1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help getting leaf to fit..

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by bshaf, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Jun 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    bshaf

bshaf [OP] Member

Member:
    So I've been installing my new leaf set (1998 4x4).. after struggling amazingly with the nut/bolt removal (but avoiding cutting) we've got the new leafs on.. after lots of sketchy flexing we got the front and the rear bolts on.. but the middle bolt/post that aligns into the middle of the axel isn't fitting.

here you can see that it isn't centered

[​IMG]

and here you can see that the post is around an inch away

[​IMG]

before this we tried to install the back bolt first.. but the front one was a few inches away from aligning.. so we jacked up the axel pretty much as far as we could and basically straightened out the leafs completely and the front bolt was still about an inch from fitting and the middle post was still about an inch from fitting into the whole in the axel

so basically my question is do you think this will ever fit? we were thinking about doing the leafs on the other side and seeing if that helped flex the axel a little.. or if it helped make the axel a little moveable (if it could come forward just a little bit it would fit... but not sure if the drivetrain can give an inch?).. like i said we have the bolts in, its just fitting in that little post

also i should mention that i lined it up with the old leafs off the truck.. and the holes and posts all lined up so you'd think it'd fit...

2. Jun 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pull both springs from axle while axle on jacks and truck on jackstands. Move axle forward and attach to springs. Third jack for tilting angle of diff helps.

3. Jun 4, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Hahaha, yeah it'll fit, that close dude, just grab the axle & give it a little tug forward & it'll easily line up, BTW I'm not laughing at you OP just with you I remember the first time or 2 I did this, I had 4 jack stands, 2 or 3 jacks & alot of frustration, now I got it down to a science...

You dont have the springs backwards do you ? (bushing wrap goes to front)

4. Jun 4, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    Nicks4x4LT

Nicks4x4LT Official Villain

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    714 Orange county
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 V6
    Custom front bumper, Icon 2.5 ext. travel coilovers, Defined rear long travel King smooties w/ resi. Avid Offroad sliders, Fiberwerx front fenders, Glassworks Shorty TT style rear glass, URD MAF calibrator, DT shorty headers, URD TCAI, Magnaflow catback
    very good possibility, most people don't know there are a front/back side.

To Top