1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

headrests in Doublecabs....tight fit when folded down?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Alan in GA, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Jan 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport Double Cab

I didnt have the net either in my 11. I went to the dealer and got it. It was around $8 I think. I didnt pay for it since the dealer gave me a $25 gift certificate to use there:)

2. Jan 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Did you look in the bag next to your jack under the back seat? Mine came with two nets. One for the center console and one for behind the back seat.

Yeah I think the fold down thing is just to see out the back. You still have to remove them to fold the seat down all the way.

3. Jan 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    tsub345

tsub345 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Near Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    '17 Super White TRD OR
    Solid Fold 2.0, Cali Raised LED Stealth mount bar, Tint, Wet Okole Covers, Tailgate/Glove Box Letters
    I'm checking my '11 as soon as the quitting bell rings!

4. Jan 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Can't find the kids or the seat belts?! ;-)

5. Jan 18, 2012 at 1:17 PM
    JEP

JEP Resident Lurker

Member:
    Madison
    Vehicle:
    15 DBL V6 4WD
    N-fabs, BakFlip VP, power tailgate lock, bed lights, "raptor" grill lights. Standard mall crawler stuff.
    X2

6. Jan 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM
    Alan in GA

Alan in GA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Powder Springs, Georgia USA
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma Off Road 4x4
    tool chest, company logo/decals
    Buckle storage pockets...WOW, did not know THAT either! My 36 year old "Tacoma fanatic" son is bewildered that I have not gotten the owner's manual out and read it cover to cover. I don't even know what some of the buttons are on the dash either [DOH~!].
    FYI: the front seats can be all the way forward and the rear seat headrests STILL get crushed against the folded up/forward seat bottoms. I was impressed to learn about the headrest storage holes as it bothered me to see the headrests 'crushed' especially the right larger side that includes the center headrest/seat.
    Now to go look for the seat belt buckle holders!!
    This webforum is VERY helpful.

Also...when getting checked out in my new Tacoma, the Toyota salesman SAID the headrests were meant to just fold down and press in under the folded forward seat bottoms. Glad to know there is a better [correct] way!

7. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    DIVERMAN

DIVERMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4x4 TRD O/R SWB
    Tailgate theft prevention, Locking rear window, Blind spot mirrors, Fogs on anytime, Rear diff breather relocated, Bed storage locks, LEDs in/out, Relocated trailer plug(custom!), OEM bed mat, OEM running boards, OEM bed divider, Bed lights, Rev lights, Raptor lights, WeatherTech floor mats and window vents, Extra D-rings, ImMrYo Bracket, UWS low pro black toolbox, Carhartt seat covers,
    my 12 didn't come with the net either. went back to the dealer and after about 15min of explaining to my salesman and the parts guy, the salesman went and got me one out of a used truck (for free!!) still in the bag. this might help y'all out.[​IMG]

i knew i took this pic for a reason! lol.

8. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    danimal92sport

danimal92sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    dcab, 4WD, TRD O/R
    I don't think that was the intent of the folding head rests. I recall reading something from Toyota specifically stating that the new folding head rests were to improve rear visibility without having to actually remove them.

9. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    This ^

10. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    crazyrzr85

crazyrzr85 So many b!tches, so little time...now back to TW!!

Member:
    First Name:
    ErIc
    W.PA
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD DBL Cab(Totaled) 09 DCSB OR BSP
    Rugged Ridge front mats and Husky rear mat, bed mat, vent visors, bug shield, pine scented tree on mirror
    saw this the other day and it made me :cool: a lil bit

11. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    Jholder70

Jholder70 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport V6 Silver
    Still trying to decide...
    Did you find it?

12. Jan 19, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    tsub345

tsub345 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Near Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    '17 Super White TRD OR
    Solid Fold 2.0, Cali Raised LED Stealth mount bar, Tint, Wet Okole Covers, Tailgate/Glove Box Letters
    NO!!!:mad:

But I will look up the part number thanks to Diverman.

13. Jan 19, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    can anyone post a pick on how that baggage holder/cargo net looks when in use? i didnt get one with my tacoma, im really interested to see it in action.
    not the little one in the console, i have it, the big one.

14. Jan 19, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    The big one looks exactly the same as the one inside your center console. It's just longer.

It goes in the storage area behind the passenger rear seat.

15. Jan 19, 2012 at 7:27 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I don't have the larger one either... Maybe it was added a year or 2 later?

16. Jan 19, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    Jholder70

Jholder70 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport V6 Silver
    Still trying to decide...
    You know that is really sucks... the first day I got my 12 I went over to a friends house, he has a 08 and he was looking around in mine and one of the first things he noticed.. "dude, where is you center console net?..", and I was like "what?"

17. Jan 19, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    back on topic:

I had my rear head rests removed as soon as I got home, that was until I realized adult passengers in the backseat would have a head-glass hit if I ever got ass packed. People need to remember that head rests are less for comfort and more for safety.

I've just learned to use my side mirrors more and deal with the slightly obstructed view in the rearview.

my .02

18. Jan 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I don't have any problem with the headrests getting in the way. But I also have a canopy on mine, which obstructs the view quite a bit. No problem though.

19. Jan 19, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Same here... I've found that those reflective things sticking off the side of the door work pretty well for seeing things behind you :D

20. Jan 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    Alan in GA

Alan in GA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Powder Springs, Georgia USA
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma Off Road 4x4
    tool chest, company logo/decals
    My purpose for removing the headrests was to not crush them when the seat backs are folded down against the bottom of the seat benches in the 'folded forward' position. The seats stay in this position all the time to allow storage of job materials in the back seat area. Occasionally in the summer I will hook up the boat, removed the 3 boxes of stored job materials and place seats in 'normal' position with the headrests in their proper places, on top of the seatbacks. When removed from their normal safety position they are now only a few feet away, stored in the holes mentioned above. They will be quick and east to place back when needed for people seated in the back and job storage boxes removed from the vehicle.

Products Discussed in

To Top