1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight Upgrade 2017 TRD

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by FourTimesFour, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Feb 24, 2019 at 9:39 AM
    2017OR

2017OR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    TRD exhaust, Pro Grill, Access Tonneau cover, TRD Pro wheels, BumperShellz, Pro shift know, Yota LED grille lights
    Yep. Ordered on Jan 6th. Hard to recommend purchasing from this UK company. Customer service is good and responsive but if you can’t receive the product, not much point. Hope it works out better for you.

2. Feb 24, 2019 at 9:46 AM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Right at that time was the govt shutdown causing long customs delays. Everything was taking forever, including products I ordered from overseas from other companies. I’ve ordered from Powerbulbs for many years and always had a good experience. Unfortunately the bulbs are not available domestically. Did you not receive your bulbs?

3. Feb 24, 2019 at 11:23 AM
    2017OR

2017OR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    TRD exhaust, Pro Grill, Access Tonneau cover, TRD Pro wheels, BumperShellz, Pro shift know, Yota LED grille lights
    Haven’t received them yet. Reached out to PB customer service and they were great. They sent me another set via tracked mail about 3 weeks ago. Yet to receive either set at this point however. But, customer service has been good. I’m waiting patiently.

Edit 2/25/19. Just received both sets of the GE bulbs direct from PB after long wait. Will try them out on morning commute tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    rsimi72 and crashnburn80[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Mar 2, 2019 at 10:18 AM
    ceedless

ceedless Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super White DC TRD OR
    @crashnburn80 thank you for putting so much time and effort into the testing you’ve conducted and for putting fingers to keyboard with your results to educate the forum.

I received my GE’s from PB and installed them the other night, pulling out LEDs that I had thought was going to be an improvement. I do drive around an area of LA that is lit up like an overly populated city, but also live in an area that has some dark spots. There are some fairly dark areas that I know of close to my house and headed over to a particular industrial center that I knew would have some great areas to level out the lights properly.

With my truck going through some suspension changes, after having my TC +2 LT and Kings installed while the rear is stock, I’m bro-leaning pretty hard right now until the rear is done. This made my headlights just offensive, man.

Pulling into my housing community, it’s fairly dark to where I can see the end of my LED light projection at 500ft. To the point where the street name signs that are 12ft off the ground were lit up, obviously signs that were closer were more prominently lit, but still. After installing the GEs, it’s (no pun intended) literally a night and day difference. Those LEDs were so blown out looking, compared to the GEs direct light pattern and hard cutoff. That same drive into my community entry is laughable now...I literally chuckled and said to myself, “holy shit, you’re an idiot.” Cause I couldn’t believe that I had been driving like that for so long. The same 500ft throw wasn’t even something to compare.

I know that the entire point of all this is to inform, educate, provide facts and share information. But, I can also see the other side of the coin... when someone says that their LEDs are performing great/fine/awesome in these projector housings, it truly doesn’t even merit a response. That statement is so wrong that the word wrong doesn’t want to welcome that statement into the wrong category.

I trust my eyeballs over anything, not emotion or what I think is right, my eyes never lie. If you are not going the Rx350 retrofit route, you cannot beat the light projection of the simple swap out of your stock bulbs and into these GE headlight bulbs.

Irony did come into play - as I was driving back to my house from this industrial center, a 2nd Gen with LEDs was approaching me and we both met at a 4-way stop sign simultaneously. His truck was slightly lifted but sitting level. Even though mine is probably 1”-1.5” taller, his headlights instantly pissed me off. Think of a screwdriver or wrench falling off the top step on a ladder and hitting your in the face or head - that instantaneously, pissed off “you”, ya, that was me.

Thanks again, sir!

crashnburn80 likes this.
  5. Mar 2, 2019 at 12:53 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Thanks for sharing! Your experience coming from LEDs to a real performance lighting product is not uncommon. I'll share your post over in the 3rd Gen headlight thread.

ceedless[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Mar 4, 2019 at 10:29 PM
    deAutoLED.com

deAutoLED.com Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    What debacle? If you want we can explain further as we know the wrong bulb was shared so if that is the case then we can clear it up as many have positive feedback with the bulbs tested for the Tacoma and we can share them here to avoid your confusing statement.

