. Dec 10, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    Twirlin

Twirlin Nature just gets the blow-by

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport Mag Grey
    I'm getting one after xmas.
    Ebay has them for $1,130 right now!
    I've heard only good things.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top