1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headunit Suggestion for 2012 with JBL

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by nesmario, May 24, 2012.

1. May 24, 2012 at 7:52 AM
    nesmario

nesmario [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Sport
    Okay,

Was going to go the Cleansweep route and keep the factory, but having second thoughts and thinking I may as well do the HU and blow some more money....any suggestions on a HU? All I'm looking to do is

Navigation
    Bluetooth
    USB
    A hookup for a Droid phone would be nice, but not necessary

doesn't need to have DVD or satellite, sirius, etc. but looking to keep the cost reasonable. Also, I'm assuming I'll need adapters to keep steering controls, but can i keep the rear view camera also? I'd like to keep that too.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. May 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    Pavehawk

Pavehawk Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 OR
    I've be looking for a HU for my 12 as well. I have it narrowed down to 3. An Alpine ine-z928hd, Alpine ine-s920hd, or a pioneer avic-z140. The Alpines aren't out yet but I saw them at CES this year. The 928 is super cool but probably $1500 plus the Alpine perfect fit kit which likely be $3-400 ish. My concern with the 920 is its a 6.1 inch screen - wondering if that will be big enough but I like it because it has a volume knob. The 920 is going to be around a $1000. I think the pioneer is about $1100 retail but it's under 900 on Amazon. The pioneer is my backup incase I can't stomach the $2k for the 928 setup and the 920's screen is too small.

Is your radio have Entune? If so, is it bad enough that you want to replace it?

3. May 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    nesmario

nesmario [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Sport
    Yes, it has entune, but I don't use it, so I could care less about that really....not looking to spend that much though, was looking at the 8400 or the AVIC x940 i think it was? Would love to have something that supports android, and the x940 seems to do just about everything I'd need, but then I'd have think about the steering wheel controls, and also the rear view camera...x940 says it has an input, but I don't know if the '12 has the right connector (composite maybe?) to be compatible...(if you know the answer to that, I'd love to hear it!!!)

I've spent enough on the speaker/sub/amp/cleansweep as of now where I'd like to get something affordable that can do what the factory can in terms of functionality, etc. Looking back, obviously I shouldn't have spent the money in the first place for that option, but of course hindsight's 20/20, and it's part of a package of other things as well.

Can always wait and upgrade later, but like another OP (can'tsitstill), it's a pain to have to re-wire everything back towards the front after having done it all in the back haha.

4. May 24, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Check out the APPRadio2 by pioneer. 7 inch screen and full sync with your phone.
    Edit: and its only 600 installed at most places.

5. May 24, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I have an older AVH-3200BT that I love. Great sound output and if you hunt for it you can find it around $200. The avh-2400bt is also pretty good. Not as fancy but since you are hooking up to stock stereo it won't make a difference.

6. May 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    Pavehawk

Pavehawk Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 OR
    I'm planning on tapping into the camera per this thread.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/30889-oem-camera-connection-below-dash.html

One thing to remember is the camera is powered at 6 volts and that power is reduced from 12v in the rear view mirror so if you want to disable the rear view mirror backup display you'll need to find/build a 6 v source. This guy here does a great job. http://www.tacomaworld.com/out.php?url=http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355342

I did check my truck and the 2012 has the same wiring harnesses as the ones shown in the treads. I even discounted them to confirm it takes the picture away.

If you do end up with a new HU I'm sure you'll be able to sell your Entune HU here. I would be interested if you are selling. What don't you like about it? Does the nav suck or just not enough power or does the sound suck? I upgraded my speakers and deadened the doors so far - that's made a huge difference. for now I'm waiting on the Alpines as well as a dash kit for the 2012s - as far as I know there aren't for the 2012s yet.

Good Luck.

7. May 24, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    nesmario

nesmario [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Sport
    It's not bad, and I plan on trying the cleansweep first to see how it sounds. Good luck to you as well!

8. May 26, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    JustinL

JustinL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Berlin, CT
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffRoad DCSB Pyrite Mica
    2012 Conversion
    You spent $ on a factory JBL head unit now you want to take it out? Get some wheels/5100's or something!

Products Discussed in

To Top