1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heated Mirrors Kit - Interest / Update Thread (pic heavy)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Up2NoGood, Jun 13, 2015.

?

Would You Like To Sign Up For Heated Mirrors

1. YES

724 vote(s)
    95.4%
  2. NO

18 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. TLDR

17 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Jan 16, 2018 at 4:40 PM
    Up2NoGood

Up2NoGood [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    I guess it would depend how you do it. Unfortunately those are two very different kits but here is what I think is possible:

1) It wouldn't be too hard to set up in such a way that when the mirror adjust switch button is in the in position the mirrors heat and when it is in the out position they don't. This is a bit of a trade off though since you would be giving up your timed auto shut off option in exchange for an easy conversion. There would of course also be the risk that if you forgot the switch in the pressed in position then the mirrors would be heating all of the time until you noticed it.

2) It could be wired up with a TDR timer relay that would trigger the standard DPDT relay that you have with the left of steering kit. With that option you would retain the auto shut off feature and also the cancel feature if you wanted to shut off the mirrors before it timed out. The downfall on that option being a bit more wiring and parts needed and also adding in a additional point of possible failure since you would be needing 2 relays to do what should really be a 1 relay job.

You've already purchased a kit once so if you really want to proceed with one of these options then I'll just sell you the parts at cost and no charge on my time etc. It won't be overly cheap though, just adding the new switch, relay & shipping and your north of $100 at my cost.

If it is something you want to look into just fire me a PM with which of the 2 options sounds better to you and I'll let you know what kind of wiring would be involved in the conversion.

2. Jan 16, 2018 at 5:55 PM
    BadDNA

BadDNA Uh, huh huh... Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eammon
    Cabot, VT
    Vehicle:
    '15 Blue Ribbon Metallic DCLB SR5 4x4
    OME BP-51s, JBA UCAs, Dakar leaf pack, Hammer Hangers, SOS Skids and sliders, Mobtown Tailgate reinforcement, Bussman fuse block, and stuff...
    I have the discontinued kit with the 15 minute timer built in. That probably changes option two a bit. I'll think about it and let you know. I wasn't thinking it would be that pricey, but thanks for getting back to me.

3. Jan 16, 2018 at 6:06 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Order the new kit with what you want and simply pull the old switch and wiring. Once out, sell it here in the B/S/T section. It will sell, I know this because that is what I did and mine didn’t last three hours after I posted it.

4. Jan 16, 2018 at 6:39 PM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Option 2 is still valid. Both the 5 and 15 minute options for left of steering have the timer built into the switch itself.

The cost is certainly not cheap. One area you could save a lot of money is on the switch itself. I use genuine Toyota parts with the kits, but if you are okay with aftermarket I think you can pick up a similar mirror adjust switch for only around $10 - $15 vs OEM around $75. The TDR relay is about $35 which would be needed on the second option. It starts adding up pretty quickly!

5. Jan 20, 2018 at 1:49 PM
    MadRiverTaco

MadRiverTaco Join TW, they said. It's free, they said.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brenden
    Waterbury, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black DCSB TRD OR "Caroline"
    King 2.5 Ext. w/ Compression Adjusters (Front & Rear), Dakars w/ D29XL, TC UCA's & LCA's, ARE CX, 17" SEMA Pro's, 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, BORA spacers, Rigid Side shooter ditch lights, ATHF bedside reinforcements, OME carrier bearing drop bracket, extended rear brake lines, Northstar 27F battery, Yakima Jetsream crossbars, OEM roof rack, OEM skid plate, TRD Pro grill, URD TCAI, 5.7L Throttle Body, BensonX bedside tool mounts, fire extinguisher bedside mount, AMP research bed step, Redline Tuning hood struts, ECGS needle bearing mod, CV Boot slide mod, Differential breather mod, U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ Timbren Bumpstops, A-pillar RAM mount w/ cell phone holder, ProFX tow mirrors with turn signals and heat, "Raptor" lights, DEPO taillights, motorized Pop n' Lock
    Just got some ProEFX mirrors thanks to the man @mach1man001. Now I need to wire some heat to those bad boys! PM sent.

mach1man001, BadDNA and jpereira2 like this.
  6. Jan 23, 2018 at 1:28 PM
    Oxhead

Oxhead New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Tacoma TRD sport
    Hello,

I live in Canada and would LOVE to have heated mirrors!!!

Would like to order;

Mirror adjust
    15 minutes
    Green
    Canada

7. Jan 23, 2018 at 3:35 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Please send me an PM with some more information including what mirrors you are interested in and your full address including the postal code so I can get you a quote for shipping. Thanks

jpereira2 likes this.
  8. Jan 23, 2018 at 4:41 PM
    joshtxedition13

joshtxedition13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    So does this kit work with the 2010 - 2013 4runner mirror swap?

