1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELLP!! PLEASE!!! can you help me diagnose this problem!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by trtripoli, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    trtripoli

trtripoli [OP] lower management

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 4,0 L, 6M, Dbl Cab, TRD Off Road
    Eclipse AVN6620 JL 500/1 amp JL 13TW5 sub JL 300/4 JL XR-650CSi Mr Marv Box Blu tooth XM radio Back Up camera, RAAMmat and Ensolite everywhere but ceiling
    So this isn't the first time this had happened. I'm having issues starting my truck. I was able to eventually get it started before by push starting it, but that isn't working right now.

Some background. truck got broken into last year. had an alarm and new stereo installed. Now I'm getting this clicking noise, like the starter is going but isn't engaging.

Any suggestions.. PLEASE HELP!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-vXXSrYt84?hl=en

2. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    VooDoo

VooDoo More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Baton Rouge, LA/ Starkville, MS
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
    hmm not sure but bump for ya!

3. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'd start with getting the battery checked/try jumping it off a good battery....

4. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:12 AM
    trtripoli

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    Eclipse AVN6620 JL 500/1 amp JL 13TW5 sub JL 300/4 JL XR-650CSi Mr Marv Box Blu tooth XM radio Back Up camera, RAAMmat and Ensolite everywhere but ceiling
    I had the battery check last time and it's fine. The car lights up the radio will play. So I'm pretty sure it's not the battery, but obviously couldn't hurt at this point.

5. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    bwood_usmc

bwood_usmc Wiskey Tango Foxtrot....

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Clayton Ga / Clemson SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Off Road package
    3" Trux Lift, 285-75-R16 BFG All Terrains, K&N Cold Air Intake
    I would start my checking you connections between the starter and the battery.... take in by an auto parts store and get em to check your battery... it may not have enough startin amps.... or the starter may be on its way out the door.... Im no mechanic but those would be my first steps

6. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    spamy

spamy Truck guy

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Still operating on the stock battery? They only last 5 years or so. Maybe your battery just isnt holding a good charge any longer.

Also, either Im really tired this morning or you have some crazy wording that confuses the hell out of me.

"but that isn't work at all this time."

Huh?

7. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    delrayrasta

delrayrasta Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Delray Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 4X4 TRD OFF ROAD
    pro comp stage II lift kit, retro projection HID headlight and fog, bullbar, bed cover and afe S dry intake.
    i used to get a sound like that out of my 01 mustang. i think it was a bad alternator or maybe it could be something completely different. check the spark plugs too maybe you flooded the engine and they need some washing/drying.

8. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    trtripoli

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    I suppose that could be it.

sorry for the bad wording in a bit of a panic this morning...

9. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    TacoMatt02

TacoMatt02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    02 sr5 double cab
    it's the starter, same thing happened to me

10. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    trtripoli

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    Shouldn't the truck at least show signs of it wanting to start when I try and push start it? The engine doesn't sounds like it has any desire to turnover.

11. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    sounds like you need a new starter. IF it clicks, try hitting it with a broom handle. If it starts after that its usually a bad spot on the brushes...meaning you need a new starter. How many miles on the truck?

12. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That is the clicking sound- It's the solenoid trying to engage the gears. Weak battery will not provide enuf cranking amps to get the gears to move. A stuck starter won't move to turn the gears.

13. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    trtripoli

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    just under 60k. I'll see if it helps to hit it with a broom handle.. thanks for the advice!!

14. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    mike686

mike686 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Waldorf
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    See Build Thread
    Maybe a continuous duty solenoid I had this happen on my lawn mower

15. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    monkey wrench

monkey wrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    somerset, ca
    Vehicle:
    stock 4x4
    new stereo, rear leaf tsb, front 5100s @ .75. weather tecs and wet okoles.
    if it's the starter or starter solenoid try tapping it with a hammer.

like a previous reply said, check the battery connections, the bat itself and the positive power lead going to the starter. the radio doesn't need anywhere near the power the starter does. so it can still work when the starter won't.

16. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    taco4x4

taco4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4 door trd off road
    3 inch Tuff Country Suspension lift, Removed the Mudflaps, Tinted windows, Nitto Trail Grapplers with 18x9 XD Monsters debadged and aftermarket grill. Fog light anytime mod. Hids in fogs and headlights and all led lights. Flowmaster 40 series. Bed pocket lights mod.. TRD Seat covers, Aries Bull Bar Plasti-Dipped Black with 2 Hella 700 converted HID.
    I had this same problem on my 1st generation Yota and I discovered that the ring on the cable that goes over the battery post had actually broke and it wasnt getting a good connection.. I went to the auto parts store and bought new terminal ends and it fixed my problem. This may not be your issue but its worth checking.. Good Luck..

17. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    RedTaco2134

RedTaco2134 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Portland, Or
    Vehicle:
    08 Long Bed TRD Sport
    295/70/17 Cooper STT Pro, Revtek 3" lift. TSB rear and Blistein 5100's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3097063
    Try hitting it with a descent size hammer. Although that sounds particularly like the Battery being dead and not much like the Bendix drive sticking? You should be able to push start it, just make sure the "clutch cancel" button is on. It could simply be due to poor connections and/or loose battery cables. take a wire brush to the battery terminals and tighten everything up.

18. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    trtripoli

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    I got the truck running. I unplugged the headunit from the truck so it couldn't drain anymore power. After letting it sit for about 30 mins, I went back out and it started up. Sounded like it barely had enough power but it started. So I beleive it's probably the battery or alternator.

How come the clutch cancel button needs to be on to push start it?

Any suggestions on what I should do next? I'm thinking replacing the battery is number one. and checking the wiring on the stereo is two. If it happens again, I'm going to assume I neeed a new alternator.

Thanks everyone for the help this morning!!!

-Ted

19. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Did this start right after the alarm install? You might try bypassing the alarm and see if this helps.

20. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    kws129

kws129 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road Double Cab
    It sounds like you have a parasitic drain (short) somewhere in your electrical system. At first I was thinking poor connection at the battery, like you need to clean the battery terminals. But after you mentioned it not starting after sitting and starting after unplugging the head unit. I've had to chase this kind of problem down before and it's no picnic. One other thing you might check is the engine to chassis ground as that will sometimes cause an amperage drop when you engage the starter.

Products Discussed in

To Top