1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Height and Ride Adjustable Front Shocks

Discussion in '5 Lug' started by Rola2010, Apr 19, 2021.

1. May 21, 2021 at 4:45 AM
    jsheets1

jsheets1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    2005 White Tacoma 2wd Base
    Hmmm, so would need aftermarket springs then... Is there a top spring perch that came on your shock? Idk if I would trust putting a 2.5" spring on our stock top hat

2. May 21, 2021 at 4:52 AM
    jsheets1

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    I was trying to see if there was a way to use the stock top hat. I'm only going for around 2.75-3" of lift so the control arms should be fine.

3. May 21, 2021 at 10:40 AM
    Rola2010

Rola2010 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 2wd base RC
    It does come with a spring retainer for the top but it doesn’t mount to anything and you’ll need fabricated or purchased mounts to install it on the truck, as others who are running coilovers have done. Strictly Street sells the top mounts separately (as well as the whole set up), they may be able to piece a set together for your specific needs if you ask. Feal also sell coilovers for the 5-lug but I don’t know if they will sell just the top mounts separately. Otherwise if you know of a fabricator near you, you could have them made - the coilover post I linked in the first post of this thread has files your fabricator could reference to make you a set.

You’re right, the stock top hat will not work for a 2.5” ID spring. There are conflicting reports as to whether the stock top mount of a 6-lug will fit/can be made to fit our 5-lug, but I believe the 6-lug top mount will seat a 2.5” ID spring, so if you have a buddy who has a set you could access to try, that could also be a way to go if they do in fact fit or if you can do a safe modification to make them fit.

4. May 22, 2021 at 11:23 AM
    Rola2010

Rola2010 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 2wd base RC
    In the interest of thinking outside the box, the 2.5” ID spring will not work with our stock top hat - at least not in the way the stock spring does. In looking at the stock hat, it does seem that there is enough space for the spring to sit inside the spring retainers (rather than outside like the stock ones do). The spring force is still applied and distributed over the mount, which is then applied to the shock mount on the frame, and the spring retainers still do what they are intended to (just in the opposite direction), so the set up still works like the stock one does - though I’m no engineer or suspension expert, so I can’t say whether this is safe or not. I also don’t have the springs to give it a test fit.

Anyone with expertise want to chime in? Or maybe wants to the the first to try it? :D

5. May 24, 2021 at 12:30 PM
    jsheets1

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    Well I'm currently 3" over stock and I'm perfectly fine. I'm probably going to have someone fab me up an upper shock mount to use an eyelet. Might have the guy make me some new uppers while I'm at it, so if I want to I can go higher than I am now.

6. Aug 18, 2021 at 4:54 PM
    Hayrider

Hayrider Over the hill & going down fast...

Member:
    First Name:
    Hey You…
    Convection Oven AZ
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB & X-cab SOLD for more than new‼️ Now 05 & 07
    Reg Cabs, 5 lug, 5 spd, Magnuson & LS Swap, StopTech’s, Yada Yada Yada…
    @Rola2010
    Thanks to you I got tired of trying different spring rates so I broke down and ordered stems for the top of the Viking shocks and order the lower spring mounts from Tom. I will then have the bottoms machine out to make the spring collar on the coil-over shock fit inside the lower spring mounts from SOS / Tundra Racing. I’m going to use the factory dust boots.

@jsheets1
    If you haven’t got top mounts made yet I will have a set of mounts for sale. Plus 4 sets of Coil-over springs available for sale.
    1. A set of New 12” Hyperco’s @ 550 # springs available
    2. A set of Used 10” Hyperco’s @ 525# ditto
    3. A set of New 12” Viking’s @ 500# ditto
    4. A set of New 12” Viking’s @ 450# ditto
    Anyone looking for coil-over springs? Otherwise off to FleBay!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Apr 16, 2022 at 7:59 AM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    More low please.

Rola2010[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top