1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help DIY kayak rack

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sodbuster, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Sep 17, 2009 at 2:53 PM
    Sodbuster

Sodbuster [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I've built a kayak rack out of wood. It sits in the bed of the truck. I am attaching it with ratcheting tie downs from eyes to the rail sliders. In the back I could go to the bed corner loops. Which would be stronger, the corner loops or the rail sliders?

2. Sep 17, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    JTech

JTech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 Double Cab 4x4 Sr5 Off-Road
    Locking Bed Boxes, built in air compressor, Husky Liners(not really a mod but I love them)
    Corner "D" ring tie downs are much stronger. The rails can only hold 250Lbs a piece which is easy to reach when a load starts to move a little.

3. Sep 17, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    Sodbuster

Member:
    Thanks for the help. If I am hauling two sea kayaks (17.5 feet) will the front be ok attached to the rail sliders? They only weight around 39 lbs.
    Is there a way to add corner d rings to the front?

4. Sep 17, 2009 at 5:01 PM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    There is a way to add D-Rings to the bed bolts in the front of the bed. I just did this the other night. Some guys like the factory ones, others are content with those from armysurplus.com.

I used the AS ones, which required drilling out the holes to be 1/2" diameter and a little bit of grinding of thread on the bed bolts to remove the washers.

5. Sep 18, 2009 at 6:02 PM
    mdeerfield

mdeerfield Member

Member:
    Gaylord, MI
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma Long Bed TRD
    AFE Pro S, Trail FX Bed Mat, Extang Trifecta Folding Tonneau Cover Debadged. Pop N Lock and Grillcraft Grill.
    I just had this conversation @ work today. I'd like to see a picture of your rack if you get a chance. I have 2 Wilderness Systems 12' Kayak's.

6. Sep 18, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    Sodbuster

Member:
    I'll try to get a pic up by Sunday. Basically I made a box out of 2X4s that fits between the wheel wells and tight front to back. I then put four upright 2X4s on the top edge of the 2X4 box on all corners. My front two are back a bit because I have a tonneau cover rolled up at the front of the box. The uprights are sandwiched on each side with 1/2 inch plywood plates attached with glue and (4) 1/4 inch carriage bolts. I put small plywood plates on the front corners of the bottom frame for strength. Then I notched the uprights to accept 2X4 cross pieces which are 5 feet wide (not glued as I might want to have more than one kind of cross rails). These are attached with 2 1/4" carriage bolts The total height is 40 1/4 ". I have a 1/4" mat in the bed of my truck. I attached 3/8" bolt eyes on each side of the two kayak spaces front and back which are cut a bit to accept the bottom contour of our two kayaks. I then attached a 3/8" bolt eye to each of the uprights so I can use ratchet tie downs to secure it to the truck. These tie downs will pull it tight to the bed. In the back I have it attached to the corner d rings. The front is attached to the rail sliders. I haven't road tested yet. I have to get some carpet on the rails to protect the kayaks and then I'll try it out. I am nervous about the front connection with the rail sliders. I think when on the road the wind lift on the kayaks might be a lot for the sliders. The rails flex when I reef on them. I may end up adding corner d rings to the front. It bugs me that they sell the Tacoma without these. The back is rock solid.

Materials
    3 left over 2x4x7
    3 2x4x7
    left over plywood for corner plates
    4 3/8"x2" eyes
    8 3/8"x4" eyes
    16 1/4"x3 1/2" carriage bolts

To Top