1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help becoming a hello pilot

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by noah farley, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Aug 24, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Copied from the Midwest site....

Two Alternative Routes to Go: Military or Civilian

In general, there are two routes to go: the military route or the civilian route. If your goal is to become a career military helicopter pilot, your first step is to visit with recruiters for the Armed Forces to explore the opportunities available at this time. The Services have restrictive educational, age, height, eyesight, and physical requirements that often do not apply to civilian helicopter pilots.

Military training is excellent, but getting into one of the military's flight training programs is not easy, simply because there are a lot of applicants competing for a small number of flight training slots. Many of the Armed Forces require you to have a 4-year college degree to be admitted to flight training. In any case, some people have found that earning a civilian helicopter pilot rating FIRST is often a major advantage in being accepted into a military flight school, as long as they can meet the other requirements. It certainly puts one way ahead of those aspirants with NO flight training. But check with the recruiters about this route. Policies and rules for admission change constantly. Of course, there is no free lunch. In exchange for your training, all of the Armed Services will require a commitment on your part to serve for some number of years after you complete their flight training programs, even if you don't intend to make the military your lifetime career.

For most, civilian helicopter pilot training is the fastest and most logical option, but not the least expensive. In the United States, there are many excellent helicopter schools like Midwest Helicopter. In order to become a professional pilot, you must first earn your Rotorcraft-Helicopter Private Pilot Rating (or license) and then your Commercial Pilot Rating. (Please carefully study this Website at for the minimum requirements and costs to obtain those ratings). If you start helicopter pilot training "from scratch", you need a minimum of 150 hours of helicopter flying time and you will invest about $40,000 to $45,000 in your education and training for that Commercial license. (For just about the same investment and in the same 150-180 hours of training, you can also earn your Certified Flight Instructor (CFI) Rating, which we strongly recommend that you do). If you also earn your Instrument and Instrument Instructor (CFII) ratings, you will spend in the neighborhood of $55,000-$60,000 for all those ratings.

See the link on our home page on "Training Programs and Rates." Midwest Helicopter offers a "Professional Pilot Program" for those seeking all the ratings we recommend to be the most employable you can be. (See more information under our 'Training' page on our site.

2. Aug 24, 2014 at 8:21 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    I know a few of these guys and am around the evac helicopters quite a bit. Everyone of them around here is prior military. They get ungodly amounts of hours flying in the military and beat out everyone else that applies with their hours. In fact I don't think I've ever met one for Air Evac, Air Methods or any of the other services they have absorbed around here that isn't prior military.

3. Aug 24, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Does that include turbine too Mike?

4. Aug 24, 2014 at 8:26 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Dreams don't materialize without sacrifice. You can bust your ass for Uncle Sam and earn a GI Bill or you can bust your ass in the civilian world and pay your own way through flight school.

5. Aug 24, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    noah farley

noah farley [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    noah farley
    cookeville tennesse
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    it has a k&N airtake system that came on it when I bought It
    Ok so they have training for 60'000 plus financial . These guy I am talking to is want 70 plus and don't have that kinda of financial help . Thanks again for the info . I to know a few pilots there is one that isn't military so I am shooting for no army
    And just financing it

6. Aug 24, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Have fun

7. Aug 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Go Pokes!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB OR 4x4
    Clazzio leather seat covers, CBI T3 front, SOS sliders, SCS Ray10s, 285/75/16 Duratracs, debadged, extra bed D-ring tiedowns, Advantage TorzaTop, OEM bed mat, custom center console organizer, Husky liners, remote start.
    One of the 4 Air Evac pilots at my airport came from a civilian background. It is pretty rare from what I understand.

8. Aug 24, 2014 at 8:36 PM
    noah farley

Member:
    First Name:
    noah farley
    cookeville tennesse
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    Yea I know it's rare but I just want to fly to be honest . Just to make good money doing it . If they won't accept me at evac I will just offer my
    Flying abilities to some other group .

9. Aug 24, 2014 at 8:38 PM
    noah farley

Member:
    First Name:
    noah farley
    cookeville tennesse
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    I have thought about the oil rigs I have friends in there and it takes 1 year and your making 100'000 so I thought about that

10. Aug 24, 2014 at 8:43 PM
    File IFR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    The R44 and the Ravens are piston helis, their Eurocopters are turbines at $950 per hour.

I'm guessing a big no for the inclusion of a turbine for thier prices.

OP, either way you slice it, military or civilian, it's no cake walk. This career step requires 100% devotion and commitment. If you give up part way through, you don't get the money back you spent.

If you're smart, healthy and not colorblind, go military and let Uncle Sam pay your way.

11. Aug 24, 2014 at 8:45 PM
    noah farley

Member:
    First Name:
    noah farley
    cookeville tennesse
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    It may come out I have to go military .

12. Aug 24, 2014 at 8:50 PM
    File IFR

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    There's a waiting list a mile long for commercial heli jobs.

If you just want to fly (for personal pleasure), earn a basic private rotary cert. and enjoy the weekend flying helis.... you'll save tens of thousands of dollars and still have fun. ;)

13. Aug 24, 2014 at 8:56 PM
    noah farley

Member:
    First Name:
    noah farley
    cookeville tennesse
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    Do you fly a lot for a company Or pleasure

14. Aug 25, 2014 at 12:00 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    The best option I can tell you is join the military.

15. Aug 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM
    Ben550

Ben550 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OFF ROAD
    I would stay away from the services unless you like having someone mandate what clothes you wear, how you cut your hair, inspecting your car for safety issues every weekend, moving every few years to places you dont get to pick, etc...

There are ways to become a pilot. I know several guys who started with their private pilots license and became commercial airline pilots without joining the service. it required a lot of work and money but they paid their own way one certification at a time.

Go for it but be careful running to the services as a cheap way to get where you want to go. They will take back their investment plus interest...

if you absolutely must join the service to get the license, go into the air force. They have the highest quality of life out of all of them....

16. Aug 25, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    TheGreatPear

TheGreatPear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Gunsan, South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 V6 6 Speed
    Army warrant officer. I'm Airforce and that's what I want to switch over to. In the Air Force I'm a damn plumber.

Btw the Air Force has very few rotary wing pilots, and competition is tough from what I understand.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  17. Aug 25, 2014 at 12:20 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Speaking of.... You going to sign up?

18. Aug 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM
    Maksimus54

Maksimus54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 TRD OR
    Join the service. I have a friend that payed to become a helo pilot. He makes $12 an hour doing tours when he can. He simply couldn't/can't afford to fly the number of hours it takes to get a good job doing it.

Army/Navy/Airforce will pay for your education and more importantly pay for the hours necessary to get a good job flying helo's.

19. Aug 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Bad experience huh?

The Military is a hustle, either you get hustled or you control the hustle. Either way the Military will get theirs from you so you better get yours. If you don't, your fault.

Don't pick stupid jobs.

20. Aug 25, 2014 at 1:00 PM
    NoH8Da808

NoH8Da808 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kalani
    Kauai, HI
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    TRD CAI, 6" ProComp Stage 2, 18x10 Moto Metal 962 Black, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Jungle Fender Flares, RokBlokz Mudflaps, Wet Okoles, Ultragauge, Huskyliners, Light Racing UCA
    My brother is a heli pilot here on Kauai, Hi. He flys tours here, with the most beautiful scenery in the world-Napali Coast, Mt. Waialeale, etc. He makes very good money. This is where he started, check it out-Mauna Loa helicopters.com

To Top