1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heated Mirrors Kit - Interest / Update Thread (pic heavy)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Up2NoGood, Jun 13, 2015.

?

Would You Like To Sign Up For Heated Mirrors

1. YES

722 vote(s)
    95.4%
  2. NO

18 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. TLDR

17 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Feb 26, 2017 at 6:15 PM
    sasquatch95

sasquatch95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    nanaimo BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB sport
    How much is the 4Runner kit? Does it come with mirrors also or just wiring??

2. Feb 27, 2017 at 12:15 PM
    Up2NoGood

Up2NoGood [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    I've only done a few of them at this point but the pricing is normal kit cost minus $50 but it is on the customer to source their own mirrors. They are pretty expensive mirrors so most people look for used or aftermarket rather than buying them brand new.

3. Feb 27, 2017 at 2:44 PM
    sasquatch95

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    nanaimo BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB sport
    Hmm i'll just have to find some mirrors then as I'd like to add them to my mod list... but if I can't find any at a Reasonable cost i'all be getting your heated mirror setup :) thanks!

4. Feb 28, 2017 at 10:00 AM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Sounds good... just let me know! I spent a long time watching ebay for a pair of used 4Runner mirrors. They don't come up very often and seem to sell fast when they do.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Feb 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM
    sasquatch95

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    nanaimo BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB sport
    If you don't mind me asking. How much did you pay for them and what should be the price range to watch for them? Don't want to overpay

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Feb 28, 2017 at 4:18 PM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    I ended up getting tired of waiting for a used set, so bought new. I'm hoping I can recoup some of that by selling my sport mirrors that have the turn signals.

7. Feb 28, 2017 at 4:19 PM
    sasquatch95

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    nanaimo BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB sport
    Fair enough! I don't think anyone would want my 07 sport mirrors. Nothing fancy about them at all

8. Mar 19, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    MGB_Lou

MGB_Lou Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5, 4WD, V6, SB
    None
    SIMPLY OUTSTANDING! While the USPS did not play well with us, I can tell you that Jaimes is TOP SHELF! It took a bit longer to get my kit but boy-o-boy, was it worth it! If you haven't gotten your kit yet: do it! If you're on the fence thinking about doing it? DO IT! I promise you, it IS as easy as it looks and well worth it... I'm stoked and could not possibly be happier. Thank You Jaimes! https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/heated-mirrors-kit-interest-update-thread-pic-heavy.377840/

Heated_Mirrors_031817.jpg

9. Mar 30, 2017 at 5:10 PM
    Wiscy Toy

Wiscy Toy Active Member

Member:
    Reedsburg, WI
    I apologize because I'm sure it's been asked but would I maintain the power mirrors with the switch in the same location on my 2013? Meaning the heater switch would purely function the heat?

10. Mar 30, 2017 at 6:44 PM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Actually I think you might be the first person to ask that. Yes it will retain your power mirror adjustments. Part of the harness transfers all of those signals over so that everything works and adds the heating function.

11. Mar 31, 2017 at 5:36 AM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Everything works perfectly in my setup, no loss of factory features.

12. Mar 31, 2017 at 8:31 PM
    PhilC

PhilC Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I'm sorry if this has been asked multiple times, but can the mirror adjust switch also fit into the door on my 06? Otherwise I'll just install it in the dash, thanks!

13. Apr 1, 2017 at 1:02 PM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    I won't say that it's not possible, but I've never heard of anyone installing the adjustment switch in the door. As far as I know Toyota has never put any blanks there for the 2nd gen so if it was possible at all it would require some custom modifications.

14. Apr 1, 2017 at 2:27 PM
    PhilC

PhilC Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stupid me! I kept thinking they were on the door, but they are on the dash, so I'll be planning on getting this kit really soon! Excellent work man

15. May 17, 2017 at 6:52 AM
    D2.

D2. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma - access cab 4x4 2TR-FE
    Cruise Control install. Intermittent wipers Hood lights Bed Lights Sliders 3" lift 886's on Billy 5100's Icon AAL 285/75 R16 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's
    any update on the 2Lo Mod? did your PCB come in yet?

Murphinator likes this.
  16. May 17, 2017 at 7:18 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    2lo is gonna be awesome !!! :yay:

G.T. likes this.
  17. May 17, 2017 at 10:58 AM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Here is where things are at. The initial PCB design/prototype was "mostly" correct but did need a few minor modifications. The design and layout has now been tweaked and I have assembled some of these and confirmed the revision is good! Pics below are of the revised boards.

2lo bottom.jpg
    2lo bottom close.jpg
    2lo top.jpg
    2lo top close.jpg
    2lo case.jpg

2lo harness.jpg

Right now they are working and I am just having some revisions made to the software in the board. There were a few ways this could have been designed, and to be honest the approach I've taken was not the easiest path. The problem with some of the more simple ways is they would bypass certain safety features... the most concerning one being the ability to accidentally engage low range at high speeds which I'm sure would be the equivalent of setting off a grenade in your transfer case lol.

The PCB itself is actually capable of some really cool things, but it would be easier to just make a quick video when I get a chance to show that rather than trying to explain it all in writing.

It's a fully plug and play unit. To hook it up you disconnect the two connectors going to the 4WD ECU and plug them into the PCB. Then take the harness that will come with the kit, plug one end into the PCB and the other end into the 4WD ECU. The connectors I've used make it so that it is impossible to ever accidentally hook this up the wrong way. Think of it like one of these...

blocks.jpg

You can try to connect it the wrong way and it simply won't work.

Anyhow although I'm waiting on a few minor adjustments to the programming, the PCB does work. I've had one in my truck for some time now and can engage 2lo in a matter of a seconds whenever I need it.

That's the good news I guess. I have 6 of the revised versions of the boards and 2 of the original prototypes that needed a couple of modifications. If I had to guess I should hopefully have the programming 100% ironed out in the next week or two.

The not so good news.... I have been absolutely swamped lately and my personal time has been stretched razor thin. I'll of course still work towards making this an available product, but I really have no known timeline for when I can do that. I don't have the time needed to build the harnesses myself, I've received a couple of quotes to have them built but the minimum order quantities are around 1,000 pieces per order which I'm not prepared to do.

I know I will be able to find a company that will work on smaller volumes likely for a higher unit price. As I said though I just haven't had any spare time lately to dive into it.

The last thing I want to do is try and make these available without actually having the time to supply them. It will just lead to everyone being frustrated including myself.

The units I have on hand I will go ahead and make the harnesses myself and make those available once the programming is complete.

BigOly, Pigpen, 2012Taco and 6 others like this.
  18. May 17, 2017 at 11:04 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Catching up with info about the cool stuff OP makes :thumbsup:

Up2NoGood[OP] likes this.
  19. May 18, 2017 at 12:52 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Very interested in the 2lo Mod :drool:

20. May 18, 2017 at 8:09 AM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Still loving my heated mirrors. If you haven't done this yet but are thinking about it I say go for it.

Products Discussed in

To Top