1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight issues/questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dbs1, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Aug 2, 2015 at 1:35 PM
    dbs1

dbs1 [OP] 2015 Dbl cab TRD Pro 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Dbl Cab TRD Pro 4x4
    SC w/urd pulley, afe cai, URD LT's, TRD cat back. 375hp. Custom logos, tonneau cover, westin bar with piaa lights, aero force gauges, custom front air dam, Westin step bars.
    I have a 2010 dbl cab that the drivers side headlight has had condensation and moisture intrusion issues for awhile now. With the heavy rains the last few months and a break from work I ordered a new headlight from rock auto. Installed it last thurs and noticed that the interior pieces are chrome and the other headlight had black plastic inside. Not a black lens, just plastic inside. Then this morning after a heavy rain I see the new headlight has got moisture in it now as well.

So...since this has to be changed out, where does one find a headlight matching the other side with black interior plastic vs the chrome?

2. Aug 2, 2015 at 1:41 PM
    adriancast

adriancast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    -2.5 Donahoe Coilovers -All Pro Standard Leaf Pack -All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit -Front/RearWheeler Super Bumps -Extended rear Bilstein 5100s -Flowmaster 40 Series -All Pro IFS Skid -All Pro Transmission Skid -Bruteforce Hybrid Bumper -30" Double Row LED bar -400 Watt Anytime -TRD Seat Covers -ABS Kill Switch -Locking Center Console Mod -Rear Differential Breather -BHLM -Anytime Fog Light Mod -Toyota Hilux Snorkel
    you can take them apart, paint the inside and add extra silicone for moisture protection. Should a thread on here and titled "black headlight mod" shows how to do it.

3. Aug 2, 2015 at 2:11 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    -2.5 Donahoe Coilovers -All Pro Standard Leaf Pack -All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit -Front/RearWheeler Super Bumps -Extended rear Bilstein 5100s -Flowmaster 40 Series -All Pro IFS Skid -All Pro Transmission Skid -Bruteforce Hybrid Bumper -30" Double Row LED bar -400 Watt Anytime -TRD Seat Covers -ABS Kill Switch -Locking Center Console Mod -Rear Differential Breather -BHLM -Anytime Fog Light Mod -Toyota Hilux Snorkel
    I tried asking and they said only certain years. Think it was '09-'11

4. Aug 2, 2015 at 2:17 PM
    muisejt

muisejt Well-Known Member

Member:
    YMM
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport DC LB
    Katzkin, Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S), 4Runner Mirrors, Complete Stereo Upgrade with Backup Camera, Pop&Lock PL5400, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau, TRD OR Tow Hook, rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch, Grillcraft, 10" Rigid light bar behind grill, relocated horns, Redline Tuning hood struts, 5100's with 883 and Wheeler 5 leaf, OME carrier barring drop kit, ECGS Bushing, MarionB2B front hubs
    pour some water around the edges and see if you can find where the water is getting in then put the headlight in the oven at 200 on a piece of cardboard for like 5 minutes to soften up the sealant and squeeze in that area to try to seal the leak

5. Aug 2, 2015 at 2:50 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    thats what i thought. I called to setup an appt last week for recalls and asked about that and the guy said it wasn't my year. i totally forgot my appt last week and didn't end up taking my truck. Im about to call again and setup another appt.

6. Aug 2, 2015 at 3:10 PM
    OKJC

OKJC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    NWArkansas
    Vehicle:
    '10 SC 4x4 TRD Sport
    2005-2011 according to the bulletin. Check your VIN. Even though my truck clearly applied, it took some convincing.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/attachments/t-wb-pol14-03-d-pdf.280429/

This might not help OP any though, sounds like he might have two different aftermarket units. Might be worth seeing if an uninformed/doesn't care owner is selling a set with melted DTRLs for cheap. Throw them on then get them swapped for brand new ones for free. Otherwise, I would do the black headlight mod as suggested and then reseat them. I used RTV silicone to seal mine and never had any moisture issues. Check the rubber boots too...make sure they're on well.

7. Aug 2, 2015 at 8:21 PM
    dbs1

dbs1 [OP] 2015 Dbl cab TRD Pro 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Dbl Cab TRD Pro 4x4
    SC w/urd pulley, afe cai, URD LT's, TRD cat back. 375hp. Custom logos, tonneau cover, westin bar with piaa lights, aero force gauges, custom front air dam, Westin step bars.
    After checking it appears the ones that came with the truck when I bought it used were aftermarket versions, hence why they had black plastic inside vs the chrome. I've bought some off eBay that are both black inside and will silicone them prior to installing on the truck and return this new one that leaks back to rock auto. Thx for the replies!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Kyitty likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top