1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlights out

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Durango Bob, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Oct 16, 2017 at 8:37 AM
    Durango Bob

Durango Bob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mat-Su, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2009 4.0 Extended Cab
    Dumb leveling kit
    leaving store last night and headlights wouldn’t turn on. Pickup did this about two months ago, but lights came back on after shutting down and restarting pickup. I could never figure out what it was.
    Only the passenger side parking light would light up. Hazard lights still work. I also do not have windshield wipers.
    I’m thinking a blown fuse but didn’t have needlenose pliers to try and swap one out. I’ll be digging into it tonight after work. Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

2. Oct 16, 2017 at 11:48 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    Here is some wiring diagrams to get you started. Cant point you in any direction because all we know is they dont work, and the fuse status is unknown.

It is my understanding that the only way restarting the truck would fix your lights, is if the ecu was getting low power from the battery. It will kill auxiliary systems such as headlights, ac, stereo, tail lights, wipes, etc etc in an effort to keep the engine running as long as possible. I experienced this with a dead alternator and managed to drive almost 75 miles.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzWO_nZl019Vck04NFp3a3RFWVE

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzWO_nZl019VTFFYbW4yR0JYREU

3. Oct 16, 2017 at 6:29 PM
    Durango Bob

Durango Bob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mat-Su, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2009 4.0 Extended Cab
    Dumb leveling kit
    Thanks for the help. I’m embarrassed to say it was blown headlight bulbs. They looked fine using a flashlight but daylight made it easy to see.
    However, it definitely makes me wonder what caused both bulbs to go suddenly and simultaneously. Especially because the lights not lighting has happened before...?

4. Oct 16, 2017 at 8:05 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Headlights blow more often than you would expect in pairs. If both lights were swapped at the same time (as they should be) the bulbs have the same lifespan, logically they would be expected to fail near the same time. A simple test is to try the high beams.

Products Discussed in

To Top