1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

headrests

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wolf13, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Sep 15, 2009 at 8:32 PM
    wolf13

wolf13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 4X4 Access cab TRD OR
    TRD Offroad w/Tow package. LEER 100XQ topper, painted grill surround, 08 cup holders, scangauge II
    Looking to replace my headrests ('10 TRD OR buckets )with something a bit more comfortable so was going to hit some junkyards looking for new headrests. Besides the rear seat headrests from a double cab tacoma (which I don't have), are there any other comfortable headrests that fit right in that anyone has used?

edit//
    And don't even start on the active head rest saving my life crap. its find something more comfortable or sell the truck. I didn't test drive it long enough to realize how bad it would be long term, my fault, now its time to do something. We got by without our chins crammed into our chests before and I am still willing to do it still. Not wanting to totally remove it, just get a more vertical head rest. I know you folks mean well, but please save it if you can't actually help.

2. Sep 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 4Runner Trail Premium
    i think wit will be very hard for you to find

3. Sep 16, 2009 at 11:33 AM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    You might not be able to change them out as the 2010, at least the one I have has active head rests in the front seats. This is one of the two things that make it hard to find seat covers for my truck. The other is the seat mounted air bag.

4. Sep 16, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    wolf13

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad w/Tow package. LEER 100XQ topper, painted grill surround, 08 cup holders, scangauge II
    the headrests are easily removable, like the previous years, not sure what you mean by active aside from verticle height adjustment. they jsut stick so far forward. I've already tried flipping them around, but then I feel like I have no head support.

5. Sep 16, 2009 at 11:39 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    your best bet is to take the cover off and shave them to fit your head and have them recovered. maybe take it to a shop to do it.

6. Sep 16, 2009 at 11:40 AM
    RogueLeader

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    The head rests are designed to move forward in the event of a rear end collision. There is a mechanism in the seat that forces the head rest forward when your butt gets pushed back into the seat.

7. Sep 16, 2009 at 11:47 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    really???i didnt know that.is that just for the 2010s or other years as well?

8. Sep 16, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    RogueLeader

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    Apparently, these were supposed to be standard on the '09 as well. I was trying to find a good source for explaining how the active headrests work, and there are a couple of listings for these headrests for the '09. From the Toyota Pressroom website: "Also new for 2009 Access and Double Cab models, active headrests on the driver and front passenger seats move up and forward almost instantly in the event of certain rear-end collisions to help reduce the distance between the occupant's head and the headrest."

9. Sep 16, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    wolf13

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    if they move up any farther, my chin will be in my chest. I really didn't think it would bother me so much, but 15-20 minutes it gets really annoying.

10. Sep 16, 2009 at 2:05 PM
    RogueLeader

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    Wife's '09 Corolla is like that. I don't like the headrests in her car for that same reason. The only way to prevent the chin-in-chest discomfort is to recline the seats until the headrests are at an angle to relieve the pressure. The Taco headrests don't bother me near as much.

11. Sep 16, 2009 at 5:53 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    The active head restraints are standard on almost all if not all '09 cars and trucks. If you want to change them you could either swap out for some '08 headrests or slightly bend the bars. Of course this would eliminate some adjustability.

The headrests in my mom's '09 Subaru Impreza really bugged her but she was able to just lift the headrest up enough so the top of the rest did not hit her directly in the back of the head. It seems that most people that have a problem are vertically challenged. I have had no issues with the Active Head Restraints in my '08 Accord or my '09 Tacoma.

12. Sep 16, 2009 at 6:08 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    i dont even rest my head on the head rest...lol unless im making a long road trip and i decide to take a mid-drive nap :)

13. Sep 16, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off Road 4x4 Barcelona Red
    I feel the opposite, this is the first vehicle I've ever had where I feel comfortable resting my head back, but 98% of the time my head still doesn't touch the rest.

Do you drive around like a thug or something? :p

14. Sep 16, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner

haha nope, my seat goes back pretty far just cause im tall, but i sit my seat up pretty straight (atleast thats how it feels to me) but my head rarely touches the headrest, it feels like my head is too far back and i have to tilt my eyes down alot to even see..lol

15. Sep 16, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    sdel82

sdel82 Active Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab
    Does anyone know the research that went into making them that way? They are like that for a reason. I dont advise anyone modifying these. It might save your life!!!!:eek:

16. Sep 16, 2009 at 7:37 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Removing the headrest might put you in a life and death situation due to the violent kickback of your head in an accident but as it currently is it will not be much as far as life saving is concerned. It helps prevent a serious neck injury from the whiplash effect.

17. Sep 16, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm making a seat back pad for my wife that will 'fill the gap' so her back is supported.

I think it is amusing that the headrests are supposed to move up and forward to "...help reduce the distance between the occupant's head and the headrest." Do most people sit on the edge of their seat with a foot or more distance between them and the seatback? That's the only way I see you're going to have any significant distance between your head and the headrest.

18. Sep 16, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    wolf13

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:

that risk, vs neck/headaches after a half hour every time I drive? Not planning to remove the headrest entirely, I just want something comfortable. And I seriously doubt cramming my chin into my chest or having my head so far forward is really going to save my life or even signifigantly alter my chances of injury. All I want is a comfortable alternative.

Between the headrests and the vibrations, I haven't even had this truck a week and I am already regretting buying it. that's the last time I ever do a short test drive. However, one of those things had better be getting fixed by the dealer, and one of those things I will need to fix before I can really enjoy this truck. I really don't care if others find these headrests comfortable, I don't so I am asking if anyone has experience with other options that will fit. I find it very difficult to believe the tacoma's are the only vehicle with this specific retention setup and that no other vehicles headrests will fit. If i have to I'll end up having them redone by a local shop, but that will cost as much as a junkyard set I am sure.

19. Sep 16, 2009 at 7:57 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I can tell you that the 2004 Vibe headrests do not work--the posts on the Vibe headrest are too small in diameter.

20. Sep 16, 2009 at 8:05 PM
    sdel82

sdel82 Active Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab
    If you get a serious neck injury, you may as well be dead. Maybe everyone should drive with a c-collar on. LOL. It really is'nt funny.

To Top