1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heavy flywheel?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by chipnoreo, May 20, 2013.

1. May 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM
    chipnoreo

chipnoreo [OP] Ready for snow!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Getting 30 mpg on the highway
    The clutch on my 6 speed is starting to go. There seem to be a lot of options for clutch replacements. I off road a bit and will probably go with a URD stage 2 or 3 for that and get a throwout bearing while I am at it. Seems to be a good option to keep drivability but increase durability from trail abuse. Most people seem to like the URD clutches.

I also want to replace the flywheel while I am at it. The only aftermarket ones I can find are lightweight options from URD (aluminum) and competition clutch (steel). I have no need (that i can see) for a light weight flywheel. (correct me if I am wrong) but for off road use, I would want a heavier flywheel, right? The stock is 31 lbs (I think) and these replacement options are around 18 lbs. I am pretty sure I don't want an aluminum flywheel. Steel seems to be a good option. That said, is there another option out there that I am not finding? I have spent a lot of time looking. Seems to be some good options out there for the older yotas but nothing for the new 4.0s.

Should I just go stock, or go with the steel lightweight?

2. May 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I put a stage 3 clutch w/ a resurfaces flywheel in my 6speed and it works great. If you go lightweight you may have issues with the low end crawling type stuff....You'll learn to overcome it, but why bother? Stock replacement and don't think twice about it.

3. May 20, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    chipnoreo

chipnoreo [OP] Ready for snow!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Getting 30 mpg on the highway
    Thanks! Thats kind of what i had been thinking.

How does the stage 3 feel? My truck is my DD but i also try to take it out to play as much as possible...

4. May 20, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    Ghost848

Ghost848 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    OME + Dakers, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bumper, Columbia overland Dual battery, Super winch,CC stage 4 clutch, bestop supertop, URD TO bearing, BHLM headlights, Cruisin offroad rear bumper, Harrop front E-locker.
    i got stage 4 with resurfased stock... i bought the lightened flywheel and put it in at first what a stupid idea lol but the new t/o bearing that was installed started to fail so gave me a chance to make things right.

5. May 20, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Everyone freaked out at first that I got the stage 3 "It's gunna be like a ton of bricks on the pedal" etc etc etc, but I'm putting in a modified TRD blower soon, so I needed something more than stock.

Now that it is in there - I love it. Pedal loading is fine for me...stiffer than stock, but not unbearable. Clutch feel is awesome - real positive enegements and I'm quite sure it'll handle the load after the blower nicely.

6. May 20, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    bubba353z

bubba353z Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Former owner of a 12 TRD Sport AC 4x4
    I'd stay away from the lighter flywheel for street use - they are better for road race and autocross uses where you want the engine to rev quicker. A heavier flywheel will help the engine keep the rpms up when shifting and be easier to drive.

Products Discussed in

To Top