1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heater issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rhag1128, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mar 5, 2009 at 5:30 AM
    rhag1128

rhag1128 [OP] Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Eclipse indash HU
    When I turn up my heater past the 3rd heat level I get a clicking noise by the passenger left foot. Felt around and found vibration. Pulled out a small plug that is on the bottom of some black plastic housing and the clicking stopped, but now no heat. What is this issue and how do I get full heat again, its been below 10F all week.

Randy

2005 TRD Sport

2. Mar 5, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Move to Florida,Arizona,or Cali ?.....:wave:..Then put the plug back.

3. Mar 5, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to Tacoma World!
    No idea on your heater, though.....

4. Mar 5, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand

Try that first...

5. Mar 5, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Hello and welcome to TW. The post TacoNut posted maybe the solution to your problem.

Good luck.

6. Dec 9, 2010 at 6:10 AM
    rhag1128

rhag1128 [OP] Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Eclipse indash HU
    Revisiting this since not fixed yet and 5 degrees outside.
    This is not a fan speed tick, I get heat and no noticeable speed ticking. whenI get about half way into the heat side of the dial, it begins to tick. Its really cold today and want to limit my time under the dash taking this apart. In the meantime I guess I will chase the idler pulley RPM based squeel, hopefully its not power steering pump or tensioner.
    Thanks

7. Dec 9, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    So you have heat now? Just concerned with the ticking?

8. Dec 9, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    rhag1128

rhag1128 [OP] Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Eclipse indash HU
    I always have had heat, just warm, it does not get hotter if I turn it up all the way. What is moving as you turn the heat level up an arm that controls a flap? Once I get about 1/3 the way up the dial it starts clicking loud and no increase in heat output.

9. Dec 3, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    g34rh34d

g34rh34d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 4 DR TRD Off Road - ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift, UCWMS, Airbags
    UCWMS; ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift/shocks; Diff drop Spacers; Light Racing UCAs, Firestone Airbags
    Resurrecting an old thread here... I just had the OP's issue occur to me this morning. To accurately describe the issue:

I got in my truck to leave this morning , here are the series of events:

1. Temperature dial was set at 12 o clock position (1/2 Blue; 1/2 red) when I got in the truck and started out to work this morning.

2. I Rotated dial completely clockwise to max red (Heat) setting.

3. Approx 1 minute into my drive in to work, I heard a startlingly loud ticking noise coming out from under the dash.

4. I pulled over to see if I could isolate the issue. (Note -the noise has NOTHING to do with fan motor, as suggested in one of the responses in this thread.) I reached under the dash and could feel the vibration on the side of the small black exposed box (for lack of a better term) located in the passenger side of the central dash area, next to the glove box.

5. In my best estimation and proven by backing off the temp dial a little bit (counterclockwise) resulting in the ticking noise to stop, I assessed that the issue is likely due to the detents for the heat and cold shutters being over driven by the motor on the highest heat setting. (Sort of a "skipping a gear tooth" sort of thing.)

I do not have an immediate solution (fix) to the problem as of yet, other than to leave the heat dial backed off the highest setting for now. But I suspect short of a replacement unit, resulting in a lot of work with under dash disassembly to linkages etc, or some extensive removal of the unit to get inside of it and fix the driven gear, I may be stuck with the problem for a while. (I shutter to think of what the stealer would charge to fix the unit!)

But I may tear into it over the Christmas break to see if I can fix it now that I have a pretty good idea of what the problem is.

Hope that helps!

10. Dec 4, 2014 at 4:01 AM
    g34rh34d

g34rh34d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 4 DR TRD Off Road - ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift, UCWMS, Airbags
    UCWMS; ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift/shocks; Diff drop Spacers; Light Racing UCAs, Firestone Airbags
    Interesting... I am a bit confused on how condensation would cause the ticking, but I suppose its something to consider. Although here in Colorado we havent had any weather for weeks so (at least for me) I'm not sure that is my issue, as I can physically feel the vibration when reaching under the dash.

Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top