1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cclax2145, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Jan 14, 2009 at 11:11 PM
    cclax2145

cclax2145 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2002 prerunner SR5 Blacked out
    Deckplate mod, K&N drop in, blacked out tails and emblems, 3 inch toytec spacer/AAL lift, Alpine head unit, Boston acustics speakers, and 10 inch image dynamics sub (in custom seat/box), Alpine EQ, Flowmaster 40 series, and viper alarm system, 33inch bfg MTs, 15inch black steelys
    So my my left headlight started to act up about a month ago. When i would start my car it wouldnt come on but after a couple firm taps onto the headlight it would come on. But it would turn off after a while. So i figured i would go get some HIDs, and maybe that would fix the problem. But it didn't, now both of my head lights have this problem were they will turn on pretty much one by one. I will twist the knob to turn on the headlights and only one headlight will come on at a time until i flick the knob back and forth enough until they both come on at the same time. So thats my problem and i would really appreciate some feedback if any of yall had a simmilar problem or know anything about it. Thanks

2. Jan 14, 2009 at 11:14 PM
    jolayiv

jolayiv Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    New Bern NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD 4x4 Off-Road
    Revenge-Fab Sliders, AVS Vent Guards, Rear TSB, Hose clamp MOD, Locker MOD, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow, Midland Radio, Wilson 1000 antenna, Rear Diff breather MOD, Weathertech liners, Maglite mount, Bed Divider, LEER 100XR, Pop&Lock
    do you happen to have any wiring diagrams/schematics? That would help me out.

3. Jan 14, 2009 at 11:20 PM
    cclax2145

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Deckplate mod, K&N drop in, blacked out tails and emblems, 3 inch toytec spacer/AAL lift, Alpine head unit, Boston acustics speakers, and 10 inch image dynamics sub (in custom seat/box), Alpine EQ, Flowmaster 40 series, and viper alarm system, 33inch bfg MTs, 15inch black steelys
    That i dont have right know but i could check on it tomorrow and if i find it i will post it.

4. Jan 14, 2009 at 11:21 PM
    jolayiv

jolayiv Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    New Bern NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD 4x4 Off-Road
    Revenge-Fab Sliders, AVS Vent Guards, Rear TSB, Hose clamp MOD, Locker MOD, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow, Midland Radio, Wilson 1000 antenna, Rear Diff breather MOD, Weathertech liners, Maglite mount, Bed Divider, LEER 100XR, Pop&Lock
    Sounds good.

5. Jan 15, 2009 at 4:35 AM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    Before anything happen to the head light, did you install any after market light bulb?
    If do, I believe the wiring harness for the head light is damaged. check the wire that go to the head light socket. I hope this can help

6. Jan 15, 2009 at 7:45 AM
    cclax2145

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    I did check the 3 prong plug that the headlights connect to but it still does'nt work. I even pulled the connector apart slowly insuring that it had a good connection in that block at one point.

7. Jan 15, 2009 at 7:55 AM
    cclax2145

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Yea i was thinking that too. But im also gonna try and get different connectors for the headlight connections and see if that does anything. Please keep posting I would love some help. Thanks

8. Jan 15, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    So cclax2145, did u use any after market super bright head light before? I have the experience that those light bulb will melt the connector & the wire, and the problem that you have, I believe is the headlight socket.
    How about .... did you have any friend have the HID install? may be you can borrow there HID ballast and try it on yours.... so you can 100% sure that is your wire harness have problem or your HID ballast.
    Hope this can help you a bit.

9. Jan 15, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    I am kinda thinking your problem might be in the switch also like USMC said. Some pics of your lights and connectors would help if you could post them.:)

10. Jan 15, 2009 at 2:34 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    My first guess would be a worn-out or faulty control switch. A wiring fault (loose connection; short; bad ground connection) might also explain it.

I'm a bit confused by what you wrote ... The way I interpret it - with the original headlight(s) you could get them to come on by tapping on the lamp itself. With the new (HID?) lamp(s) you get them to come on by manipulating the control switch. Can you get the lamps to light up using either tactic now, or only by messing with the switch?

11. Jan 18, 2009 at 1:39 PM
    cclax2145

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    pretty much now i have to turn my car on auxiliary and flick the switch back and fourth until both come on and then turn my car all the way on but sometimes when i turn my car on one will go out again so i have to turn it off again and try it again.

12. Jan 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    CVP71

CVP71 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5 PreRunner Super White
    Headlamp relay/wiring upgrade w/Sylania SilverStar Ultras.
    I've had a similar problem. If the fuses are ok, then according to the FSM, p. BE-3, troubleshooting guide, the most likely problem is the dimmer switch, which is the one your turn signal lever operates. My low beams would not work, but the high beams did work. I called the Toyota dealership I usually work with, and they also indicated the most likely problem is usually the dimmer switch.

”Lo–beam” does not light. (All)

1. HEAD fuse (LH, RH)
    2. Headlight dimmer switch
    3. Headlight bulb

4. Wire harness

To Top