1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heart Healthy Meals

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by SteelRain, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Jan 6, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Look into the Paleo Diet. It's more about quality than quantity and it goes back to eating like our ancestors (cavemen). Either way it stresses less processed foods, what to eat, recipes, and gives you a breakdown of macro nutrients. I've been doing it for a little while and once you figure out how to make your meals and adapt it's amazing. My wife actually converted over to it recently. She preggers with twins right now and her BP was starting to act up. Little more exercise and the diet has helped her out a lot. Also, since you're a cop, invest in the tupperware from costco. There's a big box with a bunch of containers that works well for me. I'm a cop in the Navy and my shifts are 12hrs but all the food I bring helps me stay awake and what not. Plus I eat like 6-7 small meals a day (zone diet for guildlines). If you want I can PM you the Zone diet info for a breakdown on how to break up your food/scheduling

2. Jan 6, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    man i have all kinds of recipes for you, im allergic to beef, milk and pork products

3. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    My point is the volume one would be required to eat. You'd have to eat much more in beans to gain the same amount of protein in meats.

4. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    my soon to be ex told i will live forever, just cause im to damn stubborn and hard-headed to die
    seriously i mostly eat seafood and chicken and all sorts of turkey shit and lots of liquor. every meal consists of atleast 2 veggies and a fruit and a mixed drink of some sort or a beer

5. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    If I were you, I would have killed myself after I found out I was allergic to the best things on earth.

6. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    sometimes in my drunkin rage it crosses my mind . jk! dude, you play the cards the lord gave you and make the best of it

7. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:09 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    nah, i can eat all sorts of things that are white and smell like seafood

8. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Yikes...ok, have you considered vegetables?

The biggest thing to watch with high BP is sodium intake. Sodium leads to water retention leads to increased blood plasma volume leads to higher BP.

I would also recommended some cardiovascular exercise. Eating better is one great part of the equation, but exercise is necessary as well. A good diet and regular exercise TOGETHER are FAR more effective than either by itself. It's how our bodies were meant to operate.

9. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    I can't play cards without a slab of charred livestock.

10. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

There are no such things as bad or good fats, only bad or good amounts.

11. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    Richman21

Richman21 I think therefore I'm a Democrat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Sport PreRunner
    Hardwire radar detector. Tube steps.
    Two years ago my doc told me I had borderline high BP and I was only 33. I went home and looked at what I was eating, sure enough, everything was amazingly high in sodium. So I turned into the sodium nazi. I watch my sodium intake during the week and try on the weekend so I don't get completely discouraged and stop watching it all together. Get your favorites restaurants nutrionial guides and find items that are low in sodium and order just those. Surprising hamburgers, not cheeseburgers, are usually one of the lowest with sodium on the menu besides salads. Watch your processed food intake, very high in sodium. Processed meat, ie lunchment, cheese slices even bread is high in sodium. Canned vegtables, high in sodium. Lean beef is very low in sodium, fresh chicken, fresh pork, but not bacon. I can give you more details if interested. I also have looked for foods that help with lowering BP. Foods that are high in potassium. Potoatoes, almonds, orange juice, bananas, just google, foods that are high in potassium. Good luck, it was a life changing event for me.

12. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    I am well aware of that. Once more: no such thing as bad nutrients, just bad amounts...

13. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    eat the beef and cheese and skip the salad

14. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    SteelRain

SteelRain [OP] Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    Thanks guys for the ideas!! I really appreciate the support. I love grilled food, just looking for various recipes to change things up a bit. I look forward to trimming up too..definitely need that

15. Jan 6, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    The Paleo diet does recommend resticting your egg and dairy intake. About 6 eggs/wk and pretty much since the dairy is processed yeah you try to cut it out but I pair it with the Zone and I still have eggs and milk. It's so hard to try and eat 6 meals w/o IMHO. Great info though and I can tell a huge difference on a cheat day. Another thing to keep in mind with diet as well, is your exercise. I took up crossfit a year ago and not until I started the diets did I notice a huge improvement.

16. Jan 7, 2010 at 4:18 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Neither of those is a nutrient.

I think you need to do some reading.

Dietary intake needs to be based on daily proportions of macronutrients, micronutrients, total calories, and hydration. And all this needs to be calibrated to match the person's activity level.

Eating a big mac is not automatically bad, and eat a chef salad is not automatically good. Without context, you can't make a judgement call regarding either food.

The misunderstanding on the public's part that there are "good" and "bad" foods is why fad diets are so ridiculously popular and horribly ineffective.

17. Jan 7, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I watched Good Eats last night (DVRed episode) on eating healthy... good episode if you can find it.

18. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    oatmeal for breakfast everyday...

19. Jan 9, 2010 at 7:28 PM
    SteelRain

SteelRain [OP] Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    awesome suggestions guys!! Thank you again for the overwhelming support!!

Products Discussed in

To Top