1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headed out Californee way.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by BrokenCoastie, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Dec 4, 2018 at 7:53 AM
    BrokenCoastie

BrokenCoastie [OP] Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    East Bay area
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 TRD OFF ROAD
    I'm in New Jeresy and just got PCS orders to San Fransicisco. Driving so we can see the country. But I've no idea where to start. Anyone got some suggestions? Not just tourist stuff, I mean I still want to know about that, but awsome local food, bars brewerys hotels, anything you guys think is worth while I wanna hear about. Thanks you guys!

2. Dec 4, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    Hmm... where to start...

How about New Jersey?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Sounds like it'll be a great trip. How long do you have to make it? a week? 2? more?

3. Dec 4, 2018 at 8:13 AM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    I'm assuming you're asking about things to see during your trip? Since you're driving across the country, you first have to settle on how long you intend to make the trip. A road trip is cool, but a road trip with all your belongings can become a pain (literally) if you're not comfortable. Hauling all your stuff along the way should also be a consideration as a truck packed with "stuff" is a prime target for theft in hotel parking lots and truck stops in some areas of the country so where you choose to stop should also come into play.

What kind of things haven't you seen that you would like to see? Of the things you want to see, how long do you realistically think you'll be able to dedicate to each site? Places like the Grand Canyon warrant at least a full day if not multiple days, but something like the "world's largest ball of yarn" can be knocked out in 5 minutes.

My brother did this same trip when he drove from Southern California to Massachusetts for a station change. He had never seen the middle of our country before then so he played it loose and gave himself plenty of time to stop and look around if he saw something worth stopping for. Took him about two weeks, but he did zig-zag a bit: CA-NV-AZ-CO-(skipped farm country)-IL-IN-OH-PA-MA.

YF_Ryan likes this.
  4. Dec 4, 2018 at 8:13 AM
    BrokenCoastie

BrokenCoastie [OP] Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    East Bay area
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 TRD OFF ROAD
    Dont put it like that, Nothing good ever starts in NJ! 13 to 28 days depending on how much leave I decide to burn. So pretty flexible. And we'd only have what we need for the trip, a suit case or two. Geting rid of a lot, CGs gonna move everything else. And any homegoods we need immediately like a bed, we going to buy new once we arrive.

5. Dec 4, 2018 at 8:24 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives

You can try out places that have made the show.

Trip Advisor is a decent app for finds too. I've gone to some off-the-beaten-path places in the US and Europe that we found on Trip Advisor (while in town, not pre planned) and I've never been disappointed in one if it had over 100 reviews and 4.5+ rating.

Traveling at this time of year I'd take the lower middle or southern routes

To Top