1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heated Mirrors Kit - Interest / Update Thread (pic heavy)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Up2NoGood, Jun 13, 2015.

?

Would You Like To Sign Up For Heated Mirrors

1. YES

724 vote(s)
    95.4%
  2. NO

18 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. TLDR

17 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Nov 22, 2017 at 11:12 AM
    Admiral Awesome

Admiral Awesome IG:Bucklaooooo

Member:
    First Name:
    anthony
    Houston Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD LT
    Camburg 3in LT kit fox shocks/bypasses 315-75-16 Scs f5 wheels gunmetal 16x8 Prinsu rack 40in heretic light bar Cali raised ditch light Baja squadron pros McNeil fiberglass fenders Adv fiberglass bedsides Volant intake
    Looking to get a kit

1) Switch position (Mirror Adjust)
    2) How many minutes (Mirror Adjust 10)
    3) Colour (green)
    4) US

2. Nov 25, 2017 at 11:01 AM
    EdinCincinnati

EdinCincinnati Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OR
    @Up2NoGood The 2 Lo Mod is now my favorite addition to my truck!!!

hunter357mag and EatSleepTacos like this.
  3. Nov 25, 2017 at 1:59 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Man, I want this so bad. Had to drop my truck into 4lo the other night to back up my driveway, and thought of this.

tonered likes this.
  4. Nov 28, 2017 at 12:36 PM
    Up2NoGood

Up2NoGood [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Unfortunately not. The 3rd gen as far as I know has both a different 4wd ECU & also uses a different style connector. Is anyone looking into putting something together? If so I could probably share some helpful tips but without owning a 3rd gen I won't be working on one myself. It took a lot of tweaking and debugging to get everything just right.

LOL you aren't kidding. The project has had no shortage of obstacles to overcome! I'll have an update probably later tonight on the 2lo module.

Much appreciated!

Same here, although the real frost surprisingly hasn't hit in full force over here in western Canada yet. I typically overbuild things though and make them to last. I don't see any reason why these shouldn't last the lifetime of the truck!

Glad to hear it :thumbsup: I've found mine to be super helpful when it's needed. I couldn't stand the feeling of the front end binding up when I had to use 4lo where 2lo would have been ideal.

Stay tuned... it's been a long journey up to this point but they will be coming available!

5. Nov 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Sent you both PMs

6. Nov 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    I'm excited to hear that!!

7. Nov 28, 2017 at 12:38 PM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    For those interested in the 2lo module I will have an update on things later tonight

vssman, EatSleepTacos and G.T. like this.
  8. Nov 28, 2017 at 1:39 PM
    EdinCincinnati

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OR
    mwc273 likes this.
  9. Nov 28, 2017 at 1:44 PM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Dang! No one is working on it AFAIK except folks are begging OVtune to look into it.

Thanks though.

If you do happen to get a 3rd Gen to work on, there would be a ton of folks who would jump all over a 2lo module, including me.

10. Nov 28, 2017 at 2:40 PM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    I know some of you have been waiting a long time for these 2lo modules and progress after the initial prototypes has been very slow. A major hold up I have been experiencing is having the PCB's assembled for this. The initial prototypes I assembled myself and am fully confident with my work, but these use surface mount components and without the correct equipment such as a pick and place machine and reflow oven hand assembly is a very slow / inefficient way to do it.

Anyhow down to the nitty gritty. Over the weekend I decided to cancel my assembly order with the company who was supposed to be handling this. This was a bit of a tough decision as it is the same company who played a major role in helping develop the project with me, but at the end of the day they are a small and busy company and I was just not seeing any further progress being made.

What I have done is lined up a different company for the assembly now. Although this will still be a time consuming process, I can say that I've already seen more progress out of them in the last 48 hours then I have seen with the original company in 2 months :eek:

I've now worked out a plan if you will with the new assembly company on how to roll this out. They will be starting out with just a few boards for me. Although it's very expensive to contract just a few boards since you end up paying for all of the set up fees, I am very fussy about things being done right and I need to make sure their assembly 100% before diving in with a larger order. They have agreed to do this and the first units should be ready to ship I'm told in 3-4 weeks (just ordered 2 days ago). Provided everything is the way I want it then I will go ahead and get a larger order in which should also be about 3-4 weeks turn around.

Although I wouldn't say this is "fast" I can say that I've received way better communication, and have been told they will ensure things are done the way I need them.

