1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RollTideRN, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Apr 17, 2012 at 10:07 PM
    RollTideRN

RollTideRN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barrett
    Robertsdale,AL Sacramento,CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    custom billet grill, behind grill light bar, 4 hella 500's, custom ham radio install.
    Hello TW,

New member with headlight issues. I have an 08 dc trd and in the past year I have gone through 4 sets of headlights. Tonight I noticed the headlight I replaced approx 3 months ago was out, but only the low beam. I have also had to replace my fog lights this year as well. At one point i could tap my right fog light and it would sometimes come on. I am at a loss. Any help is appreciated.

Barrett
    RolltideRN

2. Apr 17, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Are you touching the bulbs with your fingers?

Im sure wolfpack will jump in with something for you.

3. Apr 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    RollTideRN

RollTideRN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barrett
    Robertsdale,AL Sacramento,CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    custom billet grill, behind grill light bar, 4 hella 500's, custom ham radio install.
    no i am not. i have made extra sure not to touch them.

4. May 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I'm having an issue with my driver side low beam. I have a 2010 and I replaced the bulb Dec 18th 2011, and now it's blown again. Any one else have this problem, or know what the deal is?

5. May 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    my 08 did that the 2nd year of ownership...then i switched to hids now projectors and havent noticed it happen again :notsure: maybe moisture is getting to the bulb...

6. May 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Maybe when I change out the bulbs AGAIN, I'l put a nitrogen purge on the housing and pressure test it to see if there is a sealant issue. I didn't notice any lens fogging, so I don't know if it is a moisture issue. Gonna grab a voltmeter and do some testing as well.

7. May 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    mikewho

mikewho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885x's, Toytec 1.5 AAL's, shorty antenna x, Trd sport hood, bed extender, ProComp7098's, BFG 275's, K&N filter, black anzo led tails, OEM roof rack, sock monkey bed decal, extra d rings, weathertechs
    What kind of bulbs are you replacing with?

Sometimes a higher wattage bulb can melt your wiring harness and others like the sylvania ultras only last about a year

8. May 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4

First set was stock, lasted from March 2010 to Dec 18th 2011. The replacement set is the sylvania's in the red box. Didn't want silver stars because of that issue, and these were 2 levels below silver stars.

9. May 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Just checked resistance. Again it is the driver side low beam that is burning out. Checked the pigtail on the driver side and resitance from ground to low beam is 0.7 ohms, hi beam is 0.5 ohms. When I check all three on the pig tail to the body ground, they all show a resistance of 670 ohms. So I went to the passenger side to check that pigtail, resistance from ground to low beam is 150 ohms. This is considerably higher than the rest, yet the low beam on that side still works. Resistance from ground to hi beam was the same as the driver side at 0.5 ohms. Did the same test from pig tail to body ground, the hi beam and ground to the body ground was 670 ohms, but the low beam was 850 ohms. I am not an electrical trouble shooting guy at all, but I do know that this isn't right. Any advice or just a finger in the right direction would be helpful. Thanks.

10. Feb 3, 2017 at 4:19 AM
    Devilscar16

Devilscar16 Off the beaten path

Member:
    First Name:
    Thoreau
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    3" Pro-comp Suspension Lift, 275/65R18 Mastercraft Courser tires on stock rims, aftermarket black-casing tail lights, removed emblems, blacked out front emblem, UNSC emblem added to tailgate, UNSC logo added to side panel
    Having bulb issues myself. I'm hoping maybe to revive this thread. I recently got into a minor accident with another car. They replaced everything but the drivers side headlight housing which I had to point out was cracked and had condensation in it. The bulb was obviously burnt out. They replaced the housing under insurance still and then replaced the bulb with the higher output 9003. The ones that are brighter. When I got in the truck the bulb was out. I replaced it with the spare (stock) that I had in the truck and turned on the headlights. The bulb swirled and made some funky dancing light show and then went out. The low beam is the only one having issues. The high beams work fine. All the fuses check out ok, I have not put a multi-meter on the plug yet to check voltage. Are there any fuses I'm missing? Got a '13 tacoma. Also there are no issues what so ever to the passenger side headlight(s).

Products Discussed in

To Top