1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headers

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rkpalm, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Apr 5, 2010 at 6:06 PM
    rkpalm

rkpalm [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    euless
    Vehicle:
    05 trd long bed
    How many people here run headers? What is the good and bad about them? Was thinking of redoing the exhaust and wasn't sure about the headers. Any help is great. Thanks

2. Apr 5, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    i'm pretty sure everybody has headers........

j/k :D

3. Apr 5, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    I don't personally have headers. But I would have to think that adding them would definetly help your motor breathe and sound good too. Just make sure when and if you do they get installed right. I work at a car dealership in the used car dept and we got this taco with aftermarket headers and they had the cats installed so far downstream that they would never get hot enough to light and the truck failed emissions. We had to wholesale it ( I was sad, the truck was pretty nice!). That's the only advice I have on headers. If you do it, post some pics please. :cool:

4. Apr 5, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Basically two types available for the V6 second gens:

Long Tube - Delete the forward cats, bolt on, require o2 sim or your truck will throw a CEL during regular driving and inspection. Offer more high end HP but you lose some low end torque due to decreased backpressure in the exhaust system.

Short Tube - Require welding, cats stay on, so is emissions legal. Preserves low end torque but does not give nearly the HP boost that long tubes do, so pick your sacrifice.

Personally, to my mind, torque is way more important for a truck, so I'm going with the shorties. Most people opt for the long tubes.

Either way may add a little rasp to the exhaust (so I've heard), with the long tubes being worse about it.

Products Discussed in

To Top