We have very popular white/yellow fogs:
    http://deautokey.com/product/dual-c...n-a-clean-white-hyper-3000k-yellow-at-anytime

HID for low projector- thin ballast - no errors or relays:
    http://deautokey.com/product/35w-slim-digital-ac-canbus-ballast-h7-h8-h11-h15-9006

Only error free bright front turns 7440:
    http://deautokey.com/product/universal-front-turn-signal-leds-fits-all-car-models

NEW LED for projectors coming out too.

Thanks

7. Mar 5, 2019 at 1:49 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    To make things easy, I'll just stick to engineering facts.

No real automotive lighting manufacture has "wrong h11 bulbs" or "right h11 bulbs" for an H11 light housing (aka the debacle). An H11 housing is designed for an H11 bulb, any h11 bulb, period. Pick up any H11 bulb product at an autoparts store from a real lighting manufacture and you will not see a list of "approved H11 housings", because the mere fact that it is an H11 means it is correctly designed to work in all H11 housings. Trying to claim the LED H11 bulb was used in the "wrong H11 housing" or that the "wrong H11 LED" was used in an H11 housing is a blatant admittance that the products are fundamentally flawed and do not work. If you'd like to discuss this further I'd be happy to provide examples with your products.

Since you avoided all my previous questions about your engineering compliance standards and you seem to keep wanting to come back to these threads, I'll ask again. Are your products SAE compliant? Are they stamped with SAE, DOT and E1 compliance stamps, meaning they meet real engineering standard certifications? And you still haven't answered about the results of your legally required SAE chromaticity window fog testing? What was the test result for the chromaticity window? As an engineer I clearly know the answers to all these questions.

The halogen lighting upgrades being discussed in this thread all meet real engineering SAE, DOT, and E1 compliance standards, they also all fall in the required chromaticity window. I highly suggest not trying to pass products off as something they are not. Myself and others have been working at building TacomaWorld to be a forum leader in automotive lighting, with threads here being referenced across countless other automotive forums across the internet. Though I shouldn't have to tell you, since you know, as you were one of my followers from another forum, just like so many others before you. I'm flattered. But here many of us will set the bar with science to continue to elevate TacomaWorld above the rest.

8. Dec 18, 2019 at 8:57 AM
    AZ_Tumbleweed

AZ_Tumbleweed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB Cement 4x4 AT
    Thanks, just ordered a set of GE+130s on Amazon for my 2020 which unfortunately only has the LED DRL.
    It appears they sold out shortly after though

9. Dec 20, 2019 at 6:13 PM
    Eric the Ricer

Eric the Ricer Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOVA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand Tacoma Sport
    They're still going, it's been a damn year. Completely forgot. Not sure if I want to go HID or just buy another set of these.

10. Dec 21, 2019 at 9:25 AM
    btreible90

btreible90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I've been struggling with these stock lows. I just bought it not long ago and was very disappointed in them. Looks like imma upgrade to those H11 GE MegaLight Ultra 130%'s.....once they are back in stock...which is disappointing :(...any idea the wait time for PowerBulb stock?

11. Dec 21, 2019 at 9:46 AM
    Claudiomartinof

Claudiomartinof Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OFF ROAD 6MT
    H9 swap is more powerful than those ge 130

bought them about a week ago to realize later than a regular h9 is stronger.. I will use the 130s on my fogs and I already installed hella h9 2.0 on low beams.

had the previous set of hella 2.0 h9 for 3 years.

I do not have money to spend o quality hid that’s Why I ended up just replacing h9 and buying the ge130 for the fogs.

12. Dec 21, 2019 at 9:49 AM
    Claudiomartinof

Claudiomartinof Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OFF ROAD 6MT
    @crashnburn80 is the gurú on this.. he was the one that told me that the h9s spread more light..

crashnburn80 likes this.
  13. Dec 21, 2019 at 11:00 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    GE H11 Megalight +130s are great, but the GE H11 Xenon +120s are even better and more readily available. The Xenons are the best direct swap H11 in terms of peak output intensity. While peak intensity is close to a Philips H9 swap, the H9s will put out more light throughout the pattern than the GEs.

14. Dec 21, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    btreible90

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm interesting. More readily available is certainly a plus for sure. I probably missed it in this thread, but I didn't see mention of the GE H11 Xenon's anywhere.

15. Dec 21, 2019 at 11:49 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
  16. Dec 21, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    btreible90

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    RoNeil and crashnburn80[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top