1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help 2007 Tacoma will not start

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ricerun02, Apr 28, 2007.

1. May 18, 2007 at 9:00 AM
    flyman767

flyman767 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have you reached your 4th service call. I would certainly think this would fit the bill for Kentucky's 'lemon law'. Trained or not...intermittent problems are extremely tough at times to isolate. However, you should not have to go through this process as this is why the 'lemon law' was established in the first place.

2. May 19, 2007 at 4:03 AM
    Ricerun02

Ricerun02 [OP] Member

Member:
    Things reached a fevered pitch yesterday. Truck would not start again. Using the trick they showed me, was able to get her started and to the dealership.

While driving, two additional problems arose. The engine began making a loud ticking sound...like a stuck valve; and the turnsignal would not turn off. On top of all this, there are now three deep scratches on the dash from the guys working on it. My first question to the service dept was how much more damage were they going to do with this new attempt at fixing the truck.

At 9am, I had the service representative telling me they could not get the regional service rep there until Wed and Toyota would not authorize a rental for me to travel out of state. I stood there in complete amazement. No rental, no loaner car, no vehicle replacement and they cannot fix the one they sold me. I made the guy repeat it to me three times because I could not believe I understood him correctly.

Fine, I called the local news station. They had a camera crew in a truck in 10 minutes. For anyone in the KY-IN area, I cannot sing the praises of Charla Young, WAVE-3 Troubleshooter loud enough. After me calling everyone in the Toyota food chain for 4 hours, it only took her 10 minutes to get me a rental.

Now Toyota is talking about trying to replace the main wiring harness and then starting to figure out why the engine is making the ticking noise. And what kills me, there is another truck on their lot, $2k more that would solve all these issues. I told the dealer to do all the work they wanted to, but I refuse to accept delivery on this specific truck. I have already called my bank and made them aware of this situation.

In regards to lemon laws, this is their third attempt to fix the same problem, there have been two major problems identified and I have lost use of the vehicle for 13 days already...and the regional service tech has not even looked at it yet. All three of these criteria are just short of the KY lemon law requirements.

All in all, I have been supremely disappointed in Toyota's customer service at all levels. The dealership tells me in 26 years, they have never had anything like this happen. I acknowledged that, but the test is how people react when things go bad. Despite all this, I have yet to become an "demanding jerk". What kills me, all Toyota has to do is give me a new truck and I would be a happy customer. Now they want legal action, which is my only choice at this point, and that will end up costing them three times the price of a new truck in a heart beat.

If anyone out there has any advice or a new direction to try, please share. Toyota has left me with no option other than arbitration, which the local news station is encouraging me to do and has offered their legal resources.

3. May 19, 2007 at 6:15 AM
    sak3358

sak3358 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Go down the path of the services offered by the TV station. If the dealer is not willing to provide a replacement, then you must stand your ground. Your actions will serve as a standard for others to follow.

Its regretful to hear about what you've through. I don't believe I would have been as patient.

4. May 19, 2007 at 7:33 AM
    evolution6972

evolution6972 Well-Known Member

Member:
    not that it would make a huge diferance but i found a customer help line 1-800-331-4331 cause toyota had my truck for 5 weeks now and this guy found my part and i know when its coming in i know this is not your problem but they might have some help or atleast put you on file wich would help your case

5. May 21, 2007 at 6:07 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    This is absolutey absurd. I definately think you should go to court and tell the news station you want this to be as public as possible. This dealership is not going to care about the wasted money of a court battle but they will definately care if the local newstation bashes them repeatedly for not keeping customers happy.... especially a military man. Defintately keep us updated, i'm dying to see how this turns out.

6. May 21, 2007 at 6:10 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I agree. If you can afford to take this to court, do it! You have been treated horribly, and undeservingly so!

7. May 21, 2007 at 6:26 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    007, from what i understand he will not be paying for the court services. Correct me if i'm wrong but it sounded like the news station offered their legal resources. The bottom line is this... if you sell a product, it has to function the way it is suppose to. Whether it's a $50 dvd player or a $20,000 truck. Even if the station doesn't pay for the court costs i would fight this. You kept up you're end of the agreement, you paid for the truck, now it's time for them to keep up theres. This isn't happening to me and it's not even my truck and i am PISSED! If there is anything i can do i'd be happy to help out. Maybe if everone on the forum came together and did something......

8. May 21, 2007 at 6:30 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Do I hear a suggestion?

9. May 21, 2007 at 6:46 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I dunno, i was hoping others would come up with some suggestions. The thought of a mass email crossed my mind either to the dealer or corporate. Maybe if we have any computer geeks on the forum we can start a website that rates dealerships based on Tacoma Worlds members feedback and provide a link on this site. I really don't know, those are just suggestions but i don't know if any of them would hold water. how bout this.... i'll start a thread asking for suggestions on how to help ricerunner and we can brainstorm on a way to help out our fellow member.

10. May 21, 2007 at 7:20 AM
    flyman767

flyman767 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I believe the OP handle the situation with much restraint...certainly more than I probably could have. However, there is a 'lemon law' in the state of Kentucky and the OP has documented everything to date...unfortunately;it has to play out. What I do know for sure... this is an example of exceptionally bad service from a dealership who can at least offered the OP a rental until they knew for a fact that they had the problem fixed.

