1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help!!! alignment complications

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pinchetaco, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Apr 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    is that a new rack??

2. Apr 8, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    Your tie rods are installed upside down. You should have the bolt facing upwards.

lo2hi likes this.
  3. Apr 8, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Oh snap how did I miss that?! Kudos on a great catch!

4. Apr 8, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    all.on.black

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    ^ As long as your truck has been on jack stands I'm surprised anything gets by you. You should know the truck inside out.

If you flip the tire rods you'll have more adjustment at each tire rod. You'll gain about an inch of adjustment.

5. Apr 8, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Ahaha damn good catch. Yup that's a problem.... unfortunately also an indication that you might have had a 6" lift on there at some point. is your rear cross member hacked up and welded back together?

Edit: he has a 6" lift.... this is how it is supposed to be with a 6" lift.... :)

6. Apr 8, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    :eek:

I was wondering about that. I forgot that the DB lifts provide new spindles.

7. Apr 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Yeah I remember when i did Solus' RCD we had to flip the tie rod ends over and I'm sure the procomp is the same way. no doubt this is a function of the procomp lift. seems his only option is to leave as is and simply correct his steering wheel by either removing it or disconnecting at the rack.

8. Apr 8, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    all.on.black

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    Well that changes everything.

It looks like you need to tighten up the driver's side and that'll give a little play to the passenger's side. Then you'll have to either remove the steering wheel and recenter it or disconnect it from the rack.

9. Apr 8, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    pinchetaco

pinchetaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco 6 inch ProComp Lift 35's
    6 inch ProComp Lift, 35s, ProComp Wheels, 4.88 gears, Debadged, BHLM, Dome Light Mod, Trailer Plug Relocated
    Is this a common thing with 6" lifts? I haven't had issues like this before with alignments... I would expect to have more issues with caster and camber not the damn toe...

10. Feb 1, 2016 at 11:02 AM
    Cowboyz

Cowboyz Membor

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Southern Utah/Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD Sport
    6in Pro Comp stage 2 lift, 2.75in ProComp Coilovers, Rear MX6 adjustable shocks, 35in Nittro Trail Grapplers, 17 in XD Spys, URD intake, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster 40 Series, AMP Power steps, debadged, blacked out tail lights, Blacked out headlights w/ Mini H1 Retros and halos, JVC KW-AVX840 7" Double-Din, Viper 5704 2way alarm/remote start, LEDs in Dome, Maps, and license plate lights, short black antenna, 5% Tint, removed sway bar
    Im bringing back to life this really old thread cuz im having the exact same issue with my truck that has a pro comp 6 in lift. The toe doesnt have enough thread to correctly adjust the toe. I got hit slightly on the front passenger side tire by another vehicle and that put my steering wheel almost identical to the pics on page 1. Took it to get aligned and they cant put the steering wheel straight and get the toe right due to there not being enough thread on the tie rods. What are my options?

11. Feb 1, 2016 at 11:16 AM
    Cowboyz

Cowboyz Membor

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Southern Utah/Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD Sport
    6in Pro Comp stage 2 lift, 2.75in ProComp Coilovers, Rear MX6 adjustable shocks, 35in Nittro Trail Grapplers, 17 in XD Spys, URD intake, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster 40 Series, AMP Power steps, debadged, blacked out tail lights, Blacked out headlights w/ Mini H1 Retros and halos, JVC KW-AVX840 7" Double-Din, Viper 5704 2way alarm/remote start, LEDs in Dome, Maps, and license plate lights, short black antenna, 5% Tint, removed sway bar
    I just dont want to buy new tie rods or tie rod ends if I do not have to. I had NO alignment issues before I got hit and the steering wheel went completely sideways. Even after I got hit the truck drove completely straight, it just had the steering wheel over around 10pm

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  12. Feb 1, 2016 at 11:27 AM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    Something could be bent. You got hit hard enough to screw up your alignment and steering wheel position.

13. Feb 1, 2016 at 12:04 PM
    Cowboyz

Cowboyz Membor

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Southern Utah/Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD Sport
    The truck still drove straight after I was hit. The steering wheel was just sideways. Now they put the steering wheel back straight (which turned the tires right) and tried to bring the toe back in (to the left) and they ran out of thread on the tie rod.

14. Feb 1, 2016 at 12:06 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    Maybe it's just the steering linkage that needs adjusted.

15. Feb 1, 2016 at 12:08 PM
    Cowboyz

Cowboyz Membor

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Southern Utah/Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD Sport
    So how much work is it to change the steering linkage? Is that what probably got messed up when I got hit? With the truck still driving straight but having steering wheel at 10PM?

16. Feb 1, 2016 at 12:24 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    One bolt holds the linkage to the rack. If you unbolt it, pull it off and turn the wheel straight(or closer to it) that might fix your problem.

17. Feb 1, 2016 at 12:35 PM
    Cowboyz

Cowboyz Membor

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Southern Utah/Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD Sport
    but the problem is they already turned the steering wheel straight and pulled the toe way in. If you look at the pics on the prior page you can see the front right passenger toe is all the way maxed IN and has no more threads. Will pulling the steering wheel to the right let me take some of that toe out?

I just find it weird none of the techs that said they can't align my truck would have suggested this. I have had my truck on the alignment rack for like 4 hours in 3 different shops the past couple days and no one can figure out why I dont have enough toe to align this truck.

This is just really frustrating because the truck alligned perfectly before I had that person hit me. Even after they hit me it drove straight, and now they can't even get it to do that.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  18. Feb 1, 2016 at 6:44 PM
    Cowboyz

Cowboyz Membor

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Southern Utah/Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD Sport
    Anyone else got some input? I just don't know

19. Feb 1, 2016 at 6:58 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    Where have you been going to get the alignment done? An off road shop or place that specializes in alignments will give better results than firestone or pep boys

20. Feb 1, 2016 at 7:21 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    you got hit by someone.

did you get their information. Cus something is bent. 6inch pro comp lift.... anyone wanna bet frame damage with the lovely drop bracket lift? Or spindle is bent.

ill put 10 on the spindle and 5 bucks on the frame being bent.

Products Discussed in

To Top