1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP! Clicking noise under the dash.....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by csmobley, Feb 15, 2011.

1. csmobley

csmobley [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Hey all, new to the forum, i just bought a 2011 taco double cab 4x4 and i haven't even hit 500 miles yet and the other day i was leaving the store and i was on a steep incline in the parking lot and when i took my foot off the brake and the truck rolled back a bit, and i gave it gas to move forward, made this clunk and started a clicking sound in the driver side which sounds like it is coming from under the dash. It only does it when the truck rolls back a bit and then i start to move forward. On level ground taking off, everything is normal.

Anyone else ever had this happen? Its driving me crazy and i haven't had a chance to get to the dealer yet. It almost sounds like a relay clicking under the dash.

2. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Do you have the TRD offroad package?

3. csmobley

Member:
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    yes it is the TRD Off Road Package, sorry forgot to mention that.

4. rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    welcome to TW!!!!
    what model you got?

5. rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    may be the traction control.....
    these new vehicles and all their "safety enhancements" drive me crazy too. but the payout is well worth it.

6. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Your truck has HAC. HAC holds the truck in place when you are on a steep hill so you don't roll back. This is in the manual. You should also hear a beeping when it does it.

7. csmobley

Member:
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the welcome! I love it, and the traction control is on, I haven't turned it off yet.

8. rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:

yet another feature^. these things just keep getting better.:D I actually forgot about the HAC.....i live in flat florida:(
    this is probably what your hearing...

9. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Find a Ranger to park on.:D

10. csmobley

Member:
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Nice I will find one, actually a guy that I work with has one! So just to confirm....this is something that i shouldn't worry about? If it is hill assist, then should it actually roll back?

11. rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    park ranger or ford ranger? i wont park on a park ranger as i like them too much......if i'm gonna park on a ford ranger, i better hurry up as this will be their last year.......:D

12. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Ford. Haha. I bet they make it a front drive like they did the Exploder.

13. rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    supposedly(from my inside sources) its going to be a mid sized truck to compete with the tacoma and dakota......

14. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    I used to be a Ranger owner. There was just as much speculation and photochops about the new Ranger as the 3rd gen Taco. I'll believe it when I see it for sale at the dealer. It would be cool to see what they can come up with though.

15. rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    couldn't agree more.....but the new f100 is supposed to be the shit(according to ford).....we shall see

16. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah and the Ecoboost F150 is supposed to get 26mpg in the F150 but it doesn't.:D

17. 05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (.85), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    I don't think what you're hearing is the HAC. In our Highlander, I have to press the brake pedal quickly and hard to the floor, then it beeps and literally locks the vehicle in place (it's a weird feeling when you let your foot off the brake and it doesn't roll one millimeter).

And since yours is rolling, that doesn't sound like HAC.

18. csmobley

Member:
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    I am going to try and turn it off tomorrow and see what happens. Hopefully it will do something so I can try and eliminate the possibilities of what it could be. if not guess will just have to take it to the dealership. Hopefully they don't try and tell me it is normal. I worked in the car business for 12 years and I know what it is doing can't be normal.

19. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    You can't turn off HAC. It is always active.

20. csmobley

Member:
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Lol yea I figured that out this morning. Also got a ticking noise in engine compartment that gets slightly louder as I accelerate I did notice the harder I accelerate, it gets a little louder, but when at idle, and I rev the engine, it doesn't make the same sound. Sorry for all the questions this is my first truck first Toyota and first 4x4. Always driven Hondas.

To Top