1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP, I clipped my Stereo/radio wire harness

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Dalehill800, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Jan 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    Dalehill800

Dalehill800 [OP] Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma Prerunner
    Bought a new in dash cd/radio and speakers for my '98 Prerunner. :rolleyes:
    My bright idea of clipping the factory wiring harness didn't work out so well.
    Everything seemed to work well when I re-wired it to the new unit, but I kept blowing the fuse to my Instrument panel lights. SO, I researched and found a wiring harness that will fix my problem, but I need to re-wire the factory harness back in to the original truck wires. I am almost done with connecting the correct color to color wires back to the original factory wiring connector except I have a White wire and a Black wire coming from the truck (in the wiring bundle) that I do not see any place to connect to or any place where I clipped them from the connector I'm wiring back in place. I remember having these wires when I clipped them & thinking that they maybe the power and ground (but found out with my ohms meter that it wasn't the case.) I believe they were connected into a couple of the othere wires but I'm not for certain or which ones.
    *Also, the white wire & black wire are just slightly larger than all the other wires. (There is a Yellow wire that is the same size wire as the white wire & black wire, but i found where it connects.)

Can someone tell me how these connect back in or give me a diagram that shows the color connection or Pictures specific to the Black wire & the White wire. I have done a lot of Googleing other site searches from TW here but I have not found any good diagrams, charts or info. Nothing shows exactly what I have or need.
    Really DUMB it up for me.:confused: THanks!

2. Jan 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    tanzak88

tanzak88 Well-Known Member

Member:
  3. Jan 12, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    Dalehill800

Dalehill800 [OP] Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma Prerunner
    Yeah Thank you.
    But I have already been to that sight & seen that one & that diagram isn't helpful to me. I think I need to see what is on the other end of the "From Power Source (see page 46)" but that also didnt help.
    I can trace the power supply from the CBraker & Ignition to the unit, but I am still at a loss on the black & white wires as I described in my initial post.

Any photos someone might have would be SUPER!! or a better diagram. Toyota doesnt seem to provide any help what-so-ever.

4. Jan 12, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    bryanc81

bryanc81 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan Cullen
    fresno CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Clifford IG 750 alarm, remote start, Pioneer Avic-Z1, cup holder LED lights.
  5. Jan 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    Dalehill800

Dalehill800 [OP] Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma Prerunner
    better, thanks!!:) I will see if I am smart enough to figure it out this time!

Taco stereo wiring.jpg

6. Jan 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    First of all.... /facepalm. As an audio professional I cannot help but feel that you deserve to be stabbed for chopping, and from the looks of your wiring remains I suggest you have someone else repair this.

Anyway, this is what I found:

Check out THIS LINK.

I'm not saying it's correct but it's a good start I guess.

98tacoma-radio.jpg

7. Jan 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    Dalehill800

Dalehill800 [OP] Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma Prerunner
    Does anyone know where I can get the wire clips that attaches to the wires that fit inside of this blue plug? (Not the yellow connectors I have showing, the silver colored clips.)
    When I pulled out the clip, on the backside of it said PED 16. I have checked at Bestbbuy, Radio Shack, WalMart, Sams, & Google and can't find the exact fit.

taci wire plug.jpg

8. Jan 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    Dalehill800

Dalehill800 [OP] Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma Prerunner
    Thanks for your vote of confidence. That did help a little.
    I have it all sorted out now except the OME does not have clips installed in one of the two harnesses needed. The new wire harness adapter made for this truck has it properly fitted to plug in, but the trucks plug for the rear speakers did not have those wires attached, they were wired separately. I would have had to do this part anyway.
    Also, there is no attachment for the illumination wire(green) to the adapter. Everything else worked out pretty well.

The thing I have learned from all this is: Education isn't cheap!

9. Jan 12, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    never clip factory wires.....

10. Jan 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    Dalehill800

Dalehill800 [OP] Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma Prerunner
    Well, honestly my 17 year old son was going to install his new stereo himself in his truck and ran into problems here. So guess who gets to fix it? Yours truely!
    I just dont bother wasting the space or time here explaining the family soap-opera. I could interchange "I" for his name, but whats the point? I'm still pissed about him cutting the wires so i try not put too much emotion into it here.
    Mostly I'm just helping him out. I DO give him the lecture he hates to hear - "You screwed the pooch this time! Dont ever F%^& clip the factory wires!" He gets the point! LOL!
    But that said, thanks to you folks helping me out here. It is much appreciated!

11. Jan 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    :rofl:

12. Jan 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    Dalehill800

Dalehill800 [OP] Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma Prerunner
    I do believe the parts I'm looking for now is the Wire Harness terminal connector pins.

13. Jan 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    Aggiesdm

Aggiesdm Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR 4X4
    SnugTop topper, WeatherTec mats, thats all for now
    Yep, thats exactly what you need. They are not generally available at retail stores. Your best bet it to contact an electronics supply house or a wire harness shop. Pull one of the terminals out (usually a little "barbed" retainer) so that that you can readily match it to a new one. Most of the time, OEM plugs use pretty uncommon terminals that are sometimes proprietary. I'm sure you can find them by searching, but first you need to know what you're looking for. If you can post a pic of the actual terminal and tell me the wire gauge, I can ask around. My father used to own a wire harness shop and is very knowledgeable, and still has connections (no pun intended).

14. Jan 14, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    hvac

hvac Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4X4 Tacoma T|X Pro 2011
    Sony 7" HU with Tomtom navigation, remote starter with 2 way security system.
    hello,
    it looks like you still have enough wires sticking out of that blue plug, why don't you just re-solder them & heat shrink back to the vehicle's wires that were cut?:confused:

15. Jan 16, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    FirsTaco

FirsTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Reading, MA
    Vehicle:
    '22 Ford Bronco Badlands

Products Discussed in

To Top