11. May 21, 2007 at 7:29 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I don't know what I can do to help, but I will do what I can to help. Ricerun02 - you have our support!

12. May 21, 2007 at 9:23 PM
    billbob

billbob Member

Member:
    hello, new here. what's a tsb? and as far as extended crank...my '07 tacoma on three occasions has not started immediately, just cranked and cranked. and when i shut the ignition off and tried again all three times it stared right up. is this the extended crank issue? something i should worry about?

it has been suggested to me that perhaps, for whatever reason, on those occasions i needed to leave the ignition on for a few seconds to let the fuel pump run and pressurize the line before it would be able to start. thanks.

as for ricerun02...i'm really sorry about your ordeal. you've put a lot of energy into this. perhaps something a bit passive aggressive could be done: all tacomaworld members in the region can drive thier trucks to this dealership some saturday and clog up their lot, maybe. some kind of protest parade. i don't know if that's illegal or not, though. if it happened i wish i could be there.

13. May 22, 2007 at 4:53 PM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2017 Tacoma TRD Rims, ARE Series II Lid,
    Ricerun02 this Toyota dealer owes you a new truck or refund, that's the bottom line. On the 1st generation taco's there is a TSB on hard or intermitting starting. It turned out to be a bad ground, they have issued new harness to fix the problem, but it only was covered for 3yrs or 36,000 miles.

Take them to court! you just spent a load of money on this "NEW" truck. court does not cost that much, it's a little time and some money to file.

GOOD LUCK!

14. May 23, 2007 at 6:42 PM
    flavalk

flavalk 2-Broke 2-Care

Member:
    Orlando, Florida via Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab 2WD - Short Bed - Automatic- Silver Mica
    Not much. Toyota bed mat, Toyota step bars, tinted windows, Toyota seat covers, Toyota all-weather mats, quart of Wild Turkey in the glove box, KelTec PT3AT in the center console, backseat full of old speeding tickets
    two words: Lemon Law, Demand a new vehicle

15. May 24, 2007 at 8:00 AM
    SPOWERS07

SPOWERS07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB 4x4 off-road
    i cant believe this im speechless i dont know what to say about this but i will tell you this its BULLSHIT!!! deffintely demand a new vehicle

16. May 24, 2007 at 9:15 AM
    nyteflyer222

nyteflyer222 New Member

Member:
    Just a thought..it could be as simple as the chip in your key. I'm at work w/o access to my manual now. Read your manual regarding the ignition key. I believe it said you can damage the key and cause starting as well as continued running problems if you twisat the black part, 0or possibly if it is next to a magnetic source such as a money clip. just an idea. Agreed, the dealer is the easiest way. Good luck.

17. May 24, 2007 at 9:40 AM
    Ricerun02

Ricerun02 [OP] Member

Member:
    An update on the current affairs...

I arrived in PA with my rental saturday night. The dealership called yesterday and told me they had successfuly repaired the vehicle. The Regional Service Tech had seen the truck. When asked what was wrong with it, I was told they needed to reprogram the ECU. I told the guy that had been done three times before. Well, he replied, the vehicle has been starting reliably all afternoon, so it must be fixed. I hated to burst his bubble, but the problem was with the ECU storing the codes for an extended period, for example, over night.

Before he began making shipping arrangements, I asked that they hold the vehicle over night and confirm the "repaired" status the next morning, Thursday. Well, the dealership was suposed to call me back this morning to confirm a shipping location and rental return deal. As of 1230, i have not had a phone call. So, I am wondering if she is not starting again.

Either way, I would like to thank everyone on this site for their support and suggestions. If this repair effort fails, I will be well within the KY lemon laws, so the next course will be to demand vehicle replacement, on a legal basis.

I honestly wish I could say something good about Toyota Customer Service, but I cannot. I still have never received a follow-up call from the Case Manager at Toyota Corps. I am severly disappointed with the fact no one on the Toyota side accepted accountability for this vehicle and this entire oreal has been a game of "who's problem is this."

Hopefully in the very near furture I will be able to post a "finally resolved" message.

PS - If this attempt fails, I will post the email addresses of the Service Manager, the Dealership General Manager and let the flood gates open. :)

18. May 24, 2007 at 10:40 AM
    Lee's06Taco

Lee's06Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4
    Ricer, just takem to court or demand for a new truck. That's the best thing. I'm sure you would not want that truck anymore after all that problems. You never know when that same issue will arise again. If you takem to court and win your case, which I'm sure you will, you can have the dearlership pay for all your court costs.

19. May 24, 2007 at 11:32 AM
    GT88

GT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Unfortunately Toyota prefers to be brought through the legal system then work one on one with a customer and make them happy. Toyota can kiss my ass as far as we are concerned. Win, lose, or end of lease they are getting the piece of shit back. Now we won't even settle for a replacement, why be associated with such a company?
    Bring you pride and money elsewhere, I am.

20. May 25, 2007 at 4:23 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now

Products Discussed in

To Top