1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight Condensation

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by TAC1, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Apr 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    TAC1

TAC1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
    Miami, Florida
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4.0 Auto PreRunn
    FRONT: OEM PreRunner coils, 5100's @ .85, MaxTrac Spindles, 1/4" Taco lean spacer. ground to fender base: LF & RF: 40"'s hub to fender base::::: LF & RF: 25"'s REAR: 2012 OEM 3/1 leafs, Wheelers 3 leaf AAL, 2" Tapered steel block. Bilstein F4-BE5-B110-T5 ground to fender base: LR & RR: 41"'s hub to fender base::::: LR & RR: 26"'s All mud flaps trimmed 4"'s shorter.
    Hello Forum,
    I'm on my 2nd set of headlight assemblies in 8 months. The originals on my '08 were faded but no bad seals. I purchased a pair on ebay (regular headlamp assemblies, nothing fancy) & they both had condensation less than 3 months later. When I received my replacement lights, I siliconed them completely where the 2 pieces meet, but I did not take apart the assembly. I just wanted to take an extra precaution. Now the right front assembly, of the pair that were warranteed has condensation also. Now I have no warranty. More than 90 days.

At this point I know that I have to buy OEM. I can get them for $117 each but I don't want to spend that now. Is it a good idea to drill a small hole in the lowest section of the actual assembly to eliminate water build-up? If so, what size hole?
    1/4"?
    1/8"

Any other ideas?
    :(

Thanks, Forum.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. Apr 29, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    GuyWithCamera

GuyWithCamera Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Tracy,CA
    Vehicle:
    Nissan 370Z
    Craigslist or the forsale section here... People are always selling their OEM headlights.

I bought a mint 09+ set off craigslist for $120

3. Apr 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Brock
    Paso Robles
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish

1/32 if u wanna go that route

Ive never had issues resealing with GE silicone II............I use quite a bit of it and use a plastic grocery bag as a cheater tool....... I take a small piece of the plastic bag and rip it, then wrap that around 2 finger on mr hand.

Then, I run a bead of silicone around the top of the headlight seam and push the silicone LITERALLY push the silicone into the gap with my plastic wrapped finger/fingers. (you will see the silicone squeeze into the gaps by looking at the clear part of the light housing as u do this).

I then do the bottom seam.........then go around 1 or 2 more times b4 it gets tacky..... Then I let it set for an hour.......Then I goop that silicone around the seam again but I dont push it into the seams, I just make a LARGE flat bead around the seam for further protection.

I forgot to mention, take out ALL bulbs before u do this...........Then try to let the light housings sit overnight without the bulbs in, that way the silicone can offgas without causing a haze inside of the lights.

Wish some of u guys were closer, Id take care of ur lights for ya.

also as Alan suggested above, keep an eye on the buy/sell/trade section here......I have purchased 2 sets of OEM smoked (2009+ trd sport model) lights for not much over $100. 1 set had 30 miles on them only!

I have also bought the regular oem (non smoked) here for $100 shipped in good condition. Ive used them as retrofit housings, and also my current stock housings....I think Ive sold 3 or 4 sets here also.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  4. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Miami, Florida
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4.0 Auto PreRunn
    FRONT: OEM PreRunner coils, 5100's @ .85, MaxTrac Spindles, 1/4" Taco lean spacer. ground to fender base: LF & RF: 40"'s hub to fender base::::: LF & RF: 25"'s REAR: 2012 OEM 3/1 leafs, Wheelers 3 leaf AAL, 2" Tapered steel block. Bilstein F4-BE5-B110-T5 ground to fender base: LR & RR: 41"'s hub to fender base::::: LR & RR: 26"'s All mud flaps trimmed 4"'s shorter.
    OUCH!

The OEM ones will cost me more than I was told. I guess I did not hear correctly. They will cost me $186 EACH! Plus, I have read that the some of the OEM ones have leaked also.

I'm thinking of buying a set of aftermarket ones & sealing them BEFORE I install them like Justus suggested. Though, I did the same with these & here I am. I used clear silicone but I did not do no where near as good as a job as Justus did! I will use something better to seal. Like the GE silicone that Justus mentioned. Or, is there any other top notch sealer that I can use? I don't want to take the new assembly apart. I just want to seal the entire outer section.

Justus, do you have any pics available of how they look after what you have done?

OR

I can ship them to you, Justus, & you can charge me to do what you did. Sounds like you have experience in this field.:D

I'd rather buy a new set & seal those instead of sealing what I currently have because the drivers side light has a damaged bracket. Plus, I can take my time sealing these, or having them sealed.

Thanks Guys!

5. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Miami, Florida
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4.0 Auto PreRunn
    BTW, which GE silicone II did you use? I "Google Imaged" it and there are many types: kitchen, bath, etc

6. Apr 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Brock
    Paso Robles
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    U have a pm.......GE silicone II window/door clear

7. May 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Brock
    Paso Robles
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    Something tells me ur headed in the right direction

8. May 8, 2013 at 5:15 AM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Miami, Florida
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4.0 Auto PreRunn
    Thanks to YOU Justus!

9. May 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Brock
    Paso Robles
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    hope ur happy with the lights man.........Im taking a vacation from this place tho.

You have my number dude, Im happy I was able to extend hand and do a good deed.......somehow I got some BS thrown my way from another member and Im taking a vacation.

Pretty sad huh?

no good deed goes unpunished.

ur always welcome to hit me up on the phone if u need anymore help.

~brock

To Top