1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headers: DTLT vs DTST if planning on TRD S/C

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by BradleyJ33, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Mar 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    BradleyJ33

BradleyJ33 [OP] Geaux Tigers

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Brandon, MS
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB S/C'd
    TRD Supercharger with URD 2.825" Pulley, Toytec Ultimate Lift, LR UCAs, BFG All Terrain 275/70R17s on Procomp 7089 17" wheels, BAMF rock sliders, Viper 5902 alarm/remote start with smartstart, Pioneer Avic-Z110BT dvd/navi head unit, 2 Pioneer 7" monitors in headrests, 2 Rockford Fosgate Shallow-mount 10" subs pushed by RF Punch 500.2 amp, RF 5.25 components (front doors) and 5.25 full range (back doors) pushed by RF Power 400.4 amp, sound deadened, Whistler pro remote radar detector, scangauge II, debadged, Sockmonkey decals, blacked headlights with FX-R projectors, DDM Tuning HID fogs, Grillcraft upper and lower MX grill with Hella 500ffs converted to HIDs behind, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump upgrade, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, Bestop Supertop, Wet Okole seat covers, Weathertech floor liners, Pop & Lock tailgate handle, Lighted 4x4 switch mod, 2 110v AC outlets in cab mod, Always at 400W mod, Maplights on with dome light mod, homelink in headliner mod, foglight
    Ok, so I'm planning on getting a TRD S/C in the very near future. I'm considering adding headers to it also, but I'm torn on which set to get. Since I'm getting the boost, should I opt for the shorties to gain some power in the lower RPMs since the boost will kick in at the higher RPMs? The main reason I'm contemplating the LTs is b/c they're bolt-on and I could install them myself. Anybody got any advice on this? Thanks in advance!

2. Mar 21, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    BradleyJ33

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Brandon, MS
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger with URD 2.825" Pulley, Toytec Ultimate Lift, LR UCAs, BFG All Terrain 275/70R17s on Procomp 7089 17" wheels, BAMF rock sliders, Viper 5902 alarm/remote start with smartstart, Pioneer Avic-Z110BT dvd/navi head unit, 2 Pioneer 7" monitors in headrests, 2 Rockford Fosgate Shallow-mount 10" subs pushed by RF Punch 500.2 amp, RF 5.25 components (front doors) and 5.25 full range (back doors) pushed by RF Power 400.4 amp, sound deadened, Whistler pro remote radar detector, scangauge II, debadged, Sockmonkey decals, blacked headlights with FX-R projectors, DDM Tuning HID fogs, Grillcraft upper and lower MX grill with Hella 500ffs converted to HIDs behind, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump upgrade, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, Bestop Supertop, Wet Okole seat covers, Weathertech floor liners, Pop & Lock tailgate handle, Lighted 4x4 switch mod, 2 110v AC outlets in cab mod, Always at 400W mod, Maplights on with dome light mod, homelink in headliner mod, foglight
    Ah ok, so the blower will be more lower RPMs? I had that backwards in my head I guess...

3. Mar 21, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    BradleyJ33

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Brandon, MS
    Vehicle:
    Ok perfect that helps, thanks. The main thing I need the extra power for is towing a 6x12 cargo trailer, boat, etc. But it's always fun to just open it up too!

4. Mar 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    whatever helps you sleep at night ;)

5. Mar 21, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    BradleyJ33

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Brandon, MS
    Vehicle:
    Haha yeah that's what I'm telling the wife anyway!

Would it be worthwhile to get something like a MAF CAL or something to tune the engine for the headers, CAI, exhaust, and fuel pump upgrade I'm adding, or should the tuning at the stealership after the S/C install be sufficient?

6. Mar 21, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    BradleyJ33

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Brandon, MS
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I'll definitely drop him an email and see what he thinks. Preciate the help! Rep sent!

7. Mar 21, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    hello, I know its two different things but when I had my mustang, I was piece by piece building the 4.6 for a charger. and yes its a hard choice, and i learned a lot, and I talked to a lot of people about the right direction. now the the chargers, no matter the type as I was told, you have the power, you wont miss a few ponies or cant tell the few seconds for the boost to catch up. Its not a turbo, you step on it and wait for the countdown....
    and with both engines being overhead cams they do enjoy a rev or two, after you do a charger you want to watch the revs. too much will start wear.
    they advised me to get shorty headers, its a very solid match for the engine.
    and you don't have to worry about the back pressure. they told me some people had issues with back pressure and that messing with the computer controls on the supercharger. I dont know.. these guys were serous and they would lose me no matter how hard I tried, and this is with mustangs a issue about longtubes and the stress of chargers, and the heat and welds cracking, but ask people and take notes and write out your questions first.
    Now I put bbk shortys on and let me tell you that was the best money I ever spent on the car. you get a serious right off the line kick. I had planned on new tires at the end of summer, and after the headers it was sooo easy to smoke em 1 and 2 and 3rd they lasted till july and I had to grow up.
    and this, don't buy cheap ones, and they make good mounting bolt kits with hex nuts, do that
    and get the best exhust gasket you can find, don't reuse.
    and if you are not 110% confident you can do this and have some very good friends and family that will help you and a nice shop with tools....
    if you dont do headers right it will become a never ending nightmare. and I am ashamed to admit this but I knew someone who thought he could fix a shitty header install that cracked a weld with jb weld.... he got mad when I asked him if he rode the short bus to school!:eek:
    this is a BIG investment and you should get the best results for you money.
    and also there is no money back or exchange if you try it your self and mess something up.

8. Mar 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    One thing to watch for is modding the engine to much. The TRD tune is very mild to say the least. Honestly, if you want more power and want to make the supercharger come alive. Go with the URD 2.8" under drive pulley. It will give you more grunt all over and is a better bang for the buck than the headers.

The other thing you have to worry about is being a 2010 there is currently no real tuner for our engine. I am stuck with a cat back exhaust, under drive pulley, and CAI for the moment until a reliable tuner can be had. Then I will get into headers (shorty, better grunt for towing and offroading), and a few other goodies.

9. Mar 22, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    If you don't have to worry about emissions, then get the long tubes. If you do, get the short tubes. They obviously require a little more work, but help prevent hassle in the future. As long as a good shop does the catalytic swap.

10. Mar 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    novanut21

novanut21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    I went with the JBA shorties not due to emissions but due me upgrading to a URD Y-pipe which deleted my rear cats. I didnt want to go longtubes because it would delete all my cats and the exhaust is loud and raspy with LT's URD Y-pipe. And because your deleting the front set of converters you will need a set of O2 sims from URD to keep the CEL off.(But if you go with short tubes you dont need the O2 sims or a resonator) But if your keeping the stock y-pipe i'd go LT's with O2 sims. Or if your decide to go with a URD Y-pipe and LT's id recommend getting a resonator to quite down the exhaust and help elminate the rasp along with the O2 sims.

Products Discussed in

To Top