1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help - Changing Trans gear oil

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by txcustoms, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Feb 19, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    txcustoms

txcustoms [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab
    I need to change manual trans, gear oil.
    The lube bottle is too big/cumbersome to use to squirt the oil in the trans.

Anyone have an easier way to do this?

would you use an oil school oil can?

Thanks.

2. Feb 19, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    you can use a hand pump like the one below. your local auto parts store should have one.

[​IMG]

3. Feb 20, 2011 at 5:10 AM
    txcustoms

txcustoms [OP] Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab
    I will definitely look for one.

Thanks a bunch.

4. Feb 20, 2011 at 5:29 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    I used this, but that hand pump might be easier.
    [​IMG]

5. Feb 20, 2011 at 5:32 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Gear oil pump is the way to go!!

6. Feb 20, 2011 at 5:37 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    The FLAP (friendly local auto parts store) has gear oil pumps, from the size that fits into a quart or gallon jug, to the 55 gallon drum size. I like the pumps that replace the lid of a five gallon bucket...once you start changing all the gear oils of a decent size 4x4, you can use most of a five gallon bucket.

Howard

7. Feb 20, 2011 at 5:37 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
  8. Feb 20, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    If I was you I would never post a picture or even admit you use any type of Amsoil product, you're going to piss off a lot of people.
    (past experience)

BTW: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER tell any Toyota Dealer, or the people in the Service Dept that you use Amsoil, they will hate you with a passion and make your life a miserable hell and maybe void your warranty! (if you use an Amsoil Oil Filter, take CRC Brake Cleaner and it will remove the silkscreen print of the filter and they won't know its an Amsoil Filter)
    (past experience)

9. Feb 20, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    can you get the oil in from the shift stick side? I mean, if you happened to have that out.

10. Feb 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM
    BlazeTaco

BlazeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    4.0l 6sp SR5
    TRD Exhaust TRD Filter
    What is that all about, I know there was an issue with the EAO filter but not the oil.

11. Feb 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    They can't just carte blanche void your warranty. But I would say that using Amsoil filters with Toyota/Lexus products is asking for some heartburn...Both companies recommend against it IRT to the EA filters.

To Top