1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headliner rattle and other general rattles

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TKETACO, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Dec 19, 2021 at 12:03 PM
    TKETACO

TKETACO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    Hello! I just picked up a new to me 2020 off-road. Great truck so far aside from some chronic rattling. One that I have chase down and finally identified is over the passenger side front seat where the headliner rattles when you are on anything other than smooth road. If I press and hold it the noise goes away but I’m not sure how to fix this for good. Would this be something that would be covered under warranty? Any idea how to fix something like this? Every day it seems like there is a new plastic rattle somewhere inside the truck. Is this normal?

2. Dec 19, 2021 at 12:31 PM
    OMGitsme

OMGitsme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sold
    Maybe someone dropped a screw in there while modding. Or maybe it's why it was traded in. I'd just go to a body or interior shop and pay them to drop the headliner.

And my 2019 is whisper quiet.

3. Dec 19, 2021 at 12:39 PM
    Technique

Technique Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Offroad DCSB
    -285/70/17 Toyo AT3 -Tuned
    71tattooguy likes this.
  4. Dec 19, 2021 at 12:46 PM
    Tacomike18

Tacomike18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    Welcome to the club. Here’s a list of the mysterious noises in my truck. Front right speaker rubbing against the pillar cover, no remedy yet. The door latch rattled, screws came loose, just put some lock tight and solved it. Window rattles in door while down, no remedy yet. Passenger seat rattles and cause is something on the rail but when you sit down the noise goes away. Seatbelt time to time makes rattle noise. I make the radio louder and the noises disappear.

5. Dec 19, 2021 at 1:30 PM
    BmTaco91

BmTaco91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 AC TRD OR 6MT
    My headliner rattles on passenger side beside the over head console . I have a 21 access cab

photogr4x4 likes this.
  6. Dec 19, 2021 at 2:00 PM
    scottc

scottc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport 4X4
    KDMAX- Pro Tune TRD Exhaust
    One thing I've noticed is just about every time someone rides on the passenger side the seat belt gets turned between the seat and side pillar and rattles until I straighten it out. Only thing that annoys me a little is the seat popping or clicking when I turn and my weight shifts.

7. Dec 19, 2021 at 2:58 PM
    TKETACO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    I’ve nailed down a few places where it rattles. first, between the door and the dash, I added some rubber tape so that the door and the side of the dash are actually touching each other now. Without that they would intermittently rub and specifically when I would play music I would get a major rattle in my passenger door. This solve that problem. The photos attached show my problem areas. One is the overhead light area and the other is above the passenger seat belt. I’ve been trying to nail down the specific places by stuffing paper as you can see into these areas. This seems to solve the problem but obviously is not a long-term solution. Trying to figure out what I can stuff in there to make things quiet. The rattle in the overhead light is unbearable as it’s right by your ear. Also another area is between the seat and the armrest, also shown in the photo. They just barely touch causing all kinds of squeaking and rattling. If I stop something between the seat in the armrest that all goes away. Seems odd that these materials touch each other and there’s not even a quarter inch of space between them.

2BE0CBB5-88E6-4B6D-827A-4E968C5349A7.jpg

8. Dec 19, 2021 at 3:08 PM
    rsimi72

rsimi72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma SR5 Access Cab
    Looking at your pillar rattle above your seatbelt. My access cab does the same thing there. Just one door panel on the access cab rather than a pillar trim piece but it’s getting really tiresome. Good luck with yours.

9. Dec 19, 2021 at 5:16 PM
    TacoinMD

TacoinMD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Double Cab Sport.
    I purchased a piece of carpet padding for my headliner rattlingly issues. Both the driver and passenger sides between the door frame and sunroof rattled like crazy.

Carefully pull the U shaped rubber weather strip down from the top of the frame. Once removed you'll have enough space to slide a piece of carpet padding between the liner and metal roof.

Reinstall the U shaped weather strip and you'll be rattle free.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    rsimi72 and TKETACO[OP] like this.
  10. Dec 19, 2021 at 5:41 PM
    PTPinETN

PTPinETN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    ETN
    2021 OR here.

My overhead rattle was a piece of trim above the headliner around the overhead switch panel.

Switch panel pulls down (4 plastic push style clips near the corners), takes a pretty hard pull.

Take some red backed 3M tape and tape that under “ring” to the headliner.

11. Dec 19, 2021 at 5:44 PM
    TKETACO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    I’m not sure where you are speaking about with regards to the U shaped rubber weather stripping. From within the sunroof mechanism?

12. Dec 19, 2021 at 6:21 PM
    TacoinMD

TacoinMD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Double Cab Sport.
    When the doors close against the body of the truck, the doors close against a piece of black rubber. That black rubber weather strip wraps around the entire door. Grab the rubber strip at the top of the door opening and steadily pull down. Once that rubber strip is removed from the door opening you can slide your hand under the headliner.

13. Dec 19, 2021 at 9:18 PM
    MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missoula
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 SR5 DCSB Super White
    Winter weather brings on a whole host of amazing rattles, vibrations, knocks, pings and squeaks in our Tacomas. “Luckily” for me I’ve just got the absolutely insane dash rattle that’s basically the rubber dash trim slapping against the lower windshield when it’s cold, making it sound like my dash is literally falling apart.
    Once that cab heats up the rattle disappears and my truck is super tight.
    From about May to October I get to enjoy a solid, rattle free truck. From mid-October through April I feel like I’m driving a total bucket of loose nuts and bolts every morning on my way to work.

14. Dec 20, 2021 at 11:58 AM
    TKETACO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma
    You sir are a genius! How is able to pull the rubber seal out and stuff some material between the headliner and the plastic and it seems like the problem is now solved. Onto my next rattle…

MissoulaGriz and rsimi72 like this.
  15. Oct 9, 2022 at 8:56 PM
    truckmike26

truckmike26 Active Member

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    '94 Pickup (Hilux) 4WD, '09 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD, '21 Double Cab Super White TRD Off-Road
    Since new in July '21, my Double Cab TRD Off Road had this chafing sound like chubby thighs rubbing together in pants. It seemed to be coming from the headliner or sun visor rubbing together. Turns out it was the rubber flap between the top of the steering column and the instrument cluster bezel being ill-positioned or loose. Reach in there and straighten it or pop off both the head unit and cluster bezels (the head unit one comes off first) and the rubber flap is easily reattached.

The left most air vent damper wasn't secured to the cluster bezel properly so it and the trim ring fell out onto the driveway. I crawled under the truck to get it and snapped back in securely (as it should have been in the first place). Two fixes with no tools. The chafing noise is gone.

16. Oct 10, 2022 at 3:02 AM
    22Coma6MT

22Coma6MT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport AC 6MT
    if, rather when, i get rid of the tacoma, one of the reasons will be the crappy assembly. it's one of the worst. i've dealt with a dash rattle and squeak i think i fixed, and since shortly after buying the truck very annoying clicking and rattling noises in both access cab doors.

i've posted before that we have a '09 camry with 225K miles that has less rattles and is tighter than the '22 tacoma.

toyota quality is not what it used to be.

17. Oct 10, 2022 at 9:59 AM
    rsimi72

rsimi72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma SR5 Access Cab
    Yeah, the access cab door design I am finding leads to annoying rattles. I just think that missing the solid pillar to close against leads to doors that move around a lot, and that leads to rattles. If you solve it, I'd love to know. Good luck.

18. Jul 30, 2023 at 10:41 PM
    photogr4x4

photogr4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Nada
    Just started happening tonight, '21 AC TRD OR. Driving me insane!

Products Discussed in

To Top