1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headers and MAF Calibrator installed

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Untamed_SS, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Jul 3, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS [OP] Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    Well, I must say first of all, that MAF Calibrator was a B :mad:

Anyways, late last night, I installed the Doug Thorley LT Headers. Fantastic product. Everything was very straigh forward. You really don't even need the instructions.

Right after that I went into installing the O2 Sim and MAF Calibrator. It was around 3:45 this morning. I read the instructions and told myself I'd do it in the morning.

I woke up all excited. Got busy on it. Took me 1 hour and 13 minutes the first go around. :p It was throwing a code. :( Rough Idle. Died on me twice on the highway! :eek: (I was on my way to my job interview, so I guess I rushed the install.)

Anyways, when I got home, I looked over my stuff. Surely enough, I forgot to solder two wires. :frusty: Did that just now, cranked it up and perfect idle and no CEL! :yay::bananadance:

Now I'm on my way to the exhaust shop to get the y pipe and 50 series done. :rockband:

Thanks for reading. Video may come soon. :D

Side Notes: Anyone who has basic electrical knoledge and can soder can do the MAF calibrator no problem. To tell you the truth, this is the first thing I've really sodered. :p Probably wasn't the best idea, but it worked, so I'm happy.

2. Jul 3, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    good stuff man

3. Jul 3, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    Oh yeah by the way, Thanks a bunch Gadget. You rock. You're the man. Cool beans.

4. Jul 3, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Congrats!! That sounds like quite the setup!!

5. Jul 3, 2009 at 11:47 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Way to go can't wait to hear your thoughts on it in the next few days.

6. Jul 3, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Well, I stopped by the shop and talked to my exhaust guy. He is quite busy today so we scheduled for Monday. And the price dropped. :) He says $160-$170.

I can already tell the truck is pulling harder. And I guess throttle responce is better. Little bit faster. Not quite like my Eclipse yet though.

7. Jul 3, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    what all is involved in installing the headers? ive heard they are hard as hell to remove them

8. Jul 3, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I had no prob with the headers. Here is what I did: (after letting it cool down.)

Unbolted front and back of y pipe. Just slide it back out of the way.

Little black brackets are attached the the end of the manifold. 1 bolt on each. Then two bolts at the top of the bracket. Remove the bracket.

6 bolts on each manifold. Relatively easy to remove from top. Manifolds come out the bottom of the truck.

O2 sensors from manifold to headers.

Headers go on from bottom. Pretty easy actually. 6 bolts on each to replace them. Reuses that gasket by the way.

Put bracket back on and bolt it to the end of the headers (Just like manifold)

Bolt up front and back of y pipe. (I bought the crush gaskets from URD)

Plug in all O2 sensors. Make sure your bolts are tight.

All done.

Thats pretty much it man. Check for leaks.

9. Jul 3, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    If you need a better description with pics, I could probably throw that together.

10. Jul 3, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    could you pm it to me? cause im looking to buy them here between now and the end of the year

11. Jul 3, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:

Yeah dude. I'll take some pics tomorrow and send you a more detailed install guide. :thumbsup:

12. Jul 3, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    thanks man. thatll really help me alot

13. Jul 3, 2009 at 9:38 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    It's all gravy. Anything for a fellow TW member! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top