I was hesitant to make the switch because it felt like taking a step backwards, but I do think in the long run this will result in better service and turn around time.

I'm glad to now have some actual dates to work with and feel confident that everything will be fine with the initial boards I order. If that is the case I'll move right on to a larger order so we can finally get the ball rolling here!

Other than that the only other minor update is I do now have the cases that I had designed for this project. I think they turned out great!

Here is the digital concept of the case which I have shown previously
    2lo Case.jpg

And here is the actual completed case with one of the modules in it!

2lo Case 2.jpg

Anyhow I know this is a very long post so congrats if you read it right to the end lol. I've had a few of you guys ask me recently how things are coming along so I wanted to provide a detailed update.

11. Nov 28, 2017 at 2:46 PM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    I don't know him personally but someone else who has a 3rd gen and might be up for the project is mesojdm. He has done a few pretty cool things.

12. Nov 28, 2017 at 2:50 PM
    EdinCincinnati

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OR
    That’s an awesome update Jaimes!!!

The 2Lo Mod is the easiest plug and play add on that makes a huge improvement on gearing and maneuverability. It’s the best addition to my truck thus far.

May you find good fortune in providing more modules to market!!

Pigpen likes this.
  13. Nov 28, 2017 at 2:53 PM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    I just reversed up into my garage last night using 4lo. It was 1,000% easier than reversing in 2hi on the flat due to the stupid gearing. Still happy to be patient with whoever takes this on for the 3rd Gen.

I would have faith mesojdm's work. But, I am holding for a combo taillight kit from him. I'm in no rush there either.

It sounds like you are ready to make a lot of 2nd Gen'ers happy. Good luck with the production!

14. Nov 28, 2017 at 3:13 PM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Fantastic update. I'm in no rush, and am very happy to see these moving forward. Hopefully the price point is something I can manage, as I'd love this mod when ready.

15. Nov 28, 2017 at 3:28 PM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Thanks! It's definitely a great addition to the truck. Would have been nice if it was a stock feature.

You would think Toyota would have learned by now and put some lower gearing in 1st and reverse for you guys with manuals. I have an automatic myself, but have driven the manual and the gearing is a bit nuts lol.

I'm sure it will be worth the wait. His work looks very clean and professional... the ECT Auto on module he designed looks like it is taking off which is great!

Just curious has anyone pulled off 2lo for the 3rd gen as more of a DIY project rather than a module of some sort? I imagine with the electrical schematics and a bit of time someone would crack the code.

Yeah I'm definitely glad to keep this moving along as well. Once everything is sorted I'll get a new thread started which will have all sorts of details, pricing, pictures, instructions etc. I've held off on making a dedicated thread because I knew this was going to take some time and didn't want to have people getting frustrated playing the waiting game.

16. Nov 28, 2017 at 3:37 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    That's sexy

17. Nov 28, 2017 at 3:43 PM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    agreed :cool:

Pigpen[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Nov 29, 2017 at 6:06 PM
    tbird95

tbird95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport SR5 V6 DC, LB, 4x4, Tow package
    4runner heated, signal, courtesy light side mirrors, rearview mirror w/compass, temp & backup cam w/ pop luck PL 5400, Interior lights/gauges, BHLM, grillcraft MX black. Third brake light LED swap, rear tail lights LED swap from 2011. 3" Toytec (Boss) Coil overs, rear TSB AAL Bilsteins, Light Racing UCA. TRD grill badge, VIPER Smart Start.
    Anyone know how to remove the adjustment switch cover to change the led color?

19. Nov 29, 2017 at 7:04 PM
    tbird95

tbird95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport SR5 V6 DC, LB, 4x4, Tow package
    4runner heated, signal, courtesy light side mirrors, rearview mirror w/compass, temp & backup cam w/ pop luck PL 5400, Interior lights/gauges, BHLM, grillcraft MX black. Third brake light LED swap, rear tail lights LED swap from 2011. 3" Toytec (Boss) Coil overs, rear TSB AAL Bilsteins, Light Racing UCA. TRD grill badge, VIPER Smart Start.
    I got it apart but there's no light on the circuit board!!

20. Nov 30, 2017 at 12:15 PM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Just replied to your PM. But yes the illuminated switch vs non illuminated are two different Toyota parts. The switch you have is a non illuminated and unfortunately can't be added on.

Products Discussed in

To Top