9. Jan 23, 2018 at 6:30 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I know this post will quickly get buried, but...

Even on the nastiest days here in northwest Montana very near the Canadian border, I find no need for the 15 minute switch. 5 minutes is more than long enough on the worst days. This kit is awesome. I have the 15 minute switch and find myself manually shutting it off almost every time after 2-3 minutes. Sometimes I forget and realize my clear dry mirrors are being heated unnecessarily 10 minutes later.

MadRiverTaco likes this.
  10. Jan 23, 2018 at 6:54 PM
    MadRiverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brenden
    Waterbury, VT
    Vehicle:
    King 2.5 Ext. w/ Compression Adjusters (Front & Rear), Dakars w/ D29XL, TC UCA's & LCA's, ARE CX, 17" SEMA Pro's, 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, BORA spacers, Rigid Side shooter ditch lights, ATHF bedside reinforcements, OME carrier bearing drop bracket, extended rear brake lines, Northstar 27F battery, Yakima Jetsream crossbars, OEM roof rack, OEM skid plate, TRD Pro grill, URD TCAI, 5.7L Throttle Body, BensonX bedside tool mounts, fire extinguisher bedside mount, AMP research bed step, Redline Tuning hood struts, ECGS needle bearing mod, CV Boot slide mod, Differential breather mod, U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ Timbren Bumpstops, A-pillar RAM mount w/ cell phone holder, ProFX tow mirrors with turn signals and heat, "Raptor" lights, DEPO taillights, motorized Pop n' Lock
    This is actually timely insight. I’m close to the Canadian border as well and I’ve been debating between a 5 or 10 min switch. Thanks!

Pigpen[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jan 24, 2018 at 3:29 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Oops sorry, I guess I didn't read the title to this thread correctly when I posted above. I thought this was a tow mirror specific thread

MadRiverTaco and jpereira2 like this.
  12. Jan 24, 2018 at 4:07 AM
    Hit n Run

Hit n Run Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    14 Black DCLB Sport
    Up2NoGood can make you a harness so the 4Runner mirror swap and heated mirror mod are all plug and play. I bought one and it's my favorite mod to date.

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

13. Jan 24, 2018 at 5:30 AM
    MadRiverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brenden
    Waterbury, VT
    Vehicle:
    That’s legit. If I didn’t need the towing mirrors I’d go with these. Love the puddle lights.

14. Jan 28, 2018 at 7:18 PM
    unclemat

unclemat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Baja
    Sadly the switch is a little bit too tall.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Jan 28, 2018 at 7:27 PM
    unclemat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Baja
    I was wondering... how about relocating the VSD/Traction control switch to the center console using a Highlander switch to free up space for the OEM heated mirror switch. Could be an option for TRD O/R folks without blanks on the left side of the steering wheel. Would make sense to locate it right to the A-TRAC switch actuaally.

[​IMG]

16. Jan 28, 2018 at 7:32 PM
    unclemat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Baja
    Or DAC. Also looks to be the center console type.

[​IMG]

17. Jan 28, 2018 at 7:45 PM
    unclemat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Baja
    Or RSCA or inverter switch... looks like many options!

[​IMG]

18. Jan 28, 2018 at 9:34 PM
    Up2NoGood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Replied to your email

It would require a custom harness to do 4Runner mirrors. I’ve done a few but they are a bit more work and materials to make it a click together integration.

lol yeah there are some possibilities, just replied to your pm.

19. Feb 15, 2018 at 8:43 AM
    CITY TACO

CITY TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greater New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Barcelona Red
    Quick question for the heated mirror guru's out there. I see everyone appears to use 18 gauge wire for these but in combing through pick a part yards all the Camrey, RAV4 honda's and any thing else with a factory heated mirror appear to use a smaller 21 gauge set up. Any reason we can't a least use the smaller gauge to snake through the mirror as I also want to put the signal lights and maybe puddle lights in the mirrors.

20. Feb 25, 2018 at 11:59 AM
    Andretti

Andretti Active Member

Member:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    I am finally making time to get this installed tomorrow once off duty. I am really looking forward to getting this done and knowing the likelihood of me finally getting this installed on my truck will pretty much guarantee that we will not suffer any more snow or ice on the cars in my area at least until next Oct/Nov. That being said, I am excited to finally put this excellent kit into action. Thanks again for the opportunity to purchase one for my Tacoma.

G.T. likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top