1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heated WaterPORT??

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by MattyJans, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Mar 9, 2021 at 7:43 PM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
  2. Mar 10, 2021 at 12:55 AM
    tonykarter

tonykarter Crappie Savant

Member:
    Snuff Gully, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB 4x4 Sport 1993 4Runner SR5 4x4, 411,000 miles
    Pine tree air freshener
    Agreed to an extent. I'm not a thermodynamics expert, but...Sixteen gallons of 145-150 degree water is quite a heat sink. Possibly too much heat in there early on causing it to be too warm (entirely dependent on variable outside temps, can crack a window a little if you want), and possibly not enough heat left before dawn. I was thinking of insulation the tank with this to aid in the primary purpose of undertaking this project: to heat water for a hot shower.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bertech-Fati...NGXFSGPQ3WKDGQG81&refRID=49BNGXFSGPQ3WKDGQG81
    I've got one of these, 4' x 6' in front of my workbench and the foam is perfect for insulation. (And I didn't pay this much for it. I paid $27 from some restaurant supply place on the net.) It will aid heat retention, speed heat build in the tank, and help slow its radiation. That might make it viable as a heater for the whole night.

Everything is pie in the sky until somebody finishes one of these, but sixteen gallons of scalding hot water in there with you is not a bad thing.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  3. Mar 13, 2021 at 9:29 AM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    I like the idea. My concern with simply shutting off flow is that the water in the copper tube continues to heat, possibly to live steam temp. Maybe divert flow through a finned heat sink or add something like the relief valve/overflow container we have on our coolant systems to prevent volume loss. With any luck though the volume in the storage vessel is enough that temp gain and loss stabilize just below 140. I'd think anywhere between 100-130 would be acceptable. Ratio of water volume to number of copper coil wraps can be adjusted too.
    The problem with pulling heat from the coolant system is if it causes the engine to operate at below optimum temp. If the thermostat still opens occasionally (or scan gage monitor confirms it) then you’re just using waste heat and it should be ok.

SR-71A and Pointeman[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Mar 13, 2021 at 9:39 AM
    boston23

boston23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    I know some folks use a steel bucket over the fire. Doesnt fix ur problem but just a thought

5. Mar 13, 2021 at 9:42 AM
    tonykarter

Member:
    Snuff Gully, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Pine tree air freshener
    I like the idea of tubing around the exhaust, but you present some novel issues that need to be addressed. Makes it interesting! I was thinking in terms of how do you compensate for the expansion of the inside diameter of the coils as they heat? At ambient temperature they are tight around the exhaust pipe, but as they heat the inside diameter grows. How then to keep it tight and not rattling around underneath there, causing all kinds of racket?

As for the question of the engine operating below optimum temp: install a thermostat that is 10-30 degrees higher rating. Would also aid in higher heating-side water and better water-to-water heat exchanger performance. Easier to overcome than the water in the copper tubing continuing to heat problem.

Pointeman likes this.
  6. Mar 13, 2021 at 11:26 AM
    Pointeman

Pointeman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2013 Pyrite Mica Tacoma DCLB
    6" Fabtech Amp Research hydraulic steps Front Runner Cab Rack Leer 100xr topper w/rails 17” Black Rhino Warlords Dark Tint 295/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    Interesting indeed! That is the fun of it! The expansion is an issue that I have been researching. I have not landed on a solution just yet...and may not??? Grew up in a family with a long line of inventors/doityourselfers ...favorite statement spoken around our table was: Son “necessity is the mother of invention” This is precisely why I decided to build, not buy my pressurized water system. That and the fact that two tanks only cost me a total of $100 to build. So I will tinker with it until I find a solution. In the meantime I have a Coleman H2Oasis hot water system that works just fine and doesn’t take up too much room.

7. Mar 13, 2021 at 3:17 PM
    tonykarter

Member:
    Snuff Gully, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Pine tree air freshener
    As for tank options: Water Tanks (classacustoms.com) I bought this one, and may still use it as the cool water tank, mounted underneath the bed: Under Mount Style Water Tank 15 Gallon-UM-1500 (classacustoms.com) (I caught a sale and only paid $28.99.)

FREE SHIPPING TOO!

Notice on that page that they will modify the tank any way that you want with ports where you specify, fitting type and anything else you might desire. Pretty nice to have this weight down low, under the bed.

