1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hella 4000 Beam Pattern Choices

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by DDD, Sep 30, 2011.

1. DDD

DDD [OP] Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    I am trying to decide which Hella 4000s to get. I already have a light bar with 2 Hella 500s with 55W HID conversion. I am going to add 2 Hella 4000s and convert them to 55W HID also.

The Hella 4000 options are:

Euro Beam
    Fog Light
    Pencil Beam
    Cornering Beam

Below is a diagram I found on this site.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rallye 4000 Euro Beam

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rallye 4000 Fog Lamp

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rallye 4000 Cornering Beam

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Rallye 4000 Pencil Beam

My 2 Hella 500s are more of a directional spot light. At about 50 yards they keep a pretty tight beam. So I am leaning towards Cornering beam because its a wide pattern and reaches out to 200 meters. i find that the pencil beams will be useless on a trail with tight turns. Even now the Hella 500s are not very helpful on a trail. I will be doing mostly trail driving, some rock crawling, so I won't be traveling very fast. I want to be able to see everything clearly within 100 yards.

Does anyone have the Cornering beam, how do you like them? Will the euro beam give me a wide enough pattern?

2. David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
    I have the pencil (spot) beam 4000s and recently converted the 100 watt halogen bulbs to 35 watt HID (5000K). There is a thread I made on it here on TW Lighting forum.

Pencil beams (a pair) will light no more wide than the width of a 2 lane road, but FAR down it... So, I suggest only using them if you also have a pair of driving beams (aka euro beams)... which light up more area, much like your high beams, but brighter.

The ultimate would be 6 lamps: 2 pencils, 2 euros, 2 fogs or cornering... For up close/ wide... mid range wide... and far range narrow.

3. Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Fog or the wide cornering pattern would be best for tighter/switchback trails.The wider the better in this case.As far as maybe using the Euro/combo light pattern,the second part of that combo is spot.You all ready have distance w/the 500's.No good for what your looking for.

4. DDD

DDD [OP] Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    BUMP.

Anyone here actually have the cornering beams?

5. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
    The conering pattern and photo you show looks awesome... please get that and show us how they work!

6. joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Perhaps one of each? Seems like most of the lightbars for these trucks are good for 3 lights, four is pretty crowded looking.

I am planning on a pair of euro beams when I get the money.

7. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    If just one pair, the driving (euro) beams on a bar or bumper would be best... The best place for fog beams is low, below the bumper, so that is where 2 of the 6 would go... leaving room for 4 on the bar.... the 2 driving and 2 spot beams. Even better are spots on on the roof.

Anyway... some are better than none!

To Top