1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Header replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by thepoolboy, May 25, 2011.

1. May 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM
    thepoolboy

thepoolboy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dearl
    Does anyone have steps to installing headers on a 05 to 09 Tacoma double cab 2 wheel drive 4.0 ? Is this difficult will the sensors be a problem ?

2. May 25, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    kcbmx

kcbmx doing my thing.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    Bakersfield CaLiFoRnIa
    Vehicle:
    2tr-fe 4wd
    spit cup, weathertech floor mats, riffle rack, and bilsteins.
    Wrong section buddy,4 cyls here

3. May 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    Moved to 2nd Gen

4. May 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Toytec ULK, OME Dakar leafs, LED conversion, RBP sidesteps, Nitto Trail Grapplers, AR ATX Artillery 16" wheels, Doug Thorley LTH/Pipe Bomb, TRD Exhaust W/Classic Chambered Powerstick, Lightend Flywheel

He's in the right spot...right?

EDIT:
    I guess I read that at the wrong time, it just switched...dang you guys are fast!

1. Remove your front tires

2. Remove the mud gaurds in the wheel well

3. Disconnect the Two oxygen sensors

4. Remove the four bolts connecting your exhaust manifold to the Y-pipe (BE CAREFUL USING AN IMPACT, YOU WILL FUCK SHIT UP QUICK!) These specific pieces have gone through many cycles of heat and rusting, they will not come off with out some patients and a fight.....PB Blaster...

5. Remove the six nuts holding the manifolds on and pull through the bottom (you might need to remove the Y-pipe completely)

The sensors are going to be a problem, you will either need to get the O2 simulator from Under Dog Racing or purchase extended bung fittings to get your sensors out of direct gas stream.

I would get the O2 Simulator, you wont find the fittings of 304 Stainless for much less than just buying the electronics from URD

5. May 25, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    2_wheels

2_wheels Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 dbl cab
    I just replaced mine 2 weekends ago. Both cat's were bad at 85 thousand miles. I bought aftermarket replacement manifold/cats for $750 pair. I think they came from Dorman Products??? out of Portland TN but I bought them through a salvage yard online that didn't have any used ones. They were from surprise Arizona and called Reliable auto salvage I think.

here's a couple of pointers;
    1- start at the mid pipe and work forward. seperate the mid pipe from tail pipe.. this is the spring loaded joint. remove rubber hangers on the y-pipe. Spray some penetrating lube on the y-pipe & manifold bolts to get them to come loose easily.
    2-remove the front wheel and the rubber splash gaurd inside the fender well to get to the manifold bolts. remove manifold bolts last! make sure you have a 22mm open end for the upper sensors on the manifold. I didn't take sensors out of the y-pipe and just left the whole thing balancing on the subframe of the truck.
    It's really not that tough of a job, couple hours.
    Have fun:rolleyes:

6. May 29, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    docbrown

docbrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Eclipse 6620 AVN GPS/DVD, K&N Drop-in Air Filter, Hose clamp mod, Redline Quick Lift Elites, Bilstein 5100's at .85, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, Weather Techs front and back, Bug Guard, and Factory Bull Bar, Wet Okole's up front, Bed Mat, LED interior lights, Fumoto Oil Valve
    Start spraying penetrating oil a couple of days out. With the penetrating oil going through a couple of heat/cool cycles it will make taking off the nuts/bolts easier. When you do this, make sure that you do this when the engine is cold. Not only will you not burn yourself, you will be less likely to strip bolts.

I highly recommend the URD O2 sim. Works like a champ and Gadget stands behind his stuff. Also, get new crush gaskets (URD) and manifold gaskets (you can probably reuse the stock ones, but the last thing you want to do is get it apart only to find that one of your gaskets is bad. My local parts store did not stock these.

I did mine in about 4 hours by myself, but I am a very meticulous person. With an extra set of hands, you could probably do this in 2 hours or maybe even a bit less.

To Top