1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello .. New to this forum "Tie-rod problem"

Discussion in 'New Members' started by mynsbigrthanurs, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Jul 22, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    mynsbigrthanurs

mynsbigrthanurs [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    League City TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 38x15.5x20s
    1.5 inch spider track wheel spacers ebc rotors and ebc green stuff pads tundra racing brake disc conversion with disc ebrake 4.88 rear end gears with detroit locker true track toy tech add a leaf 4 inch blocks on the rear u bolt flip kit 6 inch fab tech lift fab tech drop down brackets 3 inch bilstein 5100 adjustable coilover lift bilstein 28 inch shocks in the rear old man emu 885 coils toytech strut spacer 1/2 inch on the driver side and 1/4 on the pass side to level out due to the gas tank weight total chaos upper control arms (custom specs just for my lift) performance accessories 3 inch body lift pro comp limit strap k&n intake throttle body spacer aftertmarket head lights and tail lights (forgot brand) borla cat back
    [/B][/B] well to start off my truck is taller than any other Tacoma in my year range not really sure why BC all i can find in lifts is a 6inch fab tech and i have 3inch body on it also backed up with 38x15.5x20's toyo's and i can still burn the tires down if i want I'm guessing the old owner changed the gears or did engine work or maybe a chip or something BC this truck hauls ass and i drive a 79 Camaro also with around 650hp so i do know what fast is lol ....... my main question is has anyone else had any problems with the tie-rod not having enough threads on the female side ??? my inner tie-rod was only holding on by 2 threads or so and the truck drove fine and straight and now that is came loose i just took my outer tie-rod off and screwed it back on the inner tie-rod and put it on prob 5 threads so my alignment is now off of course but if they had the same outer tie-rod with a longer female side it would work prefect but im not sure how to find one BC the stock one isn't long enough

410871_2498496840037_665667771_o.jpg
    457843_2498495159995_220379381_o.jpg
    467759_2540942141143_1698087235_o.jpg
    472831_2813946086071_123307560_o.jpg
    477810_2498496000016_2047510199_o.jpg

2. Jul 22, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!

3. Jul 22, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Welcome to TW, I knew the previous owner of this truck, he was a stand up guy and he knew his stuff. He didn't build this truck to be off road capable, more of a mall crawler if I say so myself so it has soem issues.

4. Jul 22, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Welcome to the T-Dub. You should take your Tie rod issue to Fabtech or your local 4wp dealer. I've never dealt with Fabtech before, so I can't say anything about their customer service, but I have dealt with 4wp and have not had a problem with them, even though some say 4wp suck at CS, it's still worth a shot since they sell and install those lifts.

5. Jul 22, 2012 at 6:52 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    its not debatable 4wp has horrible customer service please don't recommend this poor guy to them especially to resolve any tech questions.

fabtech should be able to help you out or there are some really smart guys right here on tw. maybe take some pics and post up what your dealing with so that we can have a better understanding what your dealing with.

6. Jul 22, 2012 at 6:54 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    oh and welcome to tw you will love it here :)

and your truck looks great!sort out your issues and your going to have a bamf on your hands.

7. Jul 22, 2012 at 7:01 AM
    dustin81

dustin81 DUSTOFF

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 TaCo Lifted TRD
    PRO COMP 6" Lift Stage II PRO COMP 2.75" Coilovers PRO COMP MX-6 shocks PRO COMP skid plate Bushwacker Fender Flares Smittybuilt Chrome Steps KC Chrome 6" SLIMLITES Billet Custom Grill JDM window vent visors Window Tint Flowmaster TRD CAI
    Badass! I like it

