1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headliner replacement on 95 Toyota Tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Livingston, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Jan 21, 2017 at 9:58 AM
    Livingston

Livingston [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    95Tacoma
    1995 Toyota Tacoma SR5
    I am in need of direction. Had my windshield replaced and 20 minutes after I pulled out my headliner was hanging. I went back immediately and asked them what was going on. He told me they could spray some glue and just tack it back up.
    Upon inspection of the surface below the lining there isn't any tacky dry residue that would tell me it had been glued before so I told him "NO!" I want it fixed not a band aid put on it.
    They said they would make it right and so far I have been to 2 body shops and 3 upholstery guys looking for the solution.
    They finally decided today to pull the windshield and see what was going on. I arrive and the Head Honcho they brought in the take a look says, "Sure we can glue that back up there." and I said "No!" Well he backed up and said that they would pay to have it fixed the way I want it to be.
    Now I am not an AH and just want my truck to be worth what it was before I walked into their glass store. They cannot get a schematic to see if there was a different install since it is a vinyl headliner.
    DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE HOW A '95 TOYOTA TACOMA VINYL HEADLINER IS INSTALLED?

2. Jan 21, 2017 at 11:25 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    well its a form fit piece that is rigid and is only held up in place at 3 points, the rear view mirror and the sun visors

not sure how it is on your truck (I had a 99 & now a 04) but if they pulled it down to put in the windshield they may have creased it so its no longer a rigid piece and it doesn't stay up on its own anymore.

if they can glue it back up in place to stay put then I see no reason not to let them, I don't think you can buy replacement headliners anymore so .....

3. Jan 22, 2017 at 9:03 AM
    skeezix

skeezix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    Hey Keakar, are you sure about that? I mean, do you have first-hand info? The reason I'm asking is that the headliner on my 1998 is not tight against the roof at the rear view mirror area, and I would like to route a wire between the headliner and the windshield over to the A-pillar. I started to pull the headliner down but didn't get very far. It's not boogered yet, but I would like to lower it a bit so I can hide that wire.

4. Jan 22, 2017 at 9:21 AM
    devinzz1

devinzz1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    cxr turbo, fic6, methanol injection, king coilovers, jba uca, skyjacker leafs, rear 12" 5125s, no-slip rear locker, 35" grabber x3, magnaflow muffler, retrofit headlights, trans cooler, bed lined exterior, etc...
    pre 98 taco headliners are held with clips tucked up around the rear window and going around the entire roof. The rear window HAS to be removed to install or even remove it.

5. Jan 22, 2017 at 9:54 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    well my experience is only with my 99 and my 04

on my 04 I ran a new wire from the dome light to the rear view mirror to upgrade it with map lights and the headliner "seemed" to only be held up by the dome light in the middle and the rear view mirror and sun visors but I didn't take it down so there "may" have been some clips holding it as well. to do mine I used a coat hanger (with tip bent in loop so not to damage anything) and worked it between the liner and roof insulation to run my wires.

the actual headliner material is a pressed form fit fiberglass board that is pretty stiff and rigid on its own but once that rigidity is gone (like if some dufus forced it down instead of taking it down properly) I think the headliner is screwed beyond it ever staying put as it should.

all I can say is refer to the service manual for your truck to be sure what you are dealing with

that's really cool info to know :thumbsup: I didn't know this and im shocked to hear the back window has to come out, that seems like an insane way to design it

Products Discussed in

To Top