Make hot water, store it in the tank, and immediately get busy taking your shower. No issues regarding retention of heat if you shower soon after heating the water. And I don't need the water to be hot any other time, except when I want a shower. The only other time I need hot water when at camp is to cook or wash. I don't need this system to do that: I can use the camp stove to heat enough for those purposes. This hot water system is primarily for a luxurious, LONG hot shower while out in the woods. This old man doesn't do uncomfortable anymore, not when comfort is easily available with a little ingenuity. Fish out in the boat all day, LONG hot soothing shower on the boat ramp, get in the hammock and sleep MUCH better, because HOT SHOWER!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    bagleboy likes this.
  8. Oct 29, 2021 at 8:24 PM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    I picked up a couple of heating elements of am****. One is a 1000W 110v that heats 4 gallons to bathing temp in 10-15 minutes and the other is a 150W 12v element(other wattages are available). The 150w has a threaded top end that could accommodate a conduit lock ring(I drilled a hole in a 3” abs cap and “cast” the threads with repeated applications of abs cement). I also picked up a very small 12v pump for circulating the water either past the element or through a passive solar heating coil when juice is more precious.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  9. Sep 26, 2022 at 8:09 AM
    bmacw

bmacw Member

Member:
    A cheap $60 sous vide machine (immersion circulator) works really well to bring the water temp to a desired level and keep it there. There is no need to modulate the heat, you also don't need to bring the water to a full boil at all.
    they also have a small agitator to make heating more efficient.

tonykarter and SR-71A like this.
  10. Sep 26, 2022 at 11:44 AM
    tonykarter

Member:
    Snuff Gully, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Pine tree air freshener
    Sous vide is indeed interesting. Except for the heating element I own and have researched every system in this thread. Here is how I am rocking the production of hot water now: Hot Shower made easy. UNENDING hot showers! | Tacoma World
    My objective is to be able to take as long of hot shower as I want. Out in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  11. Sep 26, 2022 at 11:48 AM
    MNMLST

MNMLST Well-Known Member

Member:
    Earth
    tinfoil lined cab runflat headlights pee-thru seats
  12. Sep 28, 2022 at 6:56 AM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
  13. Sep 28, 2022 at 7:15 AM
    GoodDogRUGER

GoodDogRUGER 2021 SR ACCESS V6 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Heath
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR Access Cab V6 4x4
    6112/5160, 285/75/17 BFG KO2 , SPC, Method 703s, BMC/CMC, ARE DCU,
    Hey! Can you give us some pics of how you mounted this under the bed?? I have wanted to do this but havent found the right tank for the job. I do have an 18gal mounted in the bed up at the cab and have a rv pressure pump and use an instant hot water heater for my hot showers (Jolca, would not recommend). Works great when the hot water heater works, but would love to move the tank under the bed.

14. Sep 29, 2022 at 11:39 AM
    tonykarter

Member:
    Snuff Gully, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Pine tree air freshener
    Stevo, man, that setup is ROCKIN! Me like. Can you please post a bunch of close-up pictures so I can rob you blind of your intellectual property? Asking for a friend...
    And links to your bits and pieces would greatly aid my hijack efforts too. THE HEATER AND BOX'S bits and pieces, not your bits and pieces you sick puppy. One question: even with the heat divertor plate mounted on top of the water heater, will the box above the water heater get too hot?

Heath, I haven't mounted it yet. My wife got cancer and I spent all of my time since then taking care of her. I am pretty sure I won't be mounting it. At first anyway. I'm going to see if the sprayer tank in the front of the truck bed is a viable option. If it works, fine. If I find I need that space, then I will mount the tank underneath and somehow mount (removable) and use the sprayer tank's integral pump and pressure control features, but utilizing the under-bed tank. I've got miles and miles of other stuff I need to do first. New at 10...

Here is the shelf above the sprayer tank. It's main purpose it to hold the window air conditioner that blows into the cab when it is too hot to camp in the hammock or in a tent. Affords more storage space above the sprayer tank as well:

6000Btu AC secured to wire shelf, drains thru bed, blows into cab.jpg

15. Sep 29, 2022 at 11:54 AM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
  16. Sep 29, 2022 at 11:58 AM
    GoodDogRUGER

GoodDogRUGER 2021 SR ACCESS V6 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Heath
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR Access Cab V6 4x4
    6112/5160, 285/75/17 BFG KO2 , SPC, Method 703s, BMC/CMC, ARE DCU,
    Thanks anyway for the tank info. Very sad to hear why you are not mounting it. Best wishes and prayers for strength and a positive outcome.

17. Sep 29, 2022 at 12:05 PM
    tonykarter

Member:
    Snuff Gully, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Pine tree air freshener
    Thank you Heath for your kind words. It's just me now, and she is doing great in Heaven. None of this shit matters anymore when you lose your wife. Without her you live life in monochrome. Log out and go spend the afternoon with your wife.

kfacc, jowybyo and YF_Ryan like this.
To Top