8. Jul 22, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    IndianTaco

IndianTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    holy fat tires

9. Jul 22, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    mynsbigrthanurs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    League City TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 38x15.5x20s
    1.5 inch spider track wheel spacers ebc rotors and ebc green stuff pads tundra racing brake disc conversion with disc ebrake 4.88 rear end gears with detroit locker true track toy tech add a leaf 4 inch blocks on the rear u bolt flip kit 6 inch fab tech lift fab tech drop down brackets 3 inch bilstein 5100 adjustable coilover lift bilstein 28 inch shocks in the rear old man emu 885 coils toytech strut spacer 1/2 inch on the driver side and 1/4 on the pass side to level out due to the gas tank weight total chaos upper control arms (custom specs just for my lift) performance accessories 3 inch body lift pro comp limit strap k&n intake throttle body spacer aftertmarket head lights and tail lights (forgot brand) borla cat back
    can you ask him what all he had done to the truck and post it for me so i can know or private message me everything .. id like to know so i dont buy something that has already been done to it lol .. everything is great on the truck runs drives awesome no bounce either smooth ride but right now since the tie-rod is screwed on more than it should it has a little bump to the ride .. i love the truck .. star toyota put everything back to stock safety wise and the other redneck shit off that he had on it lol but all good

and thank you everyone else ive been finding cool stuff on here and like seeing everyones pics of there trucks

10. Jul 22, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    mynsbigrthanurs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    League City TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 38x15.5x20s
    yes they are lol

11. Jul 22, 2012 at 7:27 AM
    mynsbigrthanurs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    League City TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 38x15.5x20s
    im at work im going to run down stairs and take some more pics of the truck and take some of the tie-rod issues maybe run to oreillys and get some bulbs for my fog lights my buddy had a extra set of OEM fog lights he gave me easy install just need bulbs ... be back on in a few

12. Jul 22, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    If I recall correctly, 6" DB, 3" BL, 3" coils, bilstein struts and I think a 1" top plate spacer, 4.56 gears, I think cherry bomb exhaust, heim jointed total chaos UCAs (I bought my regular tc ucas from him when he upgraded), you can join the texas tacos fb page and try to contact him, I'll pm you his name but I haven't talked to him in a while, he moves back and fourth from Kemah to shreveport?

13. Jul 22, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    mynsbigrthanurs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    League City TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 38x15.5x20s
    also yeah it wasn't made for 4x4 but i have taken it out to down south off road park and it did fine but i didn't take it thru anything to bad either but it is a 2wd lol and i hate getting stuck so i only go if i know i can .. my girlfriend wanted the truck so it will be hers when i get me another one but 4x4 lol and I'm going to lift it the same if not higher but that will be down the road maybe in a year or so

14. Jul 22, 2012 at 7:49 AM
    mynsbigrthanurs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    League City TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 38x15.5x20s
    sweet sounds good thanks Borla exhaust is whats on there and i think everything else is right just from what ive seen

15. Jul 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Umm.....lift coils, AND spacers??

16. Jul 22, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    RE camaro: 650hp? Is that to the rear? 572 bb? What kind of tranny is on that? Would LOVE to see the dyno on that bad boy.

17. Jul 22, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    mynsbigrthanurs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    League City TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 38x15.5x20s
    yeah what he did was added a few diff lift kits together im guessing lol not sure but i do have the biggest tacoma in the area i havent seen anyone even close to my size lol

18. Jul 22, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    superswamper003

superswamper003 Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hendrik
    N. Snottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    1998 4wd TRD 3.4l Tacoma Xcab 313k miles!!!
    Fox Xtended travel coilovers w/resis, AllPro UCA's, AllPro 3 inch leaflets, 1" Diff Drop, 285/75/16 Bfg KO, 16x8 Black Pro Comp Steelies, AP 1.25" wheel spacers in front, 8 inch Rockford Fosgate sub that bumps like your mother, old school deck, downey headers, cold air intake, grey wire mod, e-locker, hurst shift knob, LED Strips, USMC Decals FTMFW, Fox decal, Billet grille, Alarm with no remote, Straight piped to the side of the truck
    She must bounce when you go over speed bumps huh? lol

19. Jul 22, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I'd almost think you might need to get custom for that much lift with the tie rods or at least piece something together. Maybe see if you can find inner tie rods from a tundra or something that may be longer but still have the proper threads and size. Just taking a stab in the dark but you see my point I think.

Or maybe different outers with a proper thread and maybe have your spindles machined or the tie rod ends machined or some sort of cone adapter?

Or maybe the allpro HD kit?

Uncharted waters methinks?

20. Jul 22, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    mynsbigrthanurs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    League City TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 38x15.5x20s
    4.56 gears also and fast as hell too

no bounce smooth ride but if you hit a crack or hole in the road you do feel it but not bad at all

Products Discussed in

To Top