1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help. charcoal cannister replacement .

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sillyboy, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Oct 12, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    sillyboy

sillyboy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma 4x4 trd
    a few dents
    Anyways, I have an 05 tacoma 4x4 with offroad package. i need to replace the very expensive charcoal filter. looks like a real pain in the ass and the dealer told me that they have had to pull the beds of some trucks to do it. and they do alot of them. i can barely afford the cannister so i'm gonna have to try it myself. the light has been on for about 50,000 miles and has now officially become annoying.LOL. has anybody done this before that has any tips or is there any other alternative where i could bypass this item entirely. i could almost by a whole new exhaust for the cost of this plastic can full of gack! any and all help would be greatly appreciated. i have searched forums and found only one thread in 1st generation taco's that made it sound way to easy. this thing is to the pasenger side and above the gas tank. it's actually pretty big. thanks.

2. Oct 12, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5, AC/LB, 4x2, V6, Auto, w/Tow, SiriusXM, Stock
    UnderCover SE, Bed Mat, Tint, Weather Techs & DashGoPro

If your "light" code has been on for 50,000 miles as your said ... was the canister ever covered under warranty ?

My dash light (code for canister) came on an about 7,500 miles and I took the truck in and the dealer replaced it at no cost.

Good luck ...

SOS

3. Oct 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
To Top