1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hear me out: Hilux restoration and electric conversion

Discussion in 'Hilux' started by TS4x4, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Sep 28, 2022 at 5:21 AM
    TS4x4

TS4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Offroad
    Ever since I was a young lad who watched Back to the Future, I've been obsessed with the original Hilux pickup from the 80's. I've been watching Craigslist and FB marketplace for the better part of year, and it seems like prices are finally starting to come down from some absurd highs. Mint 80's Hiluxes are still going for around $20k-$30k, but ones that are beat but salvageable have fallen into the 4-7k range.

Here's the plan. I want to find one that has a solid body and frame, and replace the drive train with an electric setup. So it doesn't even need to run, which means I could possibly find one for even cheaper, maybe in the 2-3K range. Ford currently sells the 281hp Rivian crate motor for just under 4k. The kicker is that you have to find your own battery setup. I'm in the early research stages, but it does seem possible.

Anyone with experience swapping electric motors on here want to chime in? Is this just a pipe dream or would it be possible to do out of my own garage with a basic setup? I appreciate your replies in advance! All in all I believe this project could be done for under 10k, and at the end of the day I would have something totally unique, built by my own hands. I'm looking for realistic ideas here, not a pat on the back and well wishes. So feel free to squash my dreams lol.

2. Sep 28, 2022 at 5:25 AM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    Price an automotive battery pack. That will put a crimp in your budget.

3. Sep 28, 2022 at 5:27 AM
    TS4x4

TS4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Offroad
    Yeah I've found a Tesla model S battery for $1,600. I've also been watching battery prices as well and hoping that they fall. I don't mind if the project take a few years, so I can wait it out for more manufacturers to start producing battery packs and hopefully bring the price down. I'm also open to daisy chaining several packs together if it can be done safely.

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=4

4. Sep 28, 2022 at 9:37 AM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several
    Heck, just install a LCE Stage 3 engine and call it a day. I think that runs on pump gas.

To Top