1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help! Frozen bolts on hitch install

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Gumby, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Jun 17, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    Gumby

Gumby [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    :confused: I'm trying to install a class 3 Hidden Hitch on my 2004 extra cab. The instructions say to remove the frame bolts just in front of the leaf springs. It appears they are threaded into weld nuts and I can't get them to budge. The leaf springs preclude getting an impact wrench on them. I need this thing to be operable by this weekend. Any suggestions? Another hitch that would be better than the Hidden Hitch?

2. Jun 17, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    22b22

22b22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California - East Bay
    Vehicle:
    03 DoubleCab PreRunner TRD SR5
    OME 881/N91S - front Wheeler 5-pack/N85 - rear
    I just installed that same hitch on my '03 a month ago.
    1st tip - remove the spare as it will be a pain to get the new hitch in with it in place.
    2nd - pick up some PB Blaster and soak the bolts ahead of time. You have to give it some time to work its magic.

Breaking the bolts free on the 2 forward bolts was a pain. Removing the spare also makes the drivers side bolt easier to get to. The exhaust gets in the way on the passenger side, so do what you can. A long handled box wrench might be the easiest way.

Once you get the bolts out, installing the hitch is quick and easy.

3. Jun 17, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    Gumby

Gumby [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Thanks for the tips. I already had the spare out and used WD40, but I've now stripped the bolt head down pretty bad on the driver side...I used a 6 point socket on a 24" breaker bar and it spun. Not good. I think I'll give the PB Blaster a try, let it soak overnight and see if I can get it with the Craftsman nut removal tool I have. If that doesn't work I think I'll just have to return the hitch and order a Curt/DrawTite/Valley or something that doesn't use those bolts.

4. Jun 17, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    22b22

22b22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ouch. That could be tough. If the nut removal doesn't work, maybe grind opposite flats and use an open ended wrench or a pipe wrench. I have no idea what those bolts are for. I don't remember them linking anything together?

5. Jun 18, 2009 at 3:47 AM
    sriley727

sriley727 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aiken, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 Reg cab PreRunner SR5
    Bone stock
    The PB blaster should work better, WD40 just ain't what it used to be. A lot of the "good" ingredients were removed or replaced over the years to pacify the clean air hippies.

You can also try to heat the bolt with a torch. If you do get it off, I'd recommend replacing it since you've already stripped the head.

6. Jun 18, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    22b22

22b22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hidden Hitch provides new bolts for the location he is talking about, so getting the old ones out is the hard part. Good advice though.

7. Jun 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    If the bolt head is rounded off, try a pipe wrench with an extended handle...like a 2 foot pipe. If you get the right bite with the pipe wrench they can be pretty effective.

8. Jun 18, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    Gumby

Gumby [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    I'm not sure what the bolts are for either...they seem to attach the frame cross member, but it's welded so that doesn't make sense. Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll try the pipe wrench after a little grinding and see if that does it before I completely give up and get a different hitch. I'll let you know how it goes

9. Jun 19, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    Sajee

Sajee New Member

Member:
    Rochester, MN
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma TRD
    All Original

There are three bolts per side and they are used to mount the spare wheel cross member to the chassis frame. Only one needs to be removed to install the hitch. I have the same problem and I sparyed PB to threads from the opening on the side of the frame.

One of my bolts are almost rounded. I am thinking of dropping the rear leaf spring mounting and disconnect the shocks from the axel and slowly drop the whole rear end until I have space to put impact gun. Wheels will be removed and jack stands on the frame and using the jack to lower the rear end being careful about the rear brake hose. Seems like lot of work. But I don't want to spend money on buying a different hitch.

Do other brand hitches fit differently on Tacomas'?

10. Jun 19, 2009 at 8:32 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    pb blaster, and a little heat and beat.

11. Mar 6, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    jicbulk

jicbulk New Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SR5 V6 5-Spd 4x4
    285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer ATRs, K&N
    Hey Gumby - did you ever break that bolt free? I am running into the exact same problem.

12. Mar 6, 2011 at 9:07 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    my miracle worker is my MAPP torch. i PB blast it the day before..and then i get it glowing red hot. never lost a rusty fastener yet..(knocking on wood)

13. Mar 6, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    Gumby

Gumby [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    I gave up on that one and put a different hitch on...found a buyer for the old hitch so it was the low cost and low effort way to go. I've since had success with the torch method. The key seems to be to get it red hot. Good luck

14. Aug 10, 2014 at 8:06 PM
    TreeFortRichard

TreeFortRichard Barcelona Red is the best red...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    42.3115167,-71.6638516
    Vehicle:
    '23 SR5 DCSB 4x4 Barcelona Red
    I have a 2010 and I am doing a hitch install right now and WOW what a bitch the bolts are...I PB blasted them yesterday and today I fought and fought and got the right side 2 off that I have to remove and loosened the top 3 that hold the bumper. I also loosened the left side top 3 and got the top bolt removed but the bottom bolt that I have to remove is maybe 1/3 out and is just so stuck. I was moving it maybe 10 degrees one click at a time and now i just can't move it. I sprayed it down with more pb blaster tonight and I'll try again in the morning. I already stripped 1 17mm socket but the bolt is holding up...It's almost impossible to get leverage under there.

Products Discussed in

To Top