1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight Relay Clicking???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 1stgen98taco, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Apr 8, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    1stgen98taco

1stgen98taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    bama
    Vehicle:
    1998 5 spd 4x4
    Hello, I am new here, looking for help on a topic I've searched high and low for... Earlier today I was tightening my battery terminals and once I was done, all ready to leave I try to crank the truck and I get nothing, all the dash lights, radio.. everything works but the truck will not even begin to turn the starter. When I turn the headlights on I hear a buzzing or fast clicking noise coming from the headlight relay. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a 1998 tacoma 5sp 4x4 v6 engine.

2. Apr 8, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    1stgen98taco

1stgen98taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    bama
    Vehicle:
    1998 5 spd 4x4
    I've checked the battery, checked the headlight relay, all the fuses, took the fuse box off to inspect it for frayed wires or bad contacts all checked out good the only thing I can think of would be a frayed wire somewhere else.. shoot some ideas and opinions my way

3. Apr 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Dead battery, or very close to dead battery. Less than 12.4vdc and it's dead or close to it.

4. Apr 8, 2011 at 1:44 PM
    mx04taco

mx04taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Marietta,GA
    Vehicle:
    04, SR5, TRD, 4wd
    Flowmaster exhaust, Pioneer DVD HU, Pioneer speakers all around, , Viper security w/ remote start, Tinted Windows, Silverstar Headlights, Toytec 3" Coil Springs, All Pro Offroad Diff Drop 3/4", Bilstein 5100s, 2" Toytec AAL's, Toytec poly rear leaf bushings, Deckplate Mod 4", 265/75r16 firestone destination a/t's
    did you check the voltage on the battery? what exactly did you do to the terminals?

5. Apr 8, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Its a dead battery. something like this happened to me the other month. YOu have not voltage in the battery. For me, the battery was fully charged but only had 2.1v lol my stereo sucked it dry.

take out the battery and take it to a car parts store. they should test it for free and you can find out for sure

Products Discussed in

To Top