1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help cleaning up my "new" 2011

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Meadow2019, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Jul 16, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    Meadow2019

Meadow2019 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Tacoma 4x4
    Hi all. I just got my 2011 a couple of weeks ago and I want to do my best to keep it in the best shape possible. The previous owner added some aftermarket stuff and I'd like to ask your opinions on the best way to clean them up and maintain them. (You don't have to tell me if you hate the additions;))

I'm particularly interested in getting the wheels, the skid plate, and the running boards cleaned up and shining. What would you recommend to clean these and keep them looking their best? I'm OK with spending a little bit more to get a better product if it does the job well and lasts. I noticed the beginnings of small rust marks at the front of one of the running boards (in the chrome). Is there anything that can be done to fix that easily?

Thanks for any tips!

taco71620.jpg chrome.jpg

2. Jul 16, 2020 at 11:06 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    I would do a test on the bottom with Bar Keeper's Friend to see if it left any marring. You want it to apply with no extra abrasion like a scrub sponge so use a soft cloth or microfiber and rub. The powder form is better because you can mix your own dilution with it. Obviously this won't play well with the chrome painted plastics but should leave metal surfaces shiny. Great product for around the house otherwise, no better way to clean up stainless steel pans, sinks and other metal or bathroom surfaces. There are similar products like this with no where near the effectiveness.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bar-Keepers-Friend-21-oz-All-Purpose-Cleanser-and-Polish-11514/305034131

Meadow2019[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 16, 2020 at 4:17 PM
    Meadow2019

Meadow2019 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks for the idea! I used to sell a lot of "collectible" stuff on eBay years ago and BKF was a favorite tool of mine for getting things looking good. It completely slipped my mind. I'll have to pick